Equipment input

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I'm looking at the following equipment as my initial foray into DSLR's...

Cannon 400D (Rebel XTi) with kit lens
Speedlight 430EX flash
Cannon 75-300 F4.0-5.6 USM lens

Total price is around $1100

Any thoughts?

Ponytail

Look into the new Nikons instead. Particulary the D50 and D70. they have new chips that shoot faster than the previous models, and the D40 and 60.

These use the standard SLR lenses that fit other Nikon film and Digital cams. I was looking at the D70 at besy buy at Christmas time. I was VERY impressed. I still shoot film cuz my current digital is just too slow sometimes between shots and I havea VERY fast flash card. But these new Nikon SLR's are something else.

You can get the new D50 and out fit yourself with a nice flash, tripod and zoom lens for less than you are looking to pay for that Canon and have enough features and pixels to keep you VERY happy for a LONG time.

I'm VERY partial to Nikons by the way. Not that there's anything wrong with Canon's. Lots of pros use them. I've just always felt that nikons are a better quality camera, and liek the way they feel in my hands and find them easier to use than the canons that I've tried.

That's my humble opinion.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Ponytail said:
Look into the new Nikons instead. Particulary the D50 and D70. they have new chips that shoot faster than the previous models, and the D40 and 60.

These use the standard SLR lenses that fit other Nikon film and Digital cams. I was looking at the D70 at besy buy at Christmas time. I was VERY impressed. I still shoot film cuz my current digital is just too slow sometimes between shots and I havea VERY fast flash card. But these new Nikon SLR's are something else.

You can get the new D50 and out fit yourself with a nice flash, tripod and zoom lens for less than you are looking to pay for that Canon and have enough features a pixels to keep you VERY happy for a LONG time.

I'm VERY partial to Nikons by the way. Not that there's anything wrong with Canon's. Lots of pros use them. I've just always felt that nikons are a better quality camera, and liek the way they feel in my hands and find them easier to use than the canons that I've tried.

That's my humble opinion.

I've been doing a LOT of reading at DP Review about both Nikon and Cannon. It's hard wading through all the Fanatics for objective comparisons but I'm trying.

I'm down to either the D50 or the XTi and leaning toward the XTi purely because of comments on the DP Review forums.

Ponytail

Lugnut said:
I've been doing a LOT of reading at DP Review about both Nikon and Cannon. It's hard wading through all the Fanatics for objective comparisons but I'm trying.

I'm down to either the D50 or the XTi and leaning toward the XTi purely because of comments on the DP Review forums.

Go to Best Buy and get them to let you try it. they put a battery and flash card in it and let me try taking a few photos. Just by standing there, you can shoot up toward the lights, at a distance, into the dark corners and people walking by to get different situations.

I also like Ritz Camera centers for their expertise. they don't seem to push any one product, 'cept for the extended warranties. But they know their cameras inside and out.

Lugnut said:
I'm looking at the following equipment as my initial foray into DSLR's...

Cannon 400D (Rebel XTi) with kit lens
Speedlight 430EX flash
Cannon 75-300 F4.0-5.6 USM lens

Total price is around $1100

Any thoughts?
I've got the 75-300 1:4- 5.6 w/IS, it's awesome. Also the 420EX flash which I like a lot. I'd like to get a 400D but the old Rebel seems to work ok at a piddling 6MP. I do like the dust elimination feature though.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Ponytail said:
Go to Best Buy and get them to let you try it. they put a battery and flash card in it and let me try taking a few photos. Just by standing there, you can shoot up toward the lights, at a distance, into the dark corners and people walking by to get different situations.

I also like Ritz Camera centers for their expertise. they don't seem to push any one product, 'cept for the extended warranties. But they know their cameras inside and out.

Best Buy isn't going to have a 430EX flash. Ritz should have it though. You'll pay too much at Ritz though.

ylexot

Super Genius
Ponytail said:
I'd take my Canon 5D against anything Nikon makes...and that's not even their top-of-the-line. :shrug:

The latest Popular Photography had a shootout between the 10MP DSLR's. The Nikon D80 was their top pick, but it's also $200 more than the #2 pick (and it was a close second)...the Canon XTi.

One thing to keep in mind though...8MP is plenty for 8x10 pictures. If you go for Canon, you could save some money by going for the XT (or a used Digital Rebel), but the XTi does have some cool new features.

Do you think you need an external flash? I rarely use mine. I prefer to use fast glass (i.e. the $70 50mm f/1.8) and crank up the ISO.

For lenses, look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 macro as a substitute for the kit lens. Look at the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro.

Do you think you need an external flash? I rarely use mine. I prefer to use fast glass (i.e. the $70 50mm f/1.8) and crank up the ISO.
I agree, I was surprised at the small difference it made. I like that you can aim it independently though.

ylexot

Super Genius
vanbells said:
I sweat your balls. I finally ordered the L series 70-200 2.8 IS USM a couple weeks ago. :yahoo:
:clap: I'm sure you'll love it. I went for the Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro and I love it. Most of those Key West shots were with that lens. I mainly went for the Sigma because of the price difference. It doesn't have IS, but it does have macro capability and it cost half as much. I'd love to have IS though...

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Just ordered the Canon XTi and Speedlite 430EX flash.

I'm going to hold off on lenses until I've had time to go shooting and decide what I really want/need.

I'm looking forward to getting the new toys!

Lugnut said:

I'm going to hold off on lenses until I've had time to go shooting and decide what I really want/need.

Have you seen that lens rental site? I looked at it, but everything I was interested in was booked up.

Jameo

What?!
Lugnut said:

:clap: