home builders

I am about to relocate to the Naval Station out there and am looking into any input that might be available as to the quality of the developers, there are always a few that cut every corner and just can't seem to do quality work and after moving from California to Ohio and finding my new house with no power run to the electric range or to the jacuzzi tub amongst other shortcomings, I am just hoping to weed the loony builders before I even get there this time, have found that real estate agents don't always dig up that info for you, heck there job is to just sell you the house after that, you are on your own. granted I amonly looking at a house that goes for around 150-170k, but I still want my moneys worth

DarbyOhara

Musician
Hi David... and welcome to the area (well, when you get here)...  :)

I don't know too much about builders in the area, but I believe your choices are rather limited.  Finding a plot to put that puppy is gonna be a quest.  Prices in the SOMD area and especially around the base have skyrocketed within the last 5 or so years and you are gonna be "price-shocked".  I haven't heard anything bad about any builders in the area, except the prices.  With 150-170K... you aren't gonna get much of a house either.  And I hope that isn't including the 50K + for a decent lot (perked, etc) unless you want a development community (might as well go with a townhouse then).  Main point here is... you HAVE to think about re-sale and equity....

I think you need to come here and visit the areas before deciding anything.  I live about 25 miles south of the base and love the area... but if country living isn't your cup of tea... you may wanna look north.  I work on the base and by far, many of my co-workers commute from WAY north (since it's cheaper up there), but they spend a good hour or so commuting.  And also, since you don't have 250K to throw around, I'd stay away from the realtors... they won't do you justice....  just my 2 cents about them...  However, if there is anything we can do specifically to make your move easier (and within reason... i.e. information or contact #'s)... just give a hollar......

David - Stay away from Lee Homes.  You probably won't see them near the base, but they build a lot of homes in Waldorf.  They build a lot of nice looking houses.  I had them build one for me, only it was a smaller one using plans I ordered.  I have a laundry list of complaints, including no shutoff valves for the outside faucets, interior doors that are crooked, and floors that squeak and creak like crazy.  

I realize that this is just one house of many they have done, but I have a friend who bought one of their bigger homes, and he has almost as many complaints.

I'm curious to know if anyone else on this board has had a Lee Homes house, or knows someone who does, and what they think of the quality of their work.

mgorfain

david...

I have to agree with an earlier poster, if you want to find a lot in either ST Marys or Calvert (calvert MUCH tougher to find lots) it is not easy.  I have several buyers who I have been working with lately, and if it is a lot that is buildable in either county, I have probably walked it.  Lots in Calvert county are snatched up by builders soo fast, your head would spin.  In St. Marys the selection is a little better...but really in my opinion there are only about 5-10 lots where you can choose your own builder that I would consider "worthy".  Usually as I said, you can find a lot, but the "catch" is you have to use their builder.  (Can you tell I don't work for any builder?)  I had this same problem 12 years ago when I moved here.  I wanted to pick my lot & NOT have which builder I HAD to use dictated to me.  In the price range you mentioned, honestly you may well be better off buying resale.  

I agree Ripple brothers are great, but they aren't cheap and I doubt you can get a decent home built by them with a lot for under $160,000.  Bob Davis is WAAAY more expensive (his homes start at over $250,000).  I also think you did the right thing posting here asking for help.  Most agents will not say "they are good" or "they are bad"  because it is our opinion (and you know what opinions are like....right??  everyone has one & they all stink).  You DO have to be careful in choosing a builder, I have built in this area several times...and only the last time I was actually  pleased with the process & the materials used.

If you need help,  let me know.....

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Having just gone through the process of building a custom-built house and still not QUITE through the entire process, a few observations:

Plan on it taking twice as long as you think.  We bought a piece of property, privately-owned, and it took over 5 MONTHS to get the permits in St. Mary's.  Also, from the time I first contacted the land-owner about the property, to buying the property, finding a builder, getting permits, and actual construction, it has been TWO years.  It may be less if you're building in a subdivision, but it ALWAYS takes longer than you think and they tell you.

Ask everyone you know about builders - recommendations of who's good and not good - select three or more that are promising, and sit down with them individually for a couple of hours to go over what you're looking for.  Get estimates from each one and make sure you go over in detail what they're proposing.  We talked to 5 builders and interviewed three in detail.  We didn't select the one with the cheapest price - we had several recommendations from friends on this builder and actually went to some of his building sites to see the type of work they do.  He was the most willing to work with us and responsive to our calls.  He has been that way the entire process and we have had very little problems with him.

Be involved every step of the way and make sure you have good communication with your builder.  Go to the job site and do your own inspections.  Be a pain in the a$$
- speak up - it's YOUR home and YOUR money.  Talk to your builder frequently, if just to get an update - they don't always remember to tell you something.  If something is unacceptable, make them do it over until they get it right.  We found our builder had framed the house in 2 X 4 when we specified 2 X 6 construction - they did it over.

Don't be afraid to bring ideas to your builder.  Along the way, you find some things work and others don't - talk it over and see if it can be done your way.  We added a powder room and modified some of the basic floor plan because it worked better for us.  

Know your rights when building a house.  On the link Barbra posted,
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Homebuilder/index.htm, is a booklet entitled "Buying a New Home:  Consumer Rights and Remedies Under Maryland Law" - very good information.  Read and re-read it several times - your builder is also required to give you a copy of it at the time you sign the contract.

These are the major points I can think of now, but I'm sure others can add to it.  Hope it helps.

matilda

Following up to the previous post.   I too, was wondering about Colony Builders.  Building at Porto Bello Estates. Anyone have information on a gentleman named Donald Coop? I was told he was elected to the Chamber of Commerce recently.
Does he own Colony? How long have they been in business?
Why are they not listed with the Better Business Bureau.  Should I avoid a builder that is not a member of the Better Business Bureau?

Any and all help would be welcomed.

Barbara Thanks for all the valuable info posted here!
Thanks

BlueBird

I am about to relocate to the Naval Station out there and am looking into any input that might be available as to the quality of the developers, there are always a few that cut every corner and just can't seem to do quality work and after moving from California to Ohio and finding my new house with no power run to the electric range or to the jacuzzi tub amongst other shortcomings, I am just hoping to weed the loony builders before I even get there this time, have found that real estate agents don't always dig up that info for you, heck there job is to just sell you the house after that, you are on your own. granted I amonly looking at a house that goes for around 150-170k, but I still want my moneys worth

Just thought I would check in to see how the house is holding up. Anything you would do differently knowing what you know now?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We moved here due to my wife getting a job with NAVAIR from northern Illinois where we had a 3 bedroom ranch on public water, public sewer, town trash pickup, natural gas...1/4 acre lot in a good neighborhood, in a desirable school district, sold for $132K because of the market.

Are looking at spending $300K - $350K to get something comparable, with a little bigger lot.

If you have USAA, give their moving program a look-see. Our realtor through them (Century 21) has been very solicitous of our needs.

ladyhawk

I would bank my money on the sale of your current home. Rent a small place you can live with for a year then go around and see what builders have or have not done. Over time as you get to know people, ask who built their house and what problems they had along the way. Even though you are renting, it will give you time to make the right decision and help someone else in the process! (For inquiring minds, NO we are not renting, we are selling!)

We've had friends with houses from various builders in the area and their complaints were pretty much the same most of the time... You would be the only one that could decide what you would or would not put up with in regards to the shortcuts and shoddy workmanship with some of these guys... And keep in mind, sometimes a minor thing can turn into a major thing... We've seen that too....

Good Luck and Welcome to the Neighborhood!
June