cracked ribs

terbear1225

i think i might have cracked a couple ribs from coughing (i have bronchitis) but I don't want to waste time and money at the doctor if they can't really do anything about it. has anyone had this happen, would you bother with x-rays?

smoothmarine187

Cracked ribs from coughing? good lord.........they really won't do anything except maybe give you some pain medication and wrap a bandage around you tightly so it won't hurt as bad when you cough.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
smoothmarine187 said:
Cracked ribs from coughing?

I just heard my friend did the exact same thing. I need to call her tonight and see what she did about it, if anything.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
elaine said:
I just heard my friend did the exact same thing. I need to call her tonight and see what she did about it, if anything.

Attorney I work with did that about a month or so ago. Dr. gave him pain meds for sleeping and told him to rest and no lifting or exercising, etc.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
smoothmarine187 said:
Cracked ribs from coughing? good lord.........they really won't do anything except maybe give you some pain medication and wrap a bandage around you tightly so it won't hurt as bad when you cough.
No wrapping anymore. Prevents full expansion of lungs and can lead to penumonia
Going to the doctor will allow you to pay him and that's about all.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
cattitude said:
Attorney I work with did that about a month or so ago. Dr. gave him pain meds for sleeping and told him to rest and no lifting or exercising, etc.

This is the same friend I posted about years ago who broke 8 ribs while we were out playing on the boat. Poor thing.

terbear1225 said:
i think i might have cracked a couple ribs from coughing (i have bronchitis) but I don't want to waste time and money at the doctor if they can't really do anything about it. has anyone had this happen, would you bother with x-rays?
No, but it's more likely a strained or pulled muscle anyway. Best therapy is a trip to a comedy club. :killingme
Actually just take it easy on them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
terbear1225 said:
thanks for all the info. guess I won't bother to go.
Obviously you'd go to the doctor if it gets worse or you don't start seeing a reduction in pain. Desertrat's right - it's more likely a strained muscle, but keep an eye on it anyway because you never know.

D

dems4me

cattitude said:

I used to get get bronchitis frequently and on occassion woudl have the same problem... dr. did the same for me as he did with your attorney. He ended up putting me on a narcotic (which also helps relieve the cough) and it helps reduce pain from ribs. It was some sort of liquid form... I can't remember what it was called but I think it started with a V.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
terbear1225 said:

I went through the same thing in Oct/Nov when I was so sick. x-rays confirmed them but they don't wrap them anymore. Doc suggested I just put pressure on my side when I had to cough (I was doing that already) and it would lessen the pain.

DQ2B

Husband fell through an upper floor last year and cracked a few. Doctor gave him some pain meds and told him to try to take a few deep breaths several time per day, that's it.

L

lugebob

Before writing the doctor out completely, do a little self check of the shape of your rib cage.... (anything sticking out or in) I am now healing from surgery to my ribs and cartilage due to them healing out of place from an accident almost 9 years ago.. where the doc's told me... "we do nothing for ribs... take these meds."

I was trying to make a high G turn on my streetluge and turned so hard that my bottom ribs cracked against the top of my pelvic bone. Now, Im assuming they seperated from the cartilage in front. After about 8 weeks when the swelling went down I noticed this thing sticking out of the side of my chest sticking forward. My wife used to laugh that I had 2 kickstands keeping me from rolling over on her in the morning... ;-) The bad part was that it hurt to do anymore than about 10 situps and hurt worse the more I got in shape.

After 8 years of doctors telling me..."nothing could be done" I finally was able to convince a Thoracic Surgeon to cut the bump out. It sucks that he would not listen to me about where the bump came from... he was convinced it was a tumor... either way.. it is now out and I have a zipper looking scar to show for it.

If your ribs are obviously displaced... insist on getting them set right. Other wise some pain meds and alternating cold and hot packs to speed the recovery.

I feel your pain..

bob

J

jaybeeztoo

OUCH!! I feel the pain, literally. I did a google search and came up with this thread.

Man if I could just take in one deep breath, I would be in HEAVEN!!!