I could use some input ....

Nanny Pam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does this sound OK? I am not good at this type of thing. I would appreciate any & all help ya'll can lend me in this letter writting thing. See....I am not good with words. :ohwell:

This is a letter that I am putting together to send to the Grandparents of a child in my care.
These are people I also socialize with (on occasion,) so yes, I know them well.

Dear **** & ****
:blahblah: :blahblah:
I understand, according to your daughter that you really like doing the "Grandparent thing" however, can you do it on weekends only. I do not appreciate it you getting her all sugared up then sending her to me to deal with for the day.
Therefore, please do not send her to me with lollipops, gum, candy, cookies, cupcakes etc. in her hands. I cook breakfast for all children as long as they are here before 8:30. I'd be more than happy to include ****.
If she has breakfast at home before coming to daycare, how about oatmeal, or a bowl of LOW sugar cereal, or fruit & toast.

What you are doing is not fair to:
1)****... for nutritional reasons. She has developed serious disclipline issues, ending in "time out" because she can't control herself. (sugar)
2) The other kids... because they want the junk food too. They are normal kids who would rather have licorice than a cheese omlet.
3) Me. The sugar high lasts too long. I spend too much time trying to calm her down & less time doing things with everyone else.

Also, I know ****'s Doctor asked you last year to take her off the bottle & pacifier. Her teeth are now showing definate signs of needing braces when she gets older. When ever she gets the chance, she steals the baby's (8 months old) bottle from her, (formula) as well as her pacifier.

We have been friends for awhile and I really want to keep it this way.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nanny Pam said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does this sound OK? I am not good at this type of thing. I would appreciate any & all help ya'll can lend me in this letter writting thing. See....I am not good with words. :ohwell:

This is a letter that I am putting together to send to the Grandparents of a child in my care.
These are people I also socialize with (on occasion,) so yes, I know them well.

Dear **** & ****
:blahblah: :blahblah:
I understand, according to your daughter that you really like doing the "Grandparent thing" however, can you do it on weekends only. I do not appreciate it you getting her all sugared up then sending her to me to deal with for the day.
Therefore, please do not send her to me with lollipops, gum, candy, cookies, cupcakes etc. in her hands. I cook breakfast for all children as long as they are here before 8:30. I'd be more than happy to include ****.
If she has breakfast at home before coming to daycare, how about oatmeal, or a bowl of LOW sugar cereal, or fruit & toast.

What you are doing is not fair to:
1)****... for nutritional reasons. She has developed serious disclipline issues, ending in "time out" because she can't control herself. (sugar)
2) The other kids... because they want the junk food too. They are normal kids who would rather have licorice than a cheese omlet.
3) Me. The sugar high lasts too long. I spend too much time trying to calm her down & less time doing things with everyone else.

Also, I know ****'s Doctor asked you last year to take her off the bottle & pacifier. Her teeth are now showing definate signs of needing braces when she gets older. When ever she gets the chance, she steals the baby's (8 months old) bottle from her, (formula) as well as her pacifier.

We have been friends for awhile and I really want to keep it this way.

Too abrassive. Especially if you're friends. While I agree that you're correct in confronting the issue and have every right to if said child is a behavior problem. I think that the letter worded the way it is will cause hard feelings as it's very accusatory (is that a real word?). I commend you for taking action though. So many people biatch about things and never take any steps to correct them. Good on you just tone it down a bit. I can see someone reading this and becoming defensive.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think you'd be out of bounds telling (asking) them what to do with their kids/grandkids when they have them regardless of what is best for them. As far as bringing candy, etc. into your home, I'd just put it in a baggie when the child gets there and send it home with them.

Curious...do your parents sign a contract?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
K_Jo said:
I think they're going to get pissed if you send that. :ohwell:
:yeahthat: I think it would be better received if you spoke to them about it in person. That way you can control your tone and convey the "still want to be friends" vibe.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
K_Jo said:
I think they're going to get pissed if you send that. :ohwell:
:yeahthat: Make it a "sharing" concern. Tell the grandparents that children are not allowed to bring outside items (toys, food, etc.) because it is not fair to other children. However, if they would like to provide a NUTRITIOUS snack for all daycare children, that would be great and you'd welcome their generosity!

Nanny Pam

cattitude said:
I think you'd be out of bounds telling (asking) them what to do with their kids/grandkids when they have them regardless of what is best for them. As far as bringing candy, etc. into your home, I'd just put it in a baggie when the child gets there and send it home with them.

Curious...do your parents sign a contract?
Yes, they do.

twobit

I say go for it (but spell definite correctly...sorry, a pet peeve of mine). If they don't like it, tough shiat. If they (or the parents) get offended and pull the kid out of your care, I'm sure there are plenty of other people who are looking for daycare and would take their spot.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nanny Pam said:
Yes, they do.

I'd imagine you are licensed? Do you do the State thing where you have to abide by a certain diet/what you feed the kids? Not sure Delaware has that. What I'm getting at is that you can deter the candy/sweets thing that way by saying you are required to feed certain foods. As far as the pacifier thingy, while you are invested in these kids and most certainly love them, you are only the caregiver. BUT..while you have them in your care you can do your best to break them of bad habits.

I'd keep it low key, nonconfrontational. My daughter does daycare..she runs a pretty tight ship and lays out her rules right from the get go.

kldavis21

I think you should speak to them about it. Writing letters almost always come off to "mean". You can't express yourself in the "right" way writing a letter. When speaking to someone in person, they can see your body language, and see your concern, rather then "reading" what they will probably take offense to.

Nanny Pam

cattitude said:
I'd imagine you are licensed? Do you do the State thing where you have to abide by a certain diet/what you feed the kids? Not sure Delaware has that. What I'm getting at is that you can deter the candy/sweets thing that way by saying you are required to feed certain foods. As far as the pacifier thingy, while you are invested in these kids and most certainly love them, you are only the caregiver. BUT..while you have them in your care you can do your best to break them of bad habits.

I'd keep it low key, nonconfrontational. My daughter does daycare..she runs a pretty tight ship and lays out her rules right from the get go.

So do I. I give them a handbook with all the rules, and ask them to read it and sign the last page for my files so when they come in here and say :blahblah: I can refer to the handbook and remind them of the certain rules.

As far as the food / nutritional thing goes, I have printed out pages from a nutrition calss I took. I gave it to all the parents.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Nanny Pam said:
What would you suggest I do? I really am at a loss.

ok matching AV is confuseing the shiat outa me.

Back to the letter.

It would be better if you gave all the parents a memo that stated sugurary snank should not be brought to care. Except special occassions... State fairness to others... concern for nutrunitional values etc.

That letter looks like RED KARMA you would send to take a pot shot at the grandparents.

JMHO

Nanny Pam

I think all of you are right about forgetting about writting a letter. It does sound mean. I was asking you guys to help me with the wording, because I am too strict. I was raised by a USAF father, who had rules, that we didn't dare break, or question.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Nanny Pam said:
I think all of you are right about forgetting about writting a letter. It does sound mean. I was asking you guys to help me with the wording, because I am too strict. I was raised by a USAF father, who had rules, that we didn't dare break, or question.

I could draft you a MEMO LATER GOTTA GO DO SOME WORK

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You have a contract with the mother and/or father, right? That's who you need to be discussing this with, and let them approach the grandmother. Explain to her that your wits end and if you can't come to some kind of agreement/understanding, you'll have to use the contract and terminate your care for her daughter.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Well, NP, I think that as a childcare professional, you have the right to determine what you serve the children while they are in your care. Since the parents sign a contract and are aware of your nutritional "practices," I would REMIND them that "junk food" is not something that is a common practice in your daycare. You could lessen the blow by taking Chasey's suggestion of bringing good snacks for everyone or even say that you would welcome small candy treats or cupcakes for a special occasion, birthday..Valentine's Day..that type of thing.