Cancer

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I have a relative that recently discovered she had cancer. She said she thinks this part of the country is a cancer zone because she knows so many that have one form of cancer or another.
Are we living in a cancer prone area? Or is it that as we grow older we are more aware of cancer?

I have a friend whose child had brain cancer.
We're helping take care of a school family whose mom just found out she has terminal cancer. (2nd school mom in 2 years)
I had skin cancer and know many others that have battled it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
I have a relative that recently discovered she had cancer. She said she thinks this part of the country is a cancer zone because she knows so many that have one form of cancer or another.
Are we living in a cancer prone area? Or is it that as we grow older we are more aware of cancer?

I have a friend whose child had brain cancer.
We're helping take care of a school family whose mom just found out she has terminal cancer. (2nd school mom in 2 years)
I had skin cancer and know many others that have battled it.
What around here would you center the cause on??

There are no chemical plants.. no big industrial areas dumping tons of chemical in the ground and in the air, so what could be the cause?

I guess it could be something naturally occuring like RADON..

But the skin cancer I would say being in the South, we are outside more then say people from New England. Our summers are longer, and we spend a LOT of time out in it.

nomoney

itsbob said:

There are no chemical plants.. no big industrial areas dumping tons of chemical in the ground and in the air, so what could be the cause?

well you have the nuclear plant and in that other thread I linked Ponytail had a great post

Maryland is one big water shed. The Bay and it's surrounding area is the end for most of the streams and rivers in the NE. The NE is loaded with OLD coal mines, power generation plants, oil refineries and farms. ALL of these and more, produce carcinogens which are concentrated here thanks to the runoff, which end up here. Marshy areas are usually very high in carcinogen levels. To say that the environment here does not play a factor in the cancer rate, I think, is incorrect. The levels may not be cause for immediate concern, but you have to concider the long term exposure.

I mean looking at it that way and then the amount of people that used to make their livings here dealing directly with the bay, etc...its def something to consider.

Midnightrider

nomoney said:
well you have the nuclear plant and in that other thread I linked Ponytail had a great post

I mean looking at it that way and then the amount of people that used to make their livings here dealing directly with the bay, etc...its def something to consider.
obviosly don't know much about nuclear power......

I'd be much more concerned with what is in the milk you buy at the store

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nomoney said:

Nuclear is the cleanest power, and industry in the country..

Coal plants release more radioactivity then Nuke plants.. and TONS of other pollutants.

itsbob said:

I guess it could be something naturally occuring like RADON..

But the skin cancer I would say being in the South, we are outside more then say people from New England. Our summers are longer, and we spend a LOT of time out in it.
Farming chemicals in well water and produce, increased consumption of local seafoods from our polluted waters come to immediate mind.

itsbob said:
Nuclear is the cleanest power, and industry in the country..

Coal plants release more radioactivity then Nuke plants.. and TONS of other pollutants.
Maryland has a coal burning plant.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Then look at Utah.. hmm, maybe those Mormons are on to something.. MAYBE, just MAYBE there IS a connection between smoking and lung cancer..

CMC122

Go Braves!
kwillia said:
Isn't the plant over by the 301 bridge coal burning? The fish kill that happened last week was being linked to the plant in the last article I read about it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
kwillia said:
Probably dozens..

But while people worry about the radiation dangers from Nuclear Power, coal power dumps far more radiation into the atmosphere..

CMC122 said:
Isn't the plant over by the 301 bridge coal burning? The fish kill that happened last week was being linked to the plant in the last article I read about it.
Yes... and the waste from that plant is kept in Maryland as well.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
kwillia said:
Farming chemicals in well water and produce, increased consumption of local seafoods from our polluted waters come to immediate mind.
I'd buy that reasoning..