Crab and Spinach Pasta with Fontina

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Keep these five ingredients on hand, and you can make this tasty recipe at your convenience!

Prep: 30 minutes; Bake: 30 minutes; Oven: 375F; Stand: 10 minutes; Makes: 6 servings (377 cal. per serving)

3 and 1/2 c. dried bow ties (8 oz.)
1 10-oz. package frozen chohpped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 6- to 6.5 oz. cans crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
1 26 oz jar tomato-based pasta sauce
1 and 1/2 c. shredded fontina cheese (6 oz.)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine spinach and crabmeat.

2. Cover bottom of a 2-quart square baking dish with 1 c. of the pasta sauce. Top with pasta. Top pasta evenly with crab mixture. Sprinkle with half of hte cheese. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

3. Bake, uncovered, in a 375F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until sauce is bubly around edges adn cheese is slightly golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

***I added a few spices, basil, oregano, etc. to the spinach/crab mixture for a little more flavor. ***

Enjoy!!!

J

jaybeeztoo

forever jewel said:
Keep these five ingredients on hand, and you can make this tasty recipe at your convenience!

Prep: 30 minutes; Bake: 30 minutes; Oven: 375F; Stand: 10 minutes; Makes: 6 servings (377 cal. per serving)

3 and 1/2 c. dried bow ties (8 oz.)
1 10-oz. package frozen chohpped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 6- to 6.5 oz. cans crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
1 and 1/2 c. shredded fontina cheese (6 oz.)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine spinach and crabmeat.

2. Cover bottom of a 2-quart square baking dish with 1 c. of the pasta sauce. Top with pasta. Top pasta evenly with crab mixture. Sprinkle with half of hte cheese. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

3. Bake, uncovered, in a 375F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until sauce is bubly around edges adn cheese is slightly golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

***I added a few spices, basil, oregano, etc. to the spinach/crab mixture for a little more flavor. ***

Enjoy!!!

Thanks FJ, that just sounds GOOD!!! :drool:

PJay

Thanks for sharing. Lately I've been in the trying new recipes mode. Two I tried recently will never be made again.

I hope I can find this fontina cheese. Never heard of it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
forever jewel said:
Evidently its sold at Giant. :shrug:

Yes, it is. Fontina cheese:

Also called Fontina Val d'Aosta after the Italian valley from which it comes, this is one of Italy's great cheeses. Semifirm yet creamy, fontina is a cow's-milk cheese with about 45 percent milk fat. It has a dark golden brown rind with a pale yellow interior dotted with tiny holes. The mild, nutty flavor, and the fact that it melts easily and smoothly, make fontina perfect for almost any use. Besides Italy, fontinas are made in other countries including Denmark, France and the United States. Many of these fontinas, especially when young, tend to be blander and softer than the Italian original.

It's often used to make fondues. If you don't have/can't find Fontina, mozzarella or another soft cheese can be substituted.

The recipe sounds delicious and combines three of my favorite things: crab meat, spinach, and cheese. :yum:

BlackSheep

forever jewel said:
Thanks for the recipe! :huggy:
I usually make my own sauce from scratch but lately I've been using Classico's Florentine Spinach and Cheese when in a hurry-delish! :yay: