Aviano Italy

Kerad

Blondie76 said:
Any military people on here that have been stationed at Aviano AFB?

I wasn't permanently stationed there...but spent 4 months there while deployed for Allied Force in 1999.

mrweb

Iron City
Kerad said:
I wasn't permanently stationed there...but spent 4 months there while deployed for Allied Force in 1999.

Spent three years there awhile back. What do you want to know?

mrweb

Iron City
Kerad said:

It was back in the 1980's before the buildup for Bosnia and Iraq.

mrweb

Iron City
Nanny Pam said:
I'll join the USAF if I can be stationed there.

Crabcake was there.

I lived in a town called Caneva, about 15 k East of the base, just at the foot of the mountains, it was absolutely beautiful. This is the castle in the center of town.

Attachments

• caneva7w.jpg
    caneva7w.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 111

Blondie76

mrweb said:
Spent three years there awhile back. What do you want to know?

My soon to be hubby and I will be stationed there next January for 3 years. Just trying to get a feel for the place. Some of the websites I found have been somewhat helpful but wanted a personal point of view.

mrweb

Iron City
Blondie76 said:
My soon to be hubby and I will be stationed there next January for 3 years. Just trying to get a feel for the place. Some of the websites I found have been somewhat helpful but wanted a personal point of view.

What service is your husband in?

As far as a feel for "the place," it really is a gateway to all of Southern Europe. Venice is just an hour away by train (the train systems in Italy are great). Drops you off on the Grand Canal. Do you like mountains? You got it, as a backdrop to the base. Food? Northern Italian is the best in cream sauce based pasta and the pizza contuto is to die for. The people, wonderful if you treat them with respect by making an attempt to learn Italian and learn their ways. Remember, you are in their country, respect that.

I will PM my e-mail if you want more info and photos.

mrweb

Iron City
Blondie76 said:

Check your PMr

mrweb

Iron City
Pete said:
Passed through there several times. Never staioned there though. What I did see was great :yay:

In the spring and fall my buddy and I would play 9 on the base (course was flat and sucked but it did have a nine holes with a tee).....|||||| grass in the fairway, and a place where they shortcut the grass and put a hole in the middle for a green, it was wonderful!!!! After, we would stop at the bar for a bite to eat and a beer, then drive up the "hill" and ski the afternoon away. It was a great place to be stationed.