Where to get good running shoes??

Happygirl

Walking for a cure!!
Hi all, I am looking for a good place to get running shoes. I would like to go somewhere where there are people who know how to help get you the proper fit and type of shoes. Any suggestions? (preferably in the tri-county area). Thanks!

T.Rally

Vinny_DP said:
There are no specialized shops in the tri-county area that can provide the help you need. The big names in Waldorf only carry a few brands and the sales people are clueless about shoe fitting.

roadrunnersports.com is probably your best source for finding a quality pair running shoes. Most everyone I know that runs orders their running shoes from there. They have fit and selection guide http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/topic.jsp?contentId=200006 that is very helpful as well as a great return policy if you don’t like the shoe fit.

Make sure if you are actually walking vs running to buy a walking or cross training shoe. Running shoes tend to have a bigger heal giving you a forward lean. Running shoes will be very uncomfortable after a few miles of walking.

Good luck on your Avon walk.

He's right.

There is nothing more important than getting the right shoe for your style of running. Everyone is different; from moderate pronators to severe pronators and everything in between.

I get my shoes from Pacers in Alexandria. They're worth the drive if you don't want to do the internet thing.

My personal preference are the Mizuno Wave Alchemys.

http://www.runpacers.com

Vince

Had the right shoes, but had to give up running. Pounded the pavement too much and screwed up a disk in my back. :shrug: Doc said if you keep smashing your disks around, you'll be getting surgery soon to fix'em up.

T.Rally

Vince said:
Had the right shoes, but had to give up running. Pounded the pavement too much and screwed up a disk in my back. :shrug: Doc said if you keep smashing your disks around, you'll be getting surgery soon to fix'em up.

I've had trouble with the L5\S1 myself in 1997 and again in 1999. Doctor told me I may want to take up something else other than running. What I've found worked for me was strengthening my core. I had no idea of the important role the abs and back play in ones stride.

I have found that between doing deadlifts, squats, and hyperextensions that my back has never felt better and I still run today.

Vince

T.Rally said:
I've had trouble with the L5\S1 myself in 1997 and again in 1999. Doctor told me I may want to take up something else other than running. What I've found worked for me was strengthening my core. I had no idea of the important role the abs and back play in ones stride.

I have found that between doing deadlifts, squats, and hyperextensions that my back has never felt better and I still run today.
I'm not giving up for good. I still go to the weight room everyday, but have to be careful strengthening my back. My Doc suggested yoga. Never tried it before, but it can't hurt. :shrug: I hope to be back running someday.

T.Rally

Vince said:
I'm not giving up for good. I still go to the weight room everyday, but have to be careful strengthening my back. My Doc suggested yoga. Never tried it before, but it can't hurt. :shrug: I hope to be back running someday.
'
Try it. May I recommend a book? Its called "real men do yoga" and you can pick it up used on Amazon for like 10 bucks.

I'm not into the whole "zen" yoga thing but poses like the Warrior, half eagle, and the bridge are fantastic.

Vince

T.Rally said:
'
Try it. May I recommend a book? Its called "real men do yoga" and you can pick it up used on Amazon for like 10 bucks.

I'm not into the whole "zen" yoga thing but poses like the Warrior, half eagle, and the bridge are fantastic.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I was a runner in H.S. and college. Had to give it up due to joint damage. I blame it on my H.S. track coach my senior year. He was a new coach. He was an idiot. Warm ups had to be done "as a corps" that meant the shot putters were put in the front of the group for our 2 lap warm up jog (walk for the distance runners). He also didn't let us do enough long distance training. We only ran an average of 20 miles a week until the Regional meet. He even penalized the distance crew for doing a 15 mile run instead of a 5 mile run. The week following Regionals, he bumped us from 20 miles to over 50. That is where we needed to be all along. However, with no build up, the drastic change lead to me developing tyndonitis (sp?) in my right knee. Went from a personal best of 9:42 2 mile time at the County meet to a way sub par 10:25 2 mile at the State meet. Layed off over the summer to let the knee heal and then made the mistake of wearing the shoe the college supplied my freshman year at Towson. Addidas Torrsion (sp?). Hideously bad for my running style. No lateral support. Messed my knees up even worse. Due to the damage from untreated tyndonitis in BOTH knees I have massive cartillage/joint damage and cannot run anymore.

Moral of the story? Wear the right shoes for your sport AND body type, and train properly.

Zazzy

Happygirl said:
Hi all, I am looking for a good place to get running shoes. I would like to go somewhere where there are people who know how to help get you the proper fit and type of shoes. Any suggestions? (preferably in the tri-county area). Thanks!

I just bought some running shoes from Foot Locker. Didn't get a whole lot of help, just a point in the right direction of where in the store to find the running shoes. I do however love the shoes I just got....they are Nike Shocks. They were pretty expensive but are great for running. I think the best thing to do is to try on several different types of running shoes and find the ones that feel the best. Getting the inserts also helps absorb some of the shock.

I

Inkpen

Happygirl said:

Try Double "D's" in Prince Frederick. Off Stokley Rd.
They are a small gym and will fit you with the correct shoe.
http://www.google.com/search?source...34,GGLJ:en&q=Double+D's.+Prince+Frederick,+MD
They do not have a web site for the gym, but Joyce does have on for the disabled pets she works with: http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/

Happygirl

Walking for a cure!!
Thank you everyone for all the great information. I will be walking, not running, but the Avon Walk people recommend running shoes as they offer better support. I had picked up a pair of Rebok's and thought they fit well, but after a couple of training walks my feet were slipping around in them, and I was afraid I was going to get blisters!!

I

Inkpen

Happygirl said:
Thank you everyone for all the great information. I will be walking, not running, but the Avon Walk people recommend running shoes as they offer better support. I had picked up a pair of Rebok's and thought they fit well, but after a couple of training walks my feet were slipping around in them, and I was afraid I was going to get blisters!!

Thanks for running!
My mom is a breast cancer survivor and I survived ovarian cancer, now 15 years clear!
Thanks!!! :howdy:

Nupe2

Happygirl said:

This store is in Charlottesvile, VA - http://www.raggedmountainrunning.com/

Even though it's out of the way, they are the only store that I've seen that will watch the way that you walk both barefoot and in your current shoes to help determine not only what type but IF you even need new shoes! They are apparently well known for their expertise and customer service. Just an FYI if you find yourself in that area sometimes.

Good luck and a GREAT Cause! :yay:

Happygirl

Walking for a cure!!
Thank You!!!!

Inkpen said:
Try Double "D's" in Prince Frederick. Off Stokley Rd.
They are a small gym and will fit you with the correct shoe.
http://www.google.com/search?source...34,GGLJ:en&q=Double+D's.+Prince+Frederick,+MD
They do not have a web site for the gym, but Joyce does have on for the disabled pets she works with: http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/

I went and saw Joyce today. She was great, and fit me with an awesome pair of shoes. Thank you for the great advice. I will recommend her highly!

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Happygirl said:
I went and saw Joyce today. She was great, and fit me with an awesome pair of shoes. Thank you for the great advice. I will recommend her highly!
Got mine out of the Calela's catalog-Clarks Air Mover Shoes :yay: