How "wired" are your kids?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Meaning technology wise.

Our family is completely wired. It just makes so much more sense to me to get your children familiar with technology. All homework (besides worksheets sent home from school and such) is done on the computer. All spelling homework, reports, special projects etc..

My youngest just turned in a school project on Wangari Maathai (Nobel Peace Prize recipient) and she did the report and was also able to download an interview with her which she was able to import to her I-Pod that she can take to class for everyone to listen to.

The internet rocks. :yay: So much better than when I was in school and being limited to what's available in the local library (which was not much in my small town :lol: )

Anyway, what say you with regard to "wired kids"?

smoothmarine187

We still hammer out letters with a piece of slate and a chisel......if it was good enough for the cave man.......its good enough for me!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Christy said:
Meaning technology wise.

Our family is completely wired. It just makes so much more sense to me to get your children familiar with technology. All homework (besides worksheets sent home from school and such) is done on the computer. All spelling homework, reports, special projects etc..

My youngest just turned in a school project on Wangari Maathai (Nobel Peace Prize recipient) and she did the report and was also able to download an interview with her which she was able to import to her I-Pod that she can take to class for everyone to listen to.

The internet rocks. :yay: So much better than when I was in school and being limited to what's available in the local library (which was not much in my small town :lol: )

Anyway, what say you with regard to "wired kids"?
My 5 and 7 year olds have had their own computers since they were each three. The other day my daughter finished reading part of a book and told me she was on "level 7" instead of "chapter 7" :lmao:

I say that as long as the parents are involved with knowing exactly what kids are doing, using the technology is great!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My kids are wired - it's just the way it is now. Kind of like asking if your family has a car or a TV.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Chasey_Lane said:
:yeahthat: Both girls have all those gadgets and accessories for them, too. :lol:

Having Day as a husband I would hope so.

Our son has been able to use the computer since he was 2... Hell he taught me where the clip art was in word.

He's 4 and gets online to mess around at playhouse disney.... He likes to play pin ball on the pc too.

We started him out on some learning games when he figured that by clicking the mouse, the comuter does some cool things

B

Bronwyn

We have a PC, X-box, PS2 and that's it so far. If my oldest son would ever listen to his radio/CD player, I might consider buying him an iPod. I'll be buying a laptop soon. I guess we are a little behind the times.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
My kids are wired - it's just the way it is now. Kind of like asking if your family has a car or a TV.

You would think, but I know of MANY parents who view computers and the internet as the right hand of Satan. :jameo: I think anyone who isn't getting their children used to omputer technology is doing them a great disservice.

Personally, I think they should be teaching Microsoft Office skills in elementary school. :yay:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
My teenage girls all have cell phones, Ipods, computers etc. They're pretty wired.

My 9 year old stays "WIRED" all the time without all that.

Christy

b*tch rocket
LordStanley said:
Having Day as a husband I would hope so.

Our son has been able to use the computer since he was 2... Hell he taught me where the clip art was in word.

He's 4 and gets online to mess around at playhouse disney.... He likes to play pin ball on the pc too.

My daughter is the same way. She fixed my Windows media player the other day. :lol: She's also a big VMK (Virtual Magic Kingdom) junkie.

I love the fact that she can find her way around the net better than I can. She does Google Earth, Dictionary.com and knows how to import, export, and convert files to the appropriate format. She's essentially my at home IT support. :yay:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think the knowlege is all fine and good. I agree it certainly helps with school work. However, I don't think kids really learn HOW to write papers, etc. I also find that many kids don't seem to use their imagination anymore and many are expected to be entertained. I like to see kids outside actually playing and exercising.

Christy

b*tch rocket
cattitude said:
I think the knowlege is all fine and good. I agree it certainly helps with school work. However, I don't think kids really learn HOW to write papers, etc. I also find that many kids don't seem to use their imagination anymore and many are expected to be entertained. I like to see kids outside actually playing and exercising.

I disagree. Well to an extent. Sure any kid can be a slug with too much of anything, but my kids, and most kids who've been over, still have too much energy to be completely glued to the computer, tv, video game etc..

I also don't believe that use of the computer is what prohibits kids these days from learning HOW to write a paper. It's the lowering of standards within the school system.

sockgirl77

Christy said:
I disagree. Well to an extent. Sure any kid can be a slug with too much of anything, but my kids, and most kids who've been over, still have too much energy to be completely glued to the computer, tv, video game etc..

I also don't believe that use of the computer is what prohibits kids these days from learning HOW to write a paper. It's the lowering of standards within the school system.
I'm wondering if penmanship has gotten worse over the years. :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
sockgirl77 said:
I'm wondering if penmanship has gotten worse over the years. :shrug:

Who actually writes anymore? :shrug: :lol: Actually, my youngest still writes often (on her own). I think it's a girl thing. With my son, forget about it, he only writes if absolutely forced.

sockgirl77

Christy said:
Who actually writes anymore? :shrug: :lol: Actually, my youngest still writes often (on her own). I think it's a girl thing. With my son, forget about it, he only writes if absolutely forced.
I write all of the time. I write letters to my friends overseas. I write letters to my grandparents. I keep a journal. I don't write in it every day but I write in it when I have to clear my mind. I hand write thank you notes. I was raised to send out thank you notes and I plan on raising mine to do the same. :yay:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
sockgirl77 said:
I was raised to send out thank you notes and I plan on raising mine to do the same. :yay:
:yeahthat:

Me too and my son has been writing them for years. I think hand-writing ANYTHING is becoming a lost art. At the very least, it is a fine motor skill that every child should have.