Chinese Caligraphy

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Anyone know anything about it??

I'm trying to learn a few words so I can paint the top of a small box for a friend. I've come across 5 different versions of the words dragon and it's not easy to get the strokes right.

Do I need a special brush?

Is acrylic paint to thick to get proper strokes???

TIA

onebdzee

off the shelf
Beelzebaby666 said:

I'm trying to learn a few words so I can paint the top of a small box for a friend. I've come across 5 different versions of the words dragon and it's not easy to get the strokes right.

TIA

Did you try and google it?

I think I have a book of Kanji/Kana(japanese) around here somewhere and it shows you how to do the brush strokes

Pete

Repete
Beelzebaby666 said:

TIA
If you look on the brush, probably close to the tip in teeny letters it should say "Made in China" if it doesn't, probably the wrong type of brush. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'm pretty sure they make brushes and ink specifically for calligraphy. Check Michael's.

bcp

In My Opinion
Im not sure about the chinese part but I know that for real letters (like ours) you have to hold the tip of the brush or pen (wide tip, not round) at a constant angle throughout the entire letter. If you start the stroke with a 30 degree angle, you have to hold that exact angle (or close to it) the whole way through, this is what gives it that 3d look that you are searching for.

I can do it with the alphabet, but Ive never tried any chinese stuff cause I cant read it anyway.

ShyGirl

You might try looking for Sumi ink and a Sumi brush, though it may not matter that much if you will be creating a bigger version of the "word" to put on the outside of a box.

For the proper "word" to use, you may be able to contact the instructor of the Essential Chinese, Personal Enrichment class at CSM. The Instructor is Vicky Grow: VickieG@csmd.edu

Best of Luck!

The attachment is a Chinese Good Luck symbol.

Attachments

• fu3.gif
    fu3.gif
    900 bytes · Views: 134

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Thanks guys..(not Pete or hvp) :lol:

I"m painting the top of a jewelry box I'm refinishing. I think I have two of the characters down but the easier looking characters are harder to nail down..:flowers: