Carver (Am I expecting too much)

crazywkidz3

So I moved a year ago down the road from GreenView Knolls, b/c my oldest would be starting Kindergarden, and I heard it was one of the better schools in the area. Hahaha my kids go to Carver, I will do my homework next time I'm learning know about st. marys co. and there way of deciding who goes to what school. I was also trying to enroll my 4 year old in pre-k. But we didn't qualify b/c we made too much money and we offered a good home enviroment for my children and he didn't have any developmental problems. Okay great. He finally got accepted when they opened a new class in Oct. Well I'm not sure if maybe I'm expecting to much form the school, like the idea that I would send my children to school, and they would learn. At my oldest sons first evaluation I was told that he was behind the rest of his class and maybe I wasn't doing my job at home to teach him. So I took extra time w/ him and in 2 weeks he was not only caught up to the rest of his class he was excelling. I totally believe that it is my job as a parent to help my child and to assist him w/ school work, but if I never though that I would be their only educator, why am I sending them. So my pre-k son just recieved a letter home that he was accepted into the summer 11 month what ever program for students who would benefit from extra time at school. First they tell me he has no developmental problems, I had his speech tested b/c I believe he has a speech problem, they tell me no he has no problem, then I get his report card and his teacher feels that his speech may be part of his learning difficulties and know we should send him for an extra month of school b/c he's behind. This is hard for me to say but I'm starting to get the impression that my children are being left behind. They are 2 little white kids a minority in their class they are for the most part very well behaved, and because of that I feel they are being ignored, set asided. It hurts as a parent to feel this way. I may very well be wrong, and maybe it is all me and I need to do more at home w/ my children. But both myself and husband work full-time jobs and we have other children. Should I quit my job live in poverty so maybe my children won't be over shadowed, or maybe I should homeschool them. Am I expecting to much? Am I wrong to feel how I feel? Sorry this is so long I've been dwelling on this for so long. Maybe I should just move again?

Geek

crazywkidz3 said:
So I moved a year ago down the road from GreenView Knolls, b/c my oldest would be starting Kindergarden, and I heard it was one of the better schools in the area. Hahaha my kids go to Carver, I will do my homework next time I'm learning know about st. marys co. and there way of deciding who goes to what school. I was also trying to enroll my 4 year old in pre-k. But we didn't qualify b/c we made too much money and we offered a good home enviroment for my children and he didn't have any developmental problems. Okay great. He finally got accepted when they opened a new class in Oct. Well I'm not sure if maybe I'm expecting to much form the school, like the idea that I would send my children to school, and they would learn. At my oldest sons first evaluation I was told that he was behind the rest of his class and maybe I wasn't doing my job at home to teach him. So I took extra time w/ him and in 2 weeks he was not only caught up to the rest of his class he was excelling. I totally believe that it is my job as a parent to help my child and to assist him w/ school work, but if I never though that I would be their only educator, why am I sending them. So my pre-k son just recieved a letter home that he was accepted into the summer 11 month what ever program for students who would benefit from extra time at school. First they tell me he has no developmental problems, I had his speech tested b/c I believe he has a speech problem, they tell me no he has no problem, then I get his report card and his teacher feels that his speech may be part of his learning difficulties and know we should send him for an extra month of school b/c he's behind. This is hard for me to say but I'm starting to get the impression that my children are being left behind. They are 2 little white kids a minority in their class they are for the most part very well behaved, and because of that I feel they are being ignored, set asided. It hurts as a parent to feel this way. I may very well be wrong, and maybe it is all me and I need to do more at home w/ my children. But both myself and husband work full-time jobs and we have other children. Should I quit my job live in poverty so maybe my children won't be over shadowed, or maybe I should homeschool them. Am I expecting to much? Am I wrong to feel how I feel? Sorry this is so long I've been dwelling on this for so long. Maybe I should just move again?

Is is possible for you to take a few hours of from work a week and volunteer in their classrooms? It is the best way to asses what is going on in school. You get to know the teacher, staff and other children's levels. Most St. Mary's county teachers are amazing.

Goobergrl6

my friend's kids go to Carver and she says she likes it but I have not heard the greatest things about that school. She loves their teachers but that only does so much. I personally do not trust the schools here and will be homeschooling my children. Like you said your son was behind and within 2 weeks or you giving him a little bit more help he was passing the other kids. That just shows me that the school is not doing their job.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
My kids go there and I'm very happy with the school. It was a step up from Park Hall and leaps and bounds ahead of Lexington Park IMO.

I had similar concerns with my 5 year old and my meeting with his teacher last week, cleared everything up and let me get a clear picture of where he is at and what he needs to be doing at home. We went over the assement they give the kids at the beginnning of the year and again after Christmas. I was surprised at how well my son was doing but his teacher thinks that with a bit of work on his sounds he could do even better.

Call and make an appointment with the principal, counselor and teacher at the same time if you feel you need to.
Don't put pressure on yourself or force blame on the staff, it would be premature. Kids come to Pre-K having widely varied levels of experience with learning, and some kids learn differntly that others. Pre-k isn't about getting the grade. it's about preparing the child to learn.

Cowgirl

My sister taught 4th grade at Carver for 2 years. She got very frustrated by the lack of interest from the parents. Some of those kids need a lot of help....and most of it should come from home. She would send notes home and never get a response from the parents. The only time they cared was when their child was not allowed to participate in fun things because he/she didn't complete assignments.

I'm sure your child's teacher would LOVE to meet with you and listen to your concerns. Most teachers like to see support at home, and I'm sure the teacher would be willing to do everything possible to help.

crazywkidz3

I do communicate w/ my childrens teachers, I do work with them at home. I understand that other children do not have a good support system at home, I was one of those children. But should my children suffer b/c other kids and their parents lack of intrest. I know it takes more then a school to educate my children and I need to continue to reinforce what they learn in school. I guess I do just expect to much. I talk to many parent that children go to other schools in st. marys co, as well as in other states and they love the schools their children go to. Maybe I just have false impressions I've heard nothing but negative things about Carver that I'm just seeing the bad and I need to look for the good.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Goobergrl6 said:
my friend's kids go to Carver and she says she likes it but I have not heard the greatest things about that school. She loves their teachers but that only does so much. I personally do not trust the schools here and will be homeschooling my children. Like you said your son was behind and within 2 weeks or you giving him a little bit more help he was passing the other kids. That just shows me that the school is not doing their job.
Bullchiat!!

Kids are expected to know certain things before they start K or pre-K. Having them unprepared is a parent responsibility, don't put a parent's lack of knowledge of what is expected of their children on the back of the teachers.

Lastly, what makes you think you are more qualified than a certified teacher?

wineo

loving life
Call Pupil Services and ask for a meeting. 301-475-5511 ext.2 Kathleen Lyon, Director of Student Services for St. Mary's County.

blitz10

crazywkidz3 said:
I do communicate w/ my childrens teachers, I do work with them at home. I understand that other children do not have a good support system at home, I was one of those children. But should my children suffer b/c other kids and their parents lack of intrest. I know it takes more then a school to educate my children and I need to continue to reinforce what they learn in school. I guess I do just expect to much. I talk to many parent that children go to other schools in st. marys co, as well as in other states and they love the schools their children go to. Maybe I just have false impressions I've heard nothing but negative things about Carver that I'm just seeing the bad and I need to look for the good.

:patriot: why do parents set there standards so low...your expectations should be high...puplic education needs to be held to high expectations and our goverment needs to start acknowledging that one of the most important jobs besides raising our children is educating them..... :patriot:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
blitz10 said:
:patriot: why do parents set there standards so low...your expectations should be high...puplic education needs to be held to high expectations and our goverment needs to start acknowledging that one of the most important jobs besides raising our children is educating them..... :patriot:
Why should you want the government to get involved? It's PUBLIC education, which means the PUBLIC should determine statndards in their own public schools. You don't like how the schools are doing, get involved, attend board meetings, join the PTA etc.. etc.. The people you don't agree with ARE involved, and are setting the course for your children's education.

blitz10

itsbob said:
Why should you want the government to get involved? It's PUBLIC education, which means the PUBLIC should determine statndards in their own public schools. You don't like how the schools are doing, get involved, attend board meetings, join the PTA etc.. etc.. The people you don't agree with ARE involved, and are setting the course for your children's education.

i dont want the goverment to run the schools :smack: they need to supply them with the proper funding........our children and teachers deserve better and parents should expect that :patriot:

K

Kain99

Wow! As a precursor to this comment.. I will say, that I homeschooled my kids until they reached high school. My daughter graduated with straight A's, my son Ryan will graduate with a 3.8. My baby, will be lucky to graduate.

I think it's complete crap, to expect more than minimal support from parents. Christ I go to work everyday and DO MY JOB!

HELLO teachers... No one licks my butt to make it easy. Suck it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

blitz10

Kain99 said:
Wow! As a precursor to this comment.. I will say, that I homeschooled my kids until they reached high school. My daughter graduated with straight A's, my son Ryan will graduate with a 3.8. My baby, will be lucky to graduate.

I think it's complete crap, to expect more than minimal support from parents. Christ I go to work everyday and DO MY JOB!

HELLO teachers... No one licks my butt to make it easy. Suck it up.[/QUO]

sounds like a licking my do you some good :boxing:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Kain99 said:

HELLO teachers... No one licks my butt to make it easy. Suck it up.
SO your saying parents should be expected to do NOTHING, as far as the education of their children?
I don't buy that. If you're not involved the jobless crack ho parent might be, and do you want him/her to determine what is going to be taught to your children??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
blitz10 said:
i dont want the goverment to run the schools :smack: they need to supply them with the proper funding........our children and teachers deserve better and parents should expect that :patriot:
Proper funding??? You're kidding right??

Do you have any idea how much we pay PER STUDENT to send them to a public school? It's probably around the order of 2 or 3 times what it would cost you to send a child to private school, the funding is there.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
itsbob said:
Do you have any idea how much we pay PER STUDENT to send them to a public school? It's probably around the order of 2 or 3 times what it would cost you to send a child to private school, the funding is there.
I thought the average was about $30K per student, no?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chasey_Lane said:
I thought the average was about $30K per student, no?
Probably so, I was lowballing..

So as a taxpayer, when you send your kid to private school, you aren't only paying tuition to the school, but the taxes you pay are still paying to send your kid to public school.

..and before anyone suggests it, no I don't think people that send their kids to private schools should get vouchers. I think they should get more involved in the public shools, and send their kids there. Just think how good our schools would be if EVERY parent that sent their kids private, sent them back to public and DEMANDED the teachers perform.

Of course many of the parents, we're probably better off with them staying at home. We may not want our kids being taught what they think is factual history, or good science.

Geek

This_person said:
I agree that the parents should expect the teachers to do their jobs and actually teach. A few do, more or less. Many don't. Whether we should have to get involved or not, though, we do have to get involved. After all, it's our children's future on the line. The teachers have demonstrated to me, here and other places, that they only do as much as they're paid to do - most don't even do that, but know that between the union backing and the piss-poor management of the schools they'll never lose their jobs anyway. I stay involved on the kid's level. I help with the homework - teaching, not doing. I teach whenever we're at the store, or a museum, or anywhere else. Look at the average person's spelling and grammar in these posts, and you'll see why you need to do it youself and not rely on someone who works less than 40 hours per week, less than 12 months a year, and yet makes a living like they are full time.

You totally suck. Obviously you have not spent one minute of time in a school to observe what actually happens.

blitz10

This_person said:
I agree that the parents should expect the teachers to do their jobs and actually teach. A few do, more or less. Many don't. Whether we should have to get involved or not, though, we do have to get involved. After all, it's our children's future on the line. The teachers have demonstrated to me, here and other places, that they only do as much as they're paid to do - most don't even do that, but know that between the union backing and the piss-poor management of the schools they'll never lose their jobs anyway. I stay involved on the kid's level. I help with the homework - teaching, not doing. I teach whenever we're at the store, or a museum, or anywhere else. Look at the average person's spelling and grammar in these posts, and you'll see why you need to do it youself and not rely on someone who works less than 40 hours per week, less than 12 months a year, and yet makes a living like they are full time.

ARE YOU JOKING......teachers not only have to teach children book smart but because of bad parenting they have to teach common sense, proper socail skills, good manners, ect.... the parents that think their child can do no wrong, there not helping there children.......go sit in a class room, its hard to teach when your dealing with kids with bad manners learned from bad parenting.....not just anyone should be aloud to have kids...teachers arent all perfect theirs bad apples in every proffession but i would put money on most of kids problems today come from LACK of parents being parents...... :nono:

blitz10

This_person said:
No, I'm not joking. Actually, you're making my point for me. Read again what I said. Parents need to be involved. You're arguing with me, but saying what I said. Parents need to be involved. It's not a teacher's job to teach social skills, manners, etc. It is every the job of every adult to help enforce those rules of life. Unfortunately, the types of people you're describing get angry when you try and help them with their own children. When you ask me to go sit in a classroom, I have. I agree with your assessment. There are spoiled, unruly children that teachers have to deal with. That's just part of their job, though. Sorry, get over it. If it's too hard for those teachers to teach, they should seek employment they can handle. But, you're right, parents need to be parents. That includes helping their kids learn. Especially when their teachers spend their time complaining instead of teaching.

most teachers love what they do ....ask them its not for the money