Summer plans

Mary866

What are some good places to take kids to in the summer..within a days drive or few hours drive besides the usual theme parks?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Harper's Ferry (In spring it's fun to go river rafting)

MD or PA Renaissance Faires (Late Summer/early Autumn)

Shenandoah Valley (Camping)

How old are the children? That makes a bit of difference.

Mary866

Havent done Harpers Ferry yet...thats a good idea!! They love the Renaissance Festival, but unfortunately we missed it this year. They are ages 12 (girl), 10 (boy) and 7 (boy)

Christy

b*tch rocket
Yorktown was cool. We took the kids there and did a ghost walk. It's really close to Jamestown and Williamsburg, but it's just a little quaint town, and not all busy and touristy like Williamsburg.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
There are lots of good history sites around. Gettysburg and Williamsburg are within easy driving distance.

Also check out the Smithsonian museums up in DC and look for festivals on the Mall like the annual Folklife Festival. There's also lots to explore around The Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

Mary866 said:
What are some good places to take kids to in the summer..within a days drive or few hours drive besides the usual theme parks?
Camp. Drop them off and go have fun. :lmao:
Not really although my son had some good experiences, and bad. Harpers ferry is really crowded. Go to an outfitter in the Shenendoah or Rappahanock before that. Go hike part of the Appalachian trail. Go camping and inner tubing at Big Bend in WVA. Catch some crawdads and cook 'em along with hot dogs over a campfire. Crap, I wish mine were young again.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
My kids love sporting events. The Orioles have a lot of weekday afternoon games. Great time to go catch a ball game and do a little sight seeing in B'more as well.

Bowie Baysox have night games on the weekends too. Followed by fireworks. (I think :confused:)

purplepassion

Lovin' Life
Mary866 said:

Flag Ponds is a neat place to take kids.(Near the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant). It has a nature center and a nice beach. It only costs $4 a car. You can find sharks teeth and depending on the time of year it's a big spot for horseshoe crabs.
Cypress Swamp Nature Center is also an interesting place (in Prince Frederick). They also have a nature center and you can walk through the swamp. They also have programs for kids on weekends that are really fun. These are two places that my son loves to go visit.

Lurch

Club'nBabySeals said:
Harper's Ferry (In spring it's fun to go river rafting)

MD or PA Renaissance Faires (Late Summer/early Autumn)

Shenandoah Valley (Camping)

How old are the children? That makes a bit of difference.

The caverns are fun as well ! I love Harpers Ferry.

Go up to western Maryland for some camping as well !