Advice on a habit

watercolor

yeah yeah
So here is the deal. Skeeter finds it necessary that when she is done with her meal (or snack) that she over turn her bowl/plate/etc. She will then proceed to knock everything off of the table and or highchair. We stop her, in the process of these actions, but she will do it again in a moments notice, and then food and such will be scattered everywhere. Which in turn, then she takes her sippy and will throw it over the side. I know that there is a stage where they game play with the "uh oh lets drop something" to see it picked up. But- this is definately not that.

Basically it boils down to this, she doesnt do it in public, only at home or where I work. And I would like to break her of this of course. Any ideas of what to do, or how to repremand her, without using a spanking? I have tried time out, but it only works for the second of the offense, and then the next time she has food- she does it again. It has become and everytime habit now, and we tell her "no, that isnt nice" or "dont do it" when she is getting ready to overturn the plate/etc.. any other ideas out there? If it has happened with your child(ren) what worked well with you?

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
watercolor said:
So here is the deal. Skeeter finds it necessary that when she is done with her meal (or snack) that she over turn her bowl/plate/etc. She will then proceed to knock everything off of the table and or highchair. We stop her, in the process of these actions, but she will do it again in a moments notice, and then food and such will be scattered everywhere. Which in turn, then she takes her sippy and will throw it over the side. I know that there is a stage where they game play with the "uh oh lets drop something" to see it picked up. But- this is definately not that.

Basically it boils down to this, she doesnt do it in public, only at home or where I work. And I would like to break her of this of course. Any ideas of what to do, or how to repremand her, without using a spanking? I have tried time out, but it only works for the second of the offense, and then the next time she has food- she does it again. It has become and everytime habit now, and we tell her "no, that isnt nice" or "dont do it" when she is getting ready to overturn the plate/etc.. any other ideas out there? If it has happened with your child(ren) what worked well with you?

As soon as you see she is done, take the bowls, plates, ect from her.

watercolor

yeah yeah
watercolor said:
Any ideas of what to do, or how to repremand her, without using a spanking?

:lmao: hey mainman..

I am trying to not use that, as to only use a spanking when it is really really needed. Dont get me wrong- I dont have a problem with popping her one... which, if it comes down to it- I might have to.. but ya know.

Our youngest ( 21 months ) has this habit too. I just have to keep a close eye on him. As soon as he starts to go for the bowl/plate I'll take it and ask if he's all done. If he says no, he gets another chance to eat. If he's just going to play the bowl/plate is taken off the highchair and he's giving a few minutes to figure out what he wants ( while he protests ). He doesn't do it at school either, just at home or when we are eating out.

watercolor

yeah yeah
jwwb2000 said:

We have done that, only to find out that she wants more a few minutes later. But- maybe we should just leave it that way the first time?

oldman

Lobster Land
You could always superglue her bowl to the tray. You've got to clean the tray anyways so you can just throw it all into the dishwasher. Zippy's, well that may be a problem.

watercolor

yeah yeah
CableChick said:
He doesn't do it at school either, just at home or when we are eating out.

Exactly. She also doesnt do it at my mothers house. She wont hesitate at my inlaws house- but she will not do it when we are out or at my mothers.

watercolor

yeah yeah
oldman said:
Zippy's, well that may be a problem.

the sippy's luckily dont leak- that is more of just an annoyance factor- but to which she needs to not learn to throw it down when she is done. But- I have almost thought about gluing the dang thing down.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
jwwb2000 said:
:yeahthat: And she doesn't get it back, period. J used to be a notorious plate thrower, and I tried a few different things, but the only one that worked was taking the plate and taking him out of the high chair. If he was going to play, mealtime was over. It only took a couple of times before he figured it out.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Nickel said:
:yeahthat: And she doesn't get it back, period. J used to be a notorious plate thrower, and I tried a few different things, but the only one that worked was taking the plate and taking him out of the high chair. If he was going to play, mealtime was over. It only took a couple of times before he figured it out.

That worked for mine as well.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
They do make bowls with sucktion cups on the bottom that stick to the high chair tray to stop from turning over. Of course, this doesn't teach her not to, it just stops her from being able to. I would think it's better to try and teach her not to.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Tinkerbell said:
They do make bowls with sucktion cups on the bottom that stick to the high chair tray to stop from turning over. Of course, this doesn't teach her not to, it just stops her from being able to. I would think it's better to try and teach her not to.

Eh tried, she yanks it off. :lmao:

SoMDGirl42

watercolor said:
Eh tried, she yanks it off. :lmao:
I have a 14 month old that does the same thing. I was going to buy the suction cup plates, so thanks for saving me some mula! :lmao:

Can you just put the food directly on the highchair tray? I know I've tried this at times and she can't get the tray off by herself, (YET!)

watercolor

yeah yeah
SoMDGirl42 said:
Can you just put the food directly on the highchair tray? I know I've tried this at times and she can't get the tray off by herself, (YET!)

I would rather not put it directly on the tray- as I am getting her use to eating with her utensils and with dishes. She is to old now to just be eating on the highchair for meals. If its a snack- I dont mind, but actual meals- I want her to get use to dishes.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
I had the same problem with my son and nothing we did worked. He just grew out of it, but our dining room was a mess after every meal for a while. He did it at restaurants, too. I put one of those plastic mats around his high chair at home. Good Luck.

tastycakes

I have this problem too. What I've been doing (was a suggestion from another Mom who had gone through this) is giving only small portions at a time. Once any throwing of food begins, I guess their finished and the meal ends. She did this with all 3 of her kids and it has worked and I'm starting to see a difference myself.