RV trip

J

julz20684

So I'm planning the all american vacation for me and the kids this summer; an RV trip to Maine and back. Some of the fondest memories of my childhood included trips such as this with my family.

I'm looking into renting the RV through Cruise America, from Lanham Maryland, which seems to be the closest place available.

The RV is standard size, sleeps 5 for roughly 1100.00 for a week. They only allow 700 miles total for the week and anything over that is .32 per mile. A refundable deposit of $500.00. A supplemental liability for $84.00 but I'm not sure I understand what that is. And other add ons if I want them; kitchen kits, personal kits, etc. Any use of the generator is charged at $3.00 per hour.

Since I have no clue about renting an RV, I'm looking for any advice from people who have rented before or are experienced RV travellers, safety precautions, hidden costs, etc.

TIA :flowers:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
julz20684 said:
So I'm planning the all american vacation for me and the kids this summer; an RV trip to Maine and back. Some of the fondest memories of my childhood included trips such as this with my family.

I'm looking into renting the RV through Cruise America, from Lanham Maryland, which seems to be the closest place available.

The RV is standard size, sleeps 5 for roughly 1100.00 for a week. They only allow 700 miles total for the week and anything over that is .32 per mile. A refundable deposit of $500.00. A supplemental liability for $84.00 but I'm not sure I understand what that is. And other add ons if I want them; kitchen kits, personal kits, etc. Any use of the generator is charged at $3.00 per hour.

Since I have no clue about renting an RV, I'm looking for any advice from people who have rented before or are experienced RV travellers, safety precautions, hidden costs, etc.

DO you have access to MWR!??

I can't remember which base, but I THINK it's Ft Eustis has BEAUTIFUL RV's for rent.. there are a few others too, but I think I found the Useless had the best ones.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
http://www.eustismwr.com/eustismwr.phtml?pageid=20

Link yo Ft Eustis and Ft Story Recreational Rentals..

Super RV 35'................................................................$135.00
Super RV 31' & 29'......................................................$110.00
RV Luxury 29 Foot.......................................................$125.00
RV (Double slideout) 29 Foot Independence.................$140.00
Super RV 27'..................................................................$95.00
Pop-up Camper .............................................................$40.00

Note: $200.00 Deposit is required on all other RV's & Campers. A $20.00 charge will be assessed to all rental cancellations. Cancellations made inside 72 hours will result in loss of deposit for RV's & Campers. RV's may be reserved up to 6 months in advance. There is a two (2) day minimum rental on RV's and Campers. Mileage fee - 1st 750 miles per rental period are free .20 cents per mile thereafter. Does not include any amneties such as pillows, blankets, etc.

Maine is over your free mileage limit one way, so figure about 800 - 1200 miles at .32 cents a mile at the other facilities rates or 20 cents a mile at MWR rated.. 1200 miles = $384 at 32 cents, and $240 at 20 cents..

Last edited:
J

julz20684

itsbob said:
http://www.eustismwr.com/eustismwr.phtml?pageid=20

Link yo Ft Eustis and Ft Story Recreational Rentals..

Super RV 35'................................................................$135.00
Super RV 31' & 29'......................................................$110.00
RV Luxury 29 Foot.......................................................$125.00
RV (Double slideout) 29 Foot Independence.................$140.00
Super RV 27'..................................................................$95.00
Pop-up Camper .............................................................$40.00

Note: $200.00 Deposit is required on all other RV's & Campers. A $20.00 charge will be assessed to all rental cancellations. Cancellations made inside 72 hours will result in loss of deposit for RV's & Campers. RV's may be reserved up to 6 months in advance. There is a two (2) day minimum rental on RV's and Campers. Mileage fee - 1st 750 miles per rental period are free .20 cents per mile thereafter. Does not include any amneties such as pillows, blankets, etc.

Wow, thanks! I will certainly look into this. I heard something about MWR pop-up camper rentals but did not know they did RV rentals. I looked for information this morning but couldn't find anything. :flowers:

P.S. Give BG a hug for me, hope she is doing well!

ServiceGuy

Last year we made a cross country trip to Yellowstone. We left our RV at home and use Camping Cabins all the way with no reservation . KOA has camp ground just about everywhere.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
julz20684 said:
The RV is standard size, sleeps 5 for roughly 1100.00 for a week.
That's $157 a day, plus gas on a vehical that might get 10-15 mpg. I'd be camping in a hotel for that much :lol:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Check with your car insurance too, I know mine will cover a rental car but not sure about recreational rentals. The practical (cheap) side of me has to say for the price you are going to pay you can buy a used pop-up or maybe even an older trailer. Not sure if you wanted the extra space on the trip or were just going to use the RV as a "home on the road" but I see it costing you around $1,500 + fuel. I'm thinking that price probably 15 nights worth of decent hotel stays (and you'd probably get free breakfast out of it too).

jenbengen

Watch it
julz20684 said:

Holy crap! That seems VERY high! 700 miles is only about 10 hours of driving. You won't get very far. LOL. I wouldn't do it for that amount. Seems like highway robbery (no pun intended). :lmao:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
My sis lives in a 40 something foot long RV, turbo diesel and the BIL says they get 10+ with that.
They spend like 10 months every year on the road, friggin RV cost more than my house :lol:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Is your vehicle set up to tow? (brake controller and correct hitch)

Have you checked into the area you are going too to see if they have campers at the campsite you can rent?

Actually plan on going about 50 MPH as opposed to your 70 because hills are a beyotch and going that fast with a camper is truely dangerous. (that is if you plan on towing)

J

julz20684

aps45819 said:
That's $157 a day, plus gas on a vehical that might get 10-15 mpg. I'd be camping in a hotel for that much :lol:

Yeah but then I'd have to fly to Maine and I don't do flying very well at all.

J

julz20684

CMC122 said:
Is your vehicle set up to tow? (brake controller and correct hitch)

Have you checked into the area you are going too to see if they have campers at the campsite you can rent?

Actually plan on going about 50 MPH as opposed to your 70 because hills are a beyotch and going that fast with a camper is truely dangerous. (that is if you plan on towing)

I plan on driving half way the first day and stopping overnight and do the second half of driving the next day (same with coming back).

My vehicle is set up to tow so a pop up camper may be the way to go instead.

I had not thought of the idea of checking the campsite in Maine to see if they have campers on site to rent or for that matter cabins. I thought it would be a great experience for the kids to travel by RV at least once in their life and this was the opportune trip to do so.

Ah hell, maybe I'll just hire a husband for the week so they can worry about all this crap; me, the kids and the dog can just enjoy the ride.

J

julz20684

aps45819 said:
Don't forget the bug repellant, they've got some mean skeeters up there

:yay: I remember those suckers from when I was a kid.

Got it all worked out. The campground does have RV rentals on site and I managed to get one directly across from where my aunts and sister's sites are. For less than 1/2 of the rental of the RV from Cruise America (not including the additional gas I would had to have paid) I can have the whole week. So me, the kids and the dog can drive up in our SUV and have the RV ready and waiting for us.

Thanks to CMC for the idea of checking the campground itself for rentals, I certainly would not have thought of that :flowers:

CMC122

Go Braves!
julz20684 said:
:yay: I remember those suckers from when I was a kid.

Got it all worked out. The campground does have RV rentals on site and I managed to get one directly across from where my aunts and sister's sites are. For less than 1/2 of the rental of the RV from Cruise America (not including the additional gas I would had to have paid) I can have the whole week. So me, the kids and the dog can drive up in our SUV and have the RV ready and waiting for us.

Thanks to CMC for the idea of checking the campground itself for rentals, I certainly would not have thought of that :flowers:
I'm a camping :diva:

Glad it worked out:clap: