Madonna makes Dixie Chicks look like virgins!

K

Kain99

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Madonna's latest album, "American Life," hit stores Tuesday and left critics asking if the Material Girl, after 20 years atop the musical heap, had lost her touch as pop's most successful chameleon.

As with all of the singer's offerings, her latest opus has come with its fair share of controversy aimed at stoking the public's interest before the album's release, her first in almost three years.

The video for the album's first single was pulled due to offending images of her throwing a hand grenade at a George W. Bush look-alike -- an image Madonna said might be misunderstood while the nation was at war with Iraq.

Madonna's cry for attention!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I can't help but think of that "strange" (putting it nicely) guy, was it Kevin (?) that tried out for American Idol this season. He sang Like A Virgin. I about died laughing! All he needed was the wedding dress! :roflmao:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99

Madonna's cry for attention!

And I'm sure she appreciates people enhancing her cry for attention by posting this stuff on sites :biggrin:

I remember back in the day when people like tipper gore and her PMRC wanted music banned because of "foul" language. Then they wanted the parental advisory stickers on all of the "bad music" and told parents to never let their kids hear this music. You know what? With all of her media attention, sales for these "banned" cds sky rocketed. I loved it. The more she cried that people shouldn't listen, the more media coverage she got and Americans are curious people by nature, they all wanted to know what the fuss was about, so they bought more and more of the cds.
The record industry couldn't BUY this kind of media advertisement. In business, it isn't always just "good" publicity that helps a lot. ANY publicity can boost sales, it is how things work in America. We are a curious bunch.

I'm not a big fan of madonna. But I respect her for staying in this game and being successful for so long. I don't like the rolling stones, but I respect the fact they have been around sooooo long and they still can sellout a 50k venue in 20 mins (I guess they still perform? Haven't heard much lately)

K

Kain99

Re: Re: Madonna makes Dixie Chicks look like virgins!

Originally posted by SmallTown
And I'm sure she appreciates people enhancing her cry for attention by posting this stuff on sites :biggrin:

OMG! You're right! I probably boosted sales for Madonna by posting this thread.

You know what small minds we all have here......... Most SOMD'ers are so stupid they won't understand that I'm calling her a Mc-retard! :rolleyes:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
SmallTown, you're right that Madonna has a gift for calculated outrageousness. During her "glory" years, she knew exactly what she was doing when she courted controversy. She clearly craves attention, good or bad.

But as she's gotten older, this stuff has seemed more and more forced. Reminds me of how performers like Springsteen seem to lose their touch around age 40. I mentioned this once to my wife, who is a therapist, and she said most people with antisocial disorders grow out of them around age 40. Maybe most rock performers have a low-level antisocial disorder.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: Madonna makes Dixie Chicks look like virgins!

Originally posted by Kain99
OMG! You're right! I probably boosted sales for Madonna by posting this thread.

You know what small minds we all have here......... Most SOMD'ers are so stupid they won't understand that I'm calling her a Mc-retard! :rolleyes:

No kain, not at all. It is all about human (or just american?) curiosity. We don't care how bad it is, if we hear about it, it gains our attention.
How many times have you heard someone open a jar and say "Oh my god, this smells awful. Here, smell..." If just asking that isn't bad enough, many people will in turn smell it and say "damn, you're right!" They KNOW it is bad, and still do it.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio
SmallTown, you're right that Madonna has a gift for calculated outrageousness. During her "glory" years, she knew exactly what she was doing when she courted controversy. She clearly craves attention, good or bad.

But as she's gotten older, this stuff has seemed more and more forced. Reminds me of how performers like Springsteen seem to lose their touch around age 40. I mentioned this once to my wife, who is a therapist, and she said most people with antisocial disorders grow out of them around age 40. Maybe most rock performers have a low-level antisocial disorder.

Could be.

Plus, you can see I never said I admired her as an enterainer or a singer, just that she has stayed around for so long.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: Re: Re: Madonna makes Dixie Chicks look like virgins!

Originally posted by SmallTown
No kain, not at all. It is all about human (or just american?) curiosity. We don't care how bad it is, if we hear about it, it gains our attention.
How many times have you heard someone open a jar and say "Oh my god, this smells awful. Here, smell..." If just asking that isn't bad enough, many people will in turn smell it and say "damn, you're right!" They KNOW it is bad, and still do it.

How about rubbernecking at accident scenes? Understandable, sure, but rude. Someone could be dying and people are gawking at them?