Stitches

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
The first part of this may be too graphic for some, so you can skip to the second paragraph.

On 30 Dec. (Sat.) a serrated blade went about halfway through the tip of my left pinky finger (partially including the nail). In the ER, the doctor had to pull my entire nail out so she could stitch up the nail bed. In the nail bed she used absorbable stitches, and on the outer, tougher part of my finger she used regular sutures.

This past Tuesday I had the regular stitches removed. But I've realized the absorbable stitches are still hanging in there. Is it too early to expect them to be gone? Will they eventually fall out or might I need to go back to the doctor to have them checked as well?

I wish I had really looked at them before my recent doctor visit, but I was too nervous to really poke at it. And now I don't want to return if this is just normal.

Thanks to anyone who might know.

I would think that they are alright...I think that it takes time before the stitches are actually absorbed. I think that I could see my absorbable stitches for a few months, but that was a couple of years ago and my memory is hazy. :huggy:

Angel

~*~*~
I had to have some absorbable stitches pulled from my shin after my melanoma removal because my body was rejecting them and pushed them out. I'm a freak of nature, so I'd expect no less, but luckily the area was almost healed and it was no big deal.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
When I had the stitches in my lip they hung around forever on the inside. The doctor told me he could pull them out if I really wanted, however, he was sure that I didn't cause he'd just have to restitch it. Once it's fully healed, they will pop out. :huggy:

signora

hvp05 said:
The first part of this may be too graphic for some, so you can skip to the second paragraph.

On 30 Dec. (Sat.) a serrated blade went about halfway through the tip of my left pinky finger (partially including the nail). In the ER, the doctor had to pull my entire nail out so she could stitch up the nail bed. In the nail bed she used absorbable stitches, and on the outer, tougher part of my finger she used regular sutures.

This past Tuesday I had the regular stitches removed. But I've realized the absorbable stitches are still hanging in there. Is it too early to expect them to be gone? Will they eventually fall out or might I need to go back to the doctor to have them checked as well?

I wish I had really looked at them before my recent doctor visit, but I was too nervous to really poke at it. And now I don't want to return if this is just normal.

Thanks to anyone who might know.

I think it depends on how bad the cut is and how fast the cut takes to close up (everybody heals differently) and then they should disolve. If you think it's taking too long, you should contact your doctor - they may want to look at it to make sure it is healing right.

bcp

In My Opinion
when I cut my two fingers off and had them put back on, I think I remember the absorbable stitches on the inside bugging me for a couple months. the outside removable stitches came out in three weeks.

I think I'd get them out of there. Just think if they never dissolved and they had to rip your nail out again.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
desertrat said:
I think I'd get them out of there. Just think if they never dissolved and they had to rip your nail out again.
:lol: That was actually on my mind. Several people noted theirs staying in for months... and the nail is expected to take several months to grow back.

Fortunately, I didn't come anywhere near that because they [more or less] fell out this afternoon. (I may have been helping them along...) But I think they served their duty as the wound has closed over.

The lack of a nail is a sensation one does not become easily accustomed to, in any case.

N

nitwhit3286

I remember when I used to take a bath..which was the only thing I could do with a cast on my leg when I went through surgery several years ago..I remember getting the cast off and always soaking it for a while in the tub...the absorbable stitches...would come out..well sometimes if you catch em before they submerse in water...I had all kinds of crap on my leg...regular stitches...staples...absorbable stitches....some kind of absorbable tape...you name it I had it on my leg...yeah so let your hand soak...best advice I can give..