Matrix Vs. Spot metering

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Yeah I now I can look this up elsewhere. I'd rather discuss it here!

What are the pros and cons of matrix metering vs. spot metering? What situations would you choose one over the other?

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
VERY basically - matrix metering takes the entire picture into account for determining the correct exposure for the entire scene. Spot metering only takes a specific point into account for setting the exposure. Usually, the center focus spot in 35mm is the area used for the spot metering.

Spot metering is best to use when you want to focus or base the exposure on a single area like someone's face.

Matrix is if you want the entire picture to have the same exposure - like a crowd or scenery.

Lugnut said:
Yeah I now I can look this up elsewhere. I'd rather discuss it here!

What are the pros and cons of matrix metering vs. spot metering? What situations would you choose one over the other?
I'd say something like taking a picture of a person wearing a hat on the beach, lots of light, right? Spot exposure on their face or it'll be very dark.

ylexot

Super Genius
desertrat said:
I'd say something like taking a picture of a person wearing a hat on the beach, lots of light, right? Spot exposure on their face or it'll be very dark.
I generally just use matrix. In the situation you just described, use flash.

BTW, a lot of cameras don't have a real "spot" meter (at least most Canon DSLRs don't). They use a small center area, but it's not really what would be considered a spot meter.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I'm trying to decide whether to make the jump to a DLSR or rather whether to make the jump sooner instead of later! :lmao:

There's still a lot I need to learn but bigger better toys are ALWAYS a plus!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ylexot said:
I generally just use matrix. In the situation you just described, use flash.

BTW, a lot of cameras don't have a real "spot" meter (at least most Canon DSLRs don't). They use a small center area, but it's not really what would be considered a spot meter.
I use the spot if I want to focus or meter on a particular subject but they aren't or won't be in the middle of the shot.

Point the center spot at the subject, push the shutter release button halfway, re-align the shot to where I want the subect, push the shutter release the rest of the way.

ylexot

Super Genius
itsbob said:
I use the spot if I want to focus or meter on a particular subject but they aren't or won't be in the middle of the shot.

Point the center spot at the subject, push the shutter release button halfway, re-align the shot to where I want the subect, push the shutter release the rest of the way.
On my camera, it will re-adjust the exposure if I recompose. I have to use the Auto Exposure (AE) lock function to do that (just hit another button). If I was going to use spot metering a lot, I'd probably configure the camera to AF/AE lock on the thumb button. A wedding photographer that I know has his set to AF lock on the thumb button.

Anyway, there are a lot of different ways to work. So far, I just like using the matrix metering to get the overall exposure right. I can adjust the expose later as long as there aren't blown-out highlights (which the 5D is incredible about).

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
ylexot said:
On my camera, it will re-adjust the exposure if I recompose. I have to use the Auto Exposure (AE) lock function to do that (just hit another button). If I was going to use spot metering a lot, I'd probably configure the camera to AF/AE lock on the thumb button. A wedding photographer that I know has his set to AF lock on the thumb button.

Anyway, there are a lot of different ways to work. So far, I just like using the matrix metering to get the overall exposure right. I can adjust the expose later as long as there aren't blown-out highlights (which the 5D is incredible about).

Yup same here. Just figured that out :smile: Now I use the AE lock, then use the half press to focus on the subject before moving the view around the way Bob mentioned.

Danzig

example of spot meter to face and matrix

Matrix Spot

Attachments

• matrix.jpg
    matrix.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 99
  • spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 96

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ylexot said:
On my camera...
I don't remember the movie..

"Dad can I borrow the camera..

Son, I don't own a camera.... I own a Nikon!"

Of course mine is 27 years old, if only I could convince BG that I NEED a DSLR Nikon..

ylexot

Super Genius
itsbob said:
Of course mine is 27 years old, if only I could convince BG that I NEED a DSLR Nikon..
The D50 is only ~$350...of course, that just-released camera is the equivalent of my 2-generation-old Digital Rebel.

Actually, it was probably a good marketing strategy by Nikon...get people hooked on Nikon lenses.