02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Member Since: Nov 2003
Chas: Early childhood registration begins April 22
This just in from Charles County Public Schools... Early childhood registration begins April 22
Registration for prekindergarten and kindergarten students begins Monday, April 22, at all Charles County public elementary schools. To enter prekindergarten for the 2013-14 school year, students must be four years old by September 1. To be eligible for kindergarten for the 2013-14 school year, students must be five years old by September 1. Registration for in-county students is conducted at the individual elementary schools. To find out what elementary school your address is zoned for, use the School Locator feature on the Charles County Public Schools website at http://www2.ccboe.com/schoollocator/
. Contact the department of student services at 301-934-7326 if you need information about registering a child who is moving to the area. All children entering Charles County Public Schools must have the following information:
- A physical examination by a physician or a certified practitioner (physicals must be completed between nine months prior to and six months after entering school);
- Proof of required immunizations against communicable diseases (Department of Health and Mental Hygiene 896 form showing the required immunizations are available at any school);
- Proof that the student has completed the grade prior to the one in which the parent is seeking enrollment, such as a report card marked promoted;
- The child's birth certificate or other acceptable proof of birth (passport/visa; physician's certificate; baptismal or church certification; hospital certificate; or birth registration). If the child was born in Maryland, a copy of his/her birth certificate can be purchased from the Charles County Health Department, 301-609-6900; and
- Two proofs of residency: deed, lease, rental agreement, current utility bill (complete with name and address), current cellular or telephone bill (complete bill with name and address), ratified purchase contract and letter with settlement date, current car registration card, property tax bill for domicile (not assessment), most recent car or property insurance bill, current pay check with name and address, property title record, current court document (with name, date, and home address), recent social security check (with name, date, and home address), written documentation of home visit by a pupil personnel worker, letter from service provider (e.g. SMECO) indicating date service will begin, and letter from local postmaster for all addresses with a P.O. box number on Post Office stationary.
Any proof of residency, bill, or other document must be presented in its entirety with parent/guardian name and both the residence/service address as well as the mailing address including city, state, and current date. Students who are transferring from another school in Maryland should also have a copy of the Student Record Card 7 that is completed by the sending school. The Student Record Card 7 is also called the Maryland Student Withdrawal/Transfer Record.The selection of prekindergarten students is based on criteria and guidelines set by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) and Charles County Public Schools. Placement in the program is based on need in the following three categories:
- Category one: economically disadvantaged or homeless children; MSDE defines economically disadvantaged as children eligible for free or reduced lunch and homeless status documented by CCPS;
- Category two: prior participation in a state or federally funded program, such as Head Start or Even Start; English Language Learners (ELL), Speech IEP (Individualized Education Plan) or Child Find Referral Form, or eligible family circumstances; and
- Category three: children who are not eligible for categories one or two, and if vacancies exist, which are determined on a school-by-school basis.
For more information, visit the CCPS website at www.ccboe.com
or contact the office of early childhood at 301-934-7360.Charles County Public Schools provides 26,700 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 35 caring community schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education. Read More on the Charles County Public Schools Web site...
[ Reply w/Quote ]