Driving without rear drive shaft

It's gonna take a week to get the parts I need, yoke, shaft etc. for the rear of a TJ. Will it hurt anything to drive around in 4wheel using the front drive shaft only? Limited driving only. Thanks.

Pete

Repete
desertrat said:
It's gonna take a week to get the parts I need, yoke, shaft etc. for the rear of a TJ. Will it hurt anything to drive around in 4wheel using the front drive shaft only? Limited driving only. Thanks.
I had a 76 CJ and did that and it didn't hurt it.

Agee

Did the TJ's do away with the locking hubs used on the CJ's? Does your TJ have a "allTime 4X4" setting? Most 4X4 systems on the jeeps are designed to encounter some sort of slippage offered by the surface your driving on. Plus, you'll have no load on the rear drive of the transfer case.

Definately keep it limited and limited speeds. You might want to pose the question on this site...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Good Luck!

Ponytail

You could do it providing you haven't installed any type of locking device (track loc, etc). it will still ratchet on you particularly when you are on the gas and when going around corners, so don't go anywhere fast. It'll pull you into the ditch pretty quick if it changes which side the power is directed to.

What parts are you waiting on?

Contact Jeff at Adrenaline Offroad (www.adrenalineoffroad.com) in Laurel to see if he's got something laying around that you could use.

i've got a driveshaft, but It'll probably be too short for your TJ. Do you need the Transfer case output shaft and yoke, or the differential Yoke and Pinion?

Last edited:
Airgasm said:
Did the TJ's do away with the locking hubs used on the CJ's? Does your TJ have a "allTime 4X4" setting? Most 4X4 systems on the jeeps are designed to encounter some sort of slippage offered by the surface your driving on. Plus, you'll have no load on the rear drive of the transfer case.

Definately keep it limited and limited speeds. You might want to pose the question on this site...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Good Luck!
No locking hubs and it's a manual type xfr case. No full time 4x4. I doubt if it'll go much more further than to pick up parts.

Ponytail said:
You could do it providing you haven't installed any type of locking device (track loc, etc). it will still ratchet on you particularly when you are on the gas and when going around corners, so don't go anywhere fast. It'll pull you into the ditch pretty quick if it changes which side the power is directed to.

What parts are you waiting on?

Contact Jeff at Adrenaline Offroad (www.adrenalineoffroad.com) in Laurel to see if he's got something laying around that you could use.

i've got a driveshaft, but It'll probably be too short for your TJ. Do you need the Transfer case output shaft and yoke, or the differential Yoke and Pinion?
Differential end, seal, two u joints and rear shaft. My son, whose jeep it is is working his contacts as I type. I'll mention Jeff to him. Thanks.
The shaft is 13" from the end to end.

Ponytail

Sounds like he may have spun the wheels on some acorns and ripped the driveshaft out of it when the wheels caught traction again. :shrug:

Ponytail said:
Sounds like he may have spun the wheels on some acorns and ripped the driveshaft out of it when the wheels caught traction again. :shrug:
Rear u joint got worn and he didn't notice it. Once it got enough slack in there it broke loose. Did an unfortunate amount of damage when it came off.

R

RadioPatrol

desertrat said:
Rear u joint got worn and he didn't notice it. Once it got enough slack in there it broke loose. Did an unfortunate amount of damage when it came off.

:faint:

Ouch ........... :popcorn:

more fun to Grenade that sucker on a trail 20 miles in the back woods off road

lol :razz: