Dead Hermit Crab

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Ok well apparently one of the Kiddos Hermit Crabs has passed. Now my question is can we keep the pretty painted shell that looks like a lady bug or is that in bad taste?

FastCarsSpeed said:
Ok well apparently one of the Kiddos Hermit Crabs has passed. Now my question is can we keep the pretty painted shell that looks like a lady bug or is that in bad taste?
Are you afraid of hurting the dead hermit crab's feelings?

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
kwillia said:
Are you afraid of hurting the dead hermit crab's feelings?

I dont know about these things. hell I would just throw it out the back door but this is the Daughters Hermit Crab and she is 11 and sensitive about these situations.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'd boil it. Seriously. I had the same thing happen. We replaced dead hermit with a new one. New one crawled into the old shell and died by morning.

Cowgirl

pixiegirl said:
I'd boil it. Seriously. I had the same thing happen. We replaced dead hermit with a new one. New one crawled into the old shell and died by morning.

If it's painted, boiling it might remove the paint. Maybe he/she could spray some chlorox inside it instead? :shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Cowgirl said:
If it's painted, boiling it might remove the paint. Maybe he/she could spray some chlorox inside it instead? :shrug:

Because I'm sure Chlorox is great for crabs. :lmao: Boiling it for 2 minutes should not remove paint.

purplepassion

Lovin' Life
I'd like to know how do you keep these guys alive. It seems my son has them for a couple of weeks and then they die. The first one was by himself so then we bought 2 and they ended up dying within a couple of weeks. My son would change there food every couple of days, spray the sponge so they would have water and clean they cage once every 2 weeks. What are we doing wrong? :frown:

mizteresa1965

Why would you want to get more? Ick........My daughter had some............note the word "had". :dead: I think they stink. :barf:

But, that's just my opinion. :whistle:

purplepassion

Lovin' Life
mizteresa1965 said:
Why would you want to get more? Ick........My daughter had some............note the word "had". :dead: I think they stink. :barf:

But, that's just my opinion. :whistle:

They only stink when you don't clean the rocks and cage. They were easy to take care of. Unlike having a fish (you need a tank & filter, etc.) and snakes (need a tank). We bought the whole set up in Ocean City and it didn't cost more than $20. Plus he took care of them, unlike the dog he has!

mizteresa1965

But while we are on the subject of "pets"...........My husband, daughter and I stopped at PetSmart in Waldorf to buy some fish. They had a deal $10 for $10. They rang up at all different kinds of prices, seems they had the stickers on the wrong tanks, so the manager gave me them for the sale price anyway. One of the fish was dead before I even paid for them!!!

Oh course, they replaced the dead one with a live one. But then within 24 hours, another one was dead.

Well, that was 10 days ago, and so far.......I still have 9 alive.

I've had problems with PetSmart years ago and stopped going to them. But they do have ALOT of dead fish in the tank.....Makes ya wonder.

I'm going to stick with KornerKritters in the future.

Cowgirl

pixiegirl said:
Because I'm sure Chlorox is great for crabs. :lmao: Boiling it for 2 minutes should not remove paint.

Bleach is fine once it dries. Don't you use it on stuff that your kids or pets touch? I'm just saying to use bleach instead of boiling because I don't know what kind of paint is on the shell. If it has some kind of sealant or shellac, it'll probably be fine....but she wants to keep the shell because of the paint. Better to be safe than sorry. :shrug:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
We purchased these Hermit Crabs last summer in OC. 3 of them one for each child. My sons changed shells on the ride home that weekend. He is a very active and aggressive little sucker. Little DQ's changed shells and is very quiet but seems to be doing ok in its humongous shell it has chosen. Older DQ's was pretty active and had stayed in the same shell. We feed them every once in a while and water them daily. They are in a huge cage considering their size but they like it.

BuddyLee

Football addict
pixiegirl said:
:yeahthat: Had it happen a few times.