What do you think? Should this be allowed?

Should children under the age of 18 be allowed in the gym?

• Yes

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
N

nitwhit3286

This is the letter I wrote to my apartment complex concerning the gym:

I have a concern regarding the apartment complex gym. This evening I went to the gym and noticed 3 young children..all under the age of 10 on the gym equipment. One was on the treadmill belly down as if sliding on it, another was on one of the fitness bikes and another was perched on a seat of the weight equipment. They were all accompanied by a mother who was using the eliptical, not supervising her children. As soon as I walked in, they quickly left. About thirty minutes later another mother and her daughter whom was most definitely under the age of 18 (my guess-timate would be around 14) proceeded to use the fitness bike while the mother sat on another piece of gym equipment. I don't know if this is a case of liabilty in regards to the apartment complex itself. I think this issue needs to be addressed to the residents of the apartment complex in regards to who is able to access the gym.

N

nitwhit3286

morganj614 said:
I think that stick up her :gossip: makes it hard to sit on the exercise bike :shrug:

I use the eliptical thank you very much..and I really want some feedback on this.... tyvm

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
IMO, as long as the kids are using the equipment properly and have a parent present, I wouldn't care. But, in the case of the little girl laying on the treadmill...I'd probably give her mom a dirty look and leave it at that. :shrug: As long as they aren't hindering me in any way, I try not to go out of my way to prevent someone from doing something stupid.

PrepH4U

nitwhit3286 said:

I have a concern regarding the apartment complex gym. This evening I went to the gym and noticed 3 young children..all under the age of 10 on the gym equipment. One was on the treadmill belly down as if sliding on it, another was on one of the fitness bikes and another was perched on a seat of the weight equipment. They were all accompanied by a mother who was using the eliptical, not supervising her children. As soon as I walked in, they quickly left. About thirty minutes later another mother and her daughter whom was most definitely under the age of 18 (my guess-timate would be around 14) proceeded to use the fitness bike while the mother sat on another piece of gym equipment. I don't know if this is a case of liabilty in regards to the apartment complex itself. I think this issue needs to be addressed to the residents of the apartment complex in regards to who is able to access the gym.

What the 14 yr old wasn't old enough to ride by herself? :shrug: :killingme

morganj614

nitwhit3286 said:
I use the eliptical thank you very much..and I really want some feedback on this.... tyvm

Fine, why didn't you just speak to the parent and address your problem right then and there?

Pooh31

I dont know what apartment complex you live in, but in mine children are not allowed in there without thier parents. My daughter goes with me and walks the treadmill and I see no problem with it and she is 12. In order to use our gym, we have to have a special key

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most hotel gyms have a rule that under 16 are not allowed unless accompanied by a parent, and under 12 aren't allowed period. I do not see why an apartment compex wouldn't have a similar rule - it's not fair to the tenants who PAY to have access to the gym equipment to have to deal with squabs running all over the place and being a nuisance.

And what's wrong with that stupid mother, anyway? You're supposed to get someone to watch your kids so you can exercise in peace. :rolleyes: Who the hell takes their kids to the gym with them, unless there's a sitting service???

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Just toss a free weight at them and spout "This is your first warning""
nitwhit3286 said:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
nitwhit3286 said:

You want feedback? Quit complaining ... at least she didn't have 'em running around a strip joint or a crack house. She's exposing them to fitness. BFD! :shrug:

MYOB, plug your ear buds in, hop your azz on a bike and worry about things you CAN control.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
morganj614 said:
Fine, why didn't you just speak to the parent and address your problem right then and there?
What good is a complex manager if residents have to handle situations like this on their own? Nitwit has a right to complain about this.

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
What good is a complex manager if residents have to handle situations like this on their own? Nitwit has a right to complain about this.

Because she's an adult (supposedly). Now, if she approached the mother, and the mother told her to eff off and the kids were acting like heathens, THEN talk to the apartment manager.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
You want feedback? Quit complaining ... at least she didn't have 'em running around a strip joint or a crack house. She's exposing them to fitness. BFD!
I'd rather have the little bastards running around a crack house than goofing around in a gym where I'm trying to exercise.

Real gyms (ProFitness, etc) won't even let you bring your kids into the gym area because they're disruptive and run around like lunatics. They go to the child care place or they don't come at all.

morganj614

vraiblonde said:

Were they in her way or she just didn't want to look at them? If they were on something she wanted to use, just say excuse me :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
Because she's an adult (supposedly). Now, if she approached the mother, and the mother told her to eff off and the kids were acting like heathens, THEN talk to the apartment manager.
:rolleyes:

Nitwit, contact the manager and ask them what the deal is with the gym - if little kids are allowed to run around in there. I'd think it would be a liability issue, if nothing else. Some squab drops a weight on their foot, and guess who will be discussing things with a lawyer?

PrepH4U

vraiblonde said:
True but, she said the 3 kids and Mom left as soon as she entered. So that means they didn't interfere with her using the equipment right?
Except that 14 yr old was using the bike and her mom was on a different piece of equipment. I still don't see a problem.

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
I'd rather have the little bastards running around a crack house than goofing around in a gym where I'm trying to exercise.

Real gyms (ProFitness, etc) won't even let you bring your kids into the gym area because they're disruptive and run around like lunatics. They go to the child care place or they don't come at all.

But this isn't profitness. It's an apartment comlex gym ... and apparently the other woman had just as much right to be there as Numbnut. Cut the momma some slack. At least she's getting off her ass and exercising vs. sitting on a couch eating bon-bons while watching soaps while the kids mix chemicals in the kitchen. :jet:

morganj614

In an apt. complex aren't there rules? If a mom was breaking the rules, then you have a right to complain. Otherwise they have as much right to the equipment as you do. Maybe they couldn't get a sitter?