Kids and running

MMDad

Lem Putt
My 7 YO daughter says she wants to run a race. I figured a 5K would be a good start. I told her that we could go to the track, and when she could run 10 laps we would sign up for the next 5K I could find.

This is her desire, so I'm not going to push too hard. Is 5K for a 7 YO realistic? Or would it be pushing too hard at that age?

BlackSheep

5K, a good start? :jameo: Running from 2-600 meters nonstop, is a great distance for young kids, why not start there.
IMHO, 5K's are a huge undertaking for a 7 yr old child.
Check the following site out:

http://www.aap.org/policy/03326.html

(The 1st thing to keep in mind is that running should be fun for kids.
:yay:)

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I think 5k is a bit much for a 7 year old, especially if she's a beginner.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
MMDad said:
My 7 YO daughter says she wants to run a race. I figured a 5K would be a good start. I told her that we could go to the track, and when she could run 10 laps we would sign up for the next 5K I could find.

This is her desire, so I'm not going to push too hard. Is 5K for a 7 YO realistic? Or would it be pushing too hard at that age?
She should try out to represent her school in the county relay races.

MMDad

Lem Putt
We just returned from our first training session. For medical reasons, I have been unable to run for a while, so this was as much about training me as it was about training her.

New question: Is it safe for a 41 YO out of shape dude to chase his 7 YO daughter as she runs a 5K?

She was disappointed we stopped after only one mile, but my Dr. did tell me not to push myself too hard too soon. By the time I can run a 5K non-stop, she'll probably be ready for 10K.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
MMDad said:
We just returned from our first training session. For medical reasons, I have been unable to run for a while, so this was as much about training me as it was about training her.

New question: Is it safe for a 41 YO out of shape dude to chase his 7 YO daughter as she runs a 5K?

She was disappointed we stopped after only one mile, but my Dr. did tell me not to push myself too hard too soon. By the time I can run a 5K non-stop, she'll probably be ready for 10K.

Do like me ..start with walking to the mailbox and jogging back to the house..breaks are permitted.. :huggy:

BlackSheep

MMDad said:

How's that daughter w/first aid and CPR? :whistle:
Good luck MMDad w/your recovery and that precocious gal of yours! :yay: