Seatbelt problem

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The passenger side seatbelt on my 2000 Sebring Convertible is stuck and will not allow the belt to be pulled out.

I've done a couple of searches and found a few other people who have had this problem but found no solutions. It looks like there is an electronic module underneath the seat that controls the seatbelt that may be the problem.

Any ideas other than taking it to the dealer to check it out? I just wonder since it seems to be a common problem if there's been a recall or bulletin put out about this. If so, how would I find out?

TIA!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:
The passenger side seatbelt on my 2000 Sebring Convertible is stuck and will not allow the belt to be pulled out.

I've done a couple of searches and found a few other people who have had this problem but found no solutions. It looks like there is an electronic module underneath the seat that controls the seatbelt that may be the problem.

Any ideas other than taking it to the dealer to check it out? I just wonder since it seems to be a common problem if there's been a recall or bulletin put out about this. If so, how would I find out?

TIA!
I thought there was also a mechanical lock, that would lock the belt in case of hard braking, or sudden deceleration. Many times just pulling and realeasing the belt would release the lock.

In my old Dodge I had to be careful when the belt(s) retracted, if there was a twist in the belt it would jam, and was a bear to get back out again.

jazz lady said:

TIA!
How long has it been going on? I'm thinking maybe the lock that comes on when you are on the brakes isn't releasing. Maybe you could disconnect the input connector and see what happens. Or pump the brakes.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
I thought there was also a mechanical lock, that would lock the belt in case of hard braking, or sudden deceleration. Many times just pulling and realeasing the belt would release the lock.

In my old Dodge I had to be careful when the belt(s) retracted, if there was a twist in the belt it would jam, and was a bear to get back out again.

You can't even budge the belt more than about a half an inch out of the slot in the seat. The belt is not twisted but I've had that happen before.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
desertrat said:
How long has it been going on? I'm thinking maybe the lock that comes on when you are on the brakes isn't releasing. Maybe you could disconnect the input connector and see what happens. Or pump the brakes.

Probably about a week but it could be longer. The passenger side belt hasn't been used that much lately.

I'm just wondering if this is somehow related to the bodyshop work I had done a few months ago. It's on the same side of the car.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
desertrat said:
Get it up to about 60 in the left lane on 235 and slam on the brakes after someone flashes their high beams at you. That should dislodge it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Get it up to about 60 in the left lane on 235 and slam on the brakes after someone flashes their high beams at you. That should dislodge it.

:lmao: I was waiting for someone to say it. :lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It seems to have fixed itself. :yay: My friend was taking a box out of the back seat and pulled the seat forward. When the seat was pushed back into position, the belt worked again. :jameo:

Now the Jeep is another matter... :banghead: