Johns Hopkins University Center for talented youth

punjabigyrl

Since my daughter scored really high marks on her 4th grade MSA test. She got a letter from Johns Hopkins University Center of talented youth (JHU/CTY) to take a test. She's in 5th grade and will be tested at the 8th grade level. I was curious as to how many parents registered their kids and for those who have taken it what to really expect? From the child who took it. After she takes the test and depending on the results she can take certain courses through online classes. Any parents having their kids taking these courses????? Just curious on what she can look forward to. She is very excited about it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My son got the same letter years ago and if I recall, Kwillia's daughter did. It's somewhat of a scam..you end up having to pay $$. I'll see what I can find.

aosmiles

I am close to a family who did this. The girl is very smart. She is now in medical school and has all kinds of educational honors. The family seemed to enjoy the program and had nothing bad to say about it. I don't know about the money factor, but I am sure some expense is involved. May be worth checking out.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I got a letter from JHU/CTY in like 7th grade asking me to take the SAT, I had qualified from a test I had taken in 4th grade. I took the SAT, but it didn't cost us anything in classes or test fees. I got an award from JHU/CTY for my score on the test a few months later.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think they send them out to all the kids who have a certain GPA. My son got his in the 5th grade. I think they want you to feel like your kid is special but all they really want is money.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that you shouldn't be proud if your child did receive the same type of letter, just that I think it's more of a money-making thing than an accomplishment for your child.

Last edited:
cattitude said:
My son got the same letter years ago and if I recall, Kwillia's daughter did. It's somewhat of a scam..you end up having to pay $$. I'll see what I can find.
:yeahthat: I did a lot of research and came to the opinion that it was a big money pit.

cattitude said:
I think they send them out to all the kids who have a certain GPA. My son got his in the 5th grade. I think they want you to feel like your kid is special but all they really want is money.
It's based on the national standard testing and they send it to the kids who score in the top 3% nationwide.

jayden0405

My son received the same thing in 6th & 7th grade, he actually just took the SAT's this past weekend. I did in fact have to pay for him to take them, but I feel it's something that will give him a feel of how things are going to be once he gets in High School. They stated he was selected through teachers, MSA scores and GPA.

punjabigyrl said:
Since my daughter scored really high marks on her 4th grade MSA test. She got a letter from Johns Hopkins University Center of talented youth (JHU/CTY) to take a test. She's in 5th grade and will be tested at the 8th grade level. I was curious as to how many parents registered their kids and for those who have taken it what to really expect? From the child who took it. After she takes the test and depending on the results she can take certain courses through online classes. Any parents having their kids taking these courses????? Just curious on what she can look forward to. She is very excited about it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jayden0405 said:
My son received the same thing in 6th & 7th grade, he actually just took the SAT's this past weekend. I did in fact have to pay for him to take them, but I feel it's something that will give him a feel of how things are going to be once he gets in High School. They stated he was selected through teachers, MSA scores and GPA.

Everyone pays to sit for the PSAT and SAT tests...or at least they used to.

What we are discussing is different than those tests.

lala112

I attended CTY at Johns Hopkins this past summer and it was one of the most amazing expiriences of my life. I met people in three weeks who are better friends to me than my friends from home that have known me since 1st grade. The classes are amazing and challenging, I learned so much. If you ever have the chance to attend this program you should consider it. I'm a straight A student at home but I've never been the smartest or considered a "nerd" and at CTY I wasn't nearly as smart as some but the other attendies as well as teachers taught me more than I learn in a whole year at home. I will cherish that summer forever!!!

kalmd

My son got the letter in 4th and 5th grade. He scored in the 98-99 percentile for the math portion. We did have him take the test after the 5th grade letter. Nothing ever came from it. He didn't do as good on that test as the MSA's. We do get mail from JH/CTY occasionally with different programs they offer, but we've never acted upon it. He didn't do as well on his 6th grade MSA. His score was above the school/county/and state average, but not as good as the past 2 years.

Gwydion

I know a few college students that went off and assisted with the summer programs for the CTY. Apparently, they taught the students (5th graders iirc) generalizations about what they were currently learning in math.

It might cost money, but if your child is interested in science/math, put them in it! Who knows, they might find what they really want to do and strive harder for it!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I got that letter way, way, way, way back in the day. Took the SAT in 5th grade, I think it was. Nothing happened, but a friend of mine who did the same thing was offered a program that would have him skipping grades and getting into college (presumably Hopkins) 2-3 years early. His family decided it was too much, too soon and declined...he went to college at the normal time, got to partying and flunked out. :shrug:

Then I took the PSAT in 7th. I got placed in an accelerated math program in 8th grade, but that was a program through the school system, not the JHU thing, but it was the same group of kids.