TriCounty Animal Shelter

HillBillyChick

Due to health reasons, I may have to give up my iguana. I have been told that the shelter takes them to Baltimore to a rescue facility. I was also told that they do not put them down but keep them and take good care of them. Should I believe this?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I would find him a suitable home YOURSELF he is your responsibility not the shelters..You can do it place an ad on somd.

HillBillyChick

Pasofever said:
I would find him a suitable home YOURSELF he is your responsibility not the shelters..You can do it place an ad on somd.

I have thought of that. I am not very trusting of people when it comes to the proper care of my iguana. And my health is precarious enough that my doctor used the term ASAP. Do you like iguanas?

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
HillBillyChick said:
I have thought of that. I am not very trusting of people when it comes to the proper care of my iguana. And my health is precarious enough that my doctor used the term ASAP. Do you like iguanas?

I am sorry to hear about your bad health. I hope you get better soon. As for your pet, trust yourself, put up the ad. do NOT let him go unless you feel comfortable that the people know what they are doing. I have never even held an Iguana so I would know nothing. Ask pertanat (SP) questions that only experienced people would know. You will know when the right people come along. Good luck with your health and your pet. Maaybe someone would foster him till you get better. :huggy:

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
TriCounty most likely won't take it to anywhere, some rescues do go there to pick up animals (like hamsters, etc) If it requires special care and caging you will need to be leaving what you currently keep it in. You might want to call and ask if they have a rescue that comes in weekly to pick them up. Best case you rehome it yourself.

MD Iguana Rescues:

MARS (Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show) Reptile & Amphibian Rescue
P. O. Box 65012
Baltimore, MD 21209
410-580-0250 or email

Michael Marchewka
Aspen Hill Reptile Rescue
Silver Spring, MD 20906
(301) 933-8331

Joe and Sandra McArtor
Preston
410-673-9851

Montgomery County Humane Society
14645 Rothgeb Drive
Rockville 20850

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
tri county know what there doing. They have a couple reptiles there and they dont put any thing down, there really good people there.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
flarenuphope said:
tri county know what there doing. They have a couple reptiles there and they dont put any thing down, there really good people there.

:confused:

They don't put ANYTHING down or just they don't kill reptiles?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
they dont put it down unless it has a severe health problem. Like if there is too many dogs they send them to a kennel, then they come back when theres room.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
flarenuphope said:
they dont put it down unless it has a severe health problem. Like if there is too many dogs they send them to a kennel, then they come back when theres room.

I'm sorry, but what planet have you been living on?

They do the best they can, but they "euthanize" dogs and cats, due to space constraints as well as temperment.

HillBillyChick

flarenuphope said:

What I actually was told was that they don't put certain types of animals down. Farm animals, and reptiles, for example...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
flarenuphope said:

gotcha...................Id like to take a trip too and never leave the farm..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
HillBillyChick said:
What I actually was told was that they don't put certain types of animals down. Farm animals, and reptiles, for example...
I can't remember who was posting about a name for her new iguana. You could search and see if she is interested. She appeared to be very knowledgeable.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
BS Gal said:
I can't remember who was posting about a name for her new iguana. You could search and see if she is interested. She appeared to be very knowledgeable.
Mousebaby

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
HillBilly how big is he? what is his diet at this time? I have an aquarium set up and crickets and mealworms heat lamp but not an ultraviolet A/B bulb which they need..I could keep him till we find him a suitable home if you have a light for him..

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
HillBillyChick said:

That's probably the truth of it. I do know that the hamster and guinea (sp) pig rescue group come's in there quite a bit. I'm sure they haven't killed the birds they've had come in either and they don't drain the fish tanks....

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
bresamil said:
Mousebaby
That's what I thought, but, you know, I didn't want to have someone getting a pm if they didn't know what was going on. :lmao: I'm thoughtful that way.

HillBillyChick

My igs name is Spike = he is close to 50 inches long and lives in an enclosure, that is really large, in my living room. He eats veggies - collards, turnip and mustard greens, hibiscus leaves and flowers, squashes, seedless grapes, arugula, watercress, melons, raspberries and blueberries, etc...it can get pricey to feed him correctly. He probably should be longer/larger but we think his growth has been stunted due to poor living conditions when he was younger. He was in a 55 gal. tank with no UVB, no heat emitter - just a light bulb. That is one reason I am so scared to just give him away.....there are no easy solutions here. My house is small - I wish I could afford to just build him his own bedroom!!

M

Mousebaby

Oh boy, as much as I would like to take him, I can't. I don't know anything about iguana's. You want to know about Chinese Water Dragons I could give you an earfull. I am just learning about this iguana I bought and he's not doing so great. I can't seem to get the little guy to eat anything. Mayber Corner Critters could help you out in finding him a home. :shrug: It's worth a shot! :huggy:

HillBillyChick

BS Gal said:

Mousebaby used to have a chinese water dragon - this is her first iguana so I have been talking with her already....

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
HillBillyChick said:
My igs name is Spike = he is close to 50 inches long and lives in an enclosure, that is really large, in my living room. He eats veggies - collards, turnip and mustard greens, hibiscus leaves and flowers, squashes, seedless grapes, arugula, watercress, melons, raspberries and blueberries, etc...it can get pricey to feed him correctly. He probably should be longer/larger but we think his growth has been stunted due to poor living conditions when he was younger. He was in a 55 gal. tank with no UVB, no heat emitter - just a light bulb. That is one reason I am so scared to just give him away.....there are no easy solutions here. My house is small - I wish I could afford to just build him his own bedroom!!

Sorry I am not set up for one that big either...shelter might not have room I would place and ad and screen screen screen until you find the right home..good luck