Frequent Flyer Miles

SamSpade

Ok, I know this is a dumb question but -

My wife and I have travelled here and there on different airlines. Sometimes, we didn't have any choice in the matter. It just seems weird to me that we've racked up so many FF miles, but because they're on a lot of airlines, we're probably never going to be able to make good use of most of them.

Has anyone ever worked around this? Like, has any airline said "we'll take your FF miles from Delta, but we'll only honor a two for one swap". Or a rental place says "ok, we have a deal with United where you take your miles and rent a car for one day".

Or trade them on eBay.

Is there a way to make use of them? I'm going to be travelling all around the world on about four airlines, and it's not going to help me any, unless I know more about how to exploit them.

CrashTest

Back when I was a Road Warrior, I was racking up tons of frequent flier miles all on Delta. It wasn’t uncommon for me to log 50,000 miles in one month. Back then, I was able to convert my miles into tickets that I could give (sell) to “family members”, The “family member” could select any travel date, travel time, or travel destination.

The most lucrative deal for me was to convert 100,000 miles into 2 R/T tickets to Hawaii. The “family member” would just tell me the names of who was traveling to Hawaii and what days they wanted to travel. I would then turn in my miles for tickets and give them (sell them) to the “family members”. Two R/T’s to Hawaii would get me $900. I can’t even count how many sets of two I sold. On 2 occasions, I sold sets of 4 R/T’s in one shot.

jfrenaye

See if they are onthe One World or the STAR alliance partners. The points tend to be interchangeable.

Points.com will charge you a hefty penalty for swapping the points, but you can use them for somethign you like--magazines etc.

Consider donating them--it is not a bad write off.

Also, you might get some suggestions at the forum called flyertalk.com

I try to fly alliance partners and whenever I can, I use them. I do not see them being of much vallue in the future--it is already costing more to redeem and then it is a question of redeeming them when you want to travel!