Cloth Diapers

watercolor

yeah yeah
Was wondering what people thought of them. On the conviences of them, along with the cost, and the ease of washing, etc etc. Do you have to use a special detergent with them or just your regular clothes?

Nanny Pam

Sorry WC...but I agree with Catt. When my son was a baby (36 yrs. ago) I used cloth diapers ... but not for long!

nicole_M

Alot of women in my twins group use them. They say it's expensive up front but pays for iteself within the first year.

It's something like $500 up front but you never have to buy them again. And then people actually resell them on eBay....YUCK!

I spent about $4,000 on diapers the first year with our twins, and that didn't incude our oldest's diapers.

Fuzzibunz are a popular brand and have resale value of $8-10 each!!!!

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Can't see the cloth stuff with what comes out of my little one. yes, I am a dad but I change them just as frequently as Mom. :lmao:

CMC122

Go Braves!
I remember my mom using cloth diapers on my little brother, what a PITA they were! Diaper duty sucked!

S

StrwberryKisses

cattitude said:
You have got to be kidding.

I can't imagine using a cloth diaper for anything other than burp cloth.

I totally agree. I would rather throw that $hit away than have to wash those things.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
CMC122 said:
I remember my mom using cloth diapers on my little brother, what a PITA they were! Diaper duty sucked!

All I remember was my mother dunking them in the toilet. :barf:

Crud, when I was potty training the boys and they crapped in their undies, I tossed spiderman in the trash. :lol:

MMDad

Lem Putt
watercolor said:
Was wondering what people thought of them. On the conviences of them, along with the cost, and the ease of washing, etc etc. Do you have to use a special detergent with them or just your regular clothes?

Do you have spetic or sewer? If you are on septic, don't even think of cloth diapers. Your septic may survive, but there is too great of a risk it will not.

From an environmental point of view, cloth diapers are actually worse for the environment because you are using up our limited fresh water, and pumping more waste water into the bay. Sure, disposables take up landfill space, but the impact is less than the damage to the bay.

If we had used cloth diapers, I would have been weirded out about the thought of my clothes being washed in the same washer that was used for those nasty globs my son produced. I'd just always feel contaminated.

Cloth diapers are great to use as burp rags, but that's about it.

S

StrwberryKisses

cattitude said:
Crud, when I was potty training the boys and they crapped in their undies, I tossed spiderman in the trash. :lol:

That is just what I did with my now 4 year old. Its so much easier to replace kids undies.

:getdown:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
MMDad said:
If we had used cloth diapers, I would have been weirded out about the thought of my clothes being washed in the same washer that was used for those nasty globs my son produced. I'd just always feel contaminated.

Somebody gave me the dreaded diaper service for my baby shower with my first son. The thought of using diapers that somebody else's kid had pooped on was more than I could bear. I wiped up barf with them but that was about it.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Speedy70 said:
Send a pm to Greyhound. I think she used them with her first.

:yay: Cool. Thanks!

The cloth diapers back then were different though I thought? And had that plastic cover that was irratating? Now its an all in one- and looking at it all, I wondered if it would just be more cost effective? Instead of like every week or so, buying a box for 27.00. :shrug:

MM- And I know we have a septic. And I didnt know that about the bay. Hrm. Thoughts to think of.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Big fan of cloth diapers here! :howdy:

I used them with both of my kids, except when they were at a sitter or something. The biggest reason is that cloth diapers don't promote diaper rash the way disposables do. It's not a big deal to rinse out a cloth diaper - if you can scoop a catbox or pick up your dog's crap out of the yard, you can take care of a cloth diaper.

The other thing is when the kid starts potty training, it makes it a lot easier. You know how disposables brag about "keeping wetness away from your baby"? Well, when they're potty training, you *want* them to feel that wetness so they get the picture to quit peeing their pants. It's the same concept as training pants. And it's my observation that kids who use cloth diapers potty train a lot sooner than kids in disposables.

Wash cloth diapers separately from other clothing because you'll want to bleach them, use a mild detergent and an unscented fabric softener (not a Bounce sheet).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
watercolor said:
MM- And I know we have a septic. And I didnt know that about the bay. Hrm. Thoughts to think of.
Pooh (haha) to MM. What's the difference between flushing the baby's crap down the toilet now vs. after they're potty trained? Ideally at some point the kid's poop will be flushed down the toilet anyway, so why not now rather than later?