Okay, here's my peeve of the day

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
WHY don't more restaurants serve pitchers of beer??? If they have draft, what's the big deal about offering pitchers???

And, on top of that, they cheap bestids won't even give you a pitcher of tea or water. Is this just pitcher phobia or something? It's not like the pitchers themselves are expensive, and it's not like it's going to cost them a fortune in water or tea, especially since restaurants that DO give you a pitcher load it up with ice to keep it cold.

There are literally TWO restaurants up here that serve pitchers - Pizza Hut and Glory Days Grill. Even Friday's doesn't serve pitchers.

What's the deal with that???

:yeahthat: I love me some unsweetened iced tea and it would behoove them to bring a pitcher of unsweetened iced tea and sit it on my table rather than have to visit my table several times in order to fill my glass.

Good peeve, Vrai. :yay:

Pete

Repete
vraiblonde said:
WHY don't more restaurants serve pitchers of beer??? If they have draft, what's the big deal about offering pitchers???

And, on top of that, they cheap bestids won't even give you a pitcher of tea or water. Is this just pitcher phobia or something? It's not like the pitchers themselves are expensive, and it's not like it's going to cost them a fortune in water or tea, especially since restaurants that DO give you a pitcher load it up with ice to keep it cold.

There are literally TWO restaurants up here that serve pitchers - Pizza Hut and Glory Days Grill. Even Friday's doesn't serve pitchers.

Limited roster. You can't have that many relif pitchers or you lose position players.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kwillia said:
Good peeve, Vrai. :yay:
Thanks! I'm a constant tea drinker as well, and it irritates me to have to flag the waitress down every five minutes for a refill.

We used to go to Bentz Street all the time and they'd give me a pitcher of tea, even if I was the only one drinking it. Then they turned it into some yuppie scum meat market and the first thing to go was...you guessed it...the pitcher.

:mad:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Something I've noticed about pitchers is that they've become much smaller.

Used to be you could get 4 or more mugs out of a single pitcher. :shrug:

vraiblonde said:
Thanks! I'm a constant tea drinker as well, and it irritates me to have to flag the waitress down every five minutes for a refill.

We used to go to Bentz Street all the time and they'd give me a pitcher of tea, even if I was the only one drinking it. Then they turned it into some yuppie scum meat market and the first thing to go was...you guessed it...the pitcher.

:mad:
Well, then I would make it a point to pre-dehydrate, going in parched, sit close to the ladies room, and chug-a-lug...:mad:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Is the little crack-house Pizza place on the corner of Market and 4th street still there? They used to serve beer by the pitcher; and their NY style was delicious.

M

Mousebaby

I also drink a lot of tea. Monterey's has huge glasses and I drink 2 maybe 3 of those when I'm there. So when I go to somewhere like Asahi, I keep that little waitress hoppin! :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

...I don't think it's $$$. Aren't pitchers at GD like $18 or so and a single draft like $4.50 and we get 4 from a pitcher?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
Aren't pitchers at GD like $18 or so and a single draft like $4.50 and we get 4 from a pitcher?
I don't remember exactly but it seems about even, give a buck or two.

keekee

Mousebaby said:
I also drink a lot of tea. Monterey's has huge glasses and I drink 2 maybe 3 of those when I'm there. So when I go to somewhere like Asahi, I keep that little waitress hoppin! :lmao:

Have you tried Monterey's large draft beer?
The "mug" is almost the size of a pitcher.
I can get trashed off just one beer. :cheers:

Coventry17

I can address this from a corporate stand point. The restaurants want the wait staff, and even the management in some cases, to interact with the customers as much as possible. When I was a restaurant manager in the 80's and early 90's, the manager who was working the dining area on any given shift was required to greet every single party. We were required to do so carrying a pitcher of tea and a pot of coffee. Not having a pitcher on the table requires constant refills and therefore, constant visits. Not saying it's right or wrong (isn't the CUSTOMER supposed to always be right?), but that's the justification.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Coventry17 said:
Not having a pitcher on the table requires constant refills and therefore, constant visits.
Okay, I can see that. But it's still dumb. It's not like they're constantly running over to check on you anyway. If they did, I wouldn't care so much about the pitcher.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
vraiblonde said:

Because it attracts the type of clientele that will drink beer by the pitcher? Just sayin.....

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I had understood that bars and restaurants could not legally sell drinks to patrons who were visibly drunk, based on the judgment of the server. I don't know if that's accurate. If it is, I can imagine a restaurant not wanting to provide beer pitchers so the servers can more closely monitor the patrons. Theoretically, a large party at a table could order a pitcher, and one person could stay behind and finish the entire pitcher.