10 Most Badass Muscle Cars You've Never Heard Of

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

1972 Ford Maverick Grabber​

Compact muscle cars like the Chevrolet Nova SS and Plymouth Duster 340 are icons, but what did Ford offer for the segment? The long forgotten Maverick Grabber – a mighty Ford that gave GM and Mopar a run for their money.

Besides a flashy paint job and the addition of hood scoops, the Maverick Grabber featured a 302-V8 mated to a three-speed manual transmission. Its 0-60 mph time is a respectable 8.7 seconds, so it's a shame gearheads have mostly forgotten about this little muscle car.

1979 AMC Spirit AMX​

AMC was mostly out of the muscle car game by the late 1970s, but they had one last trick up their sleeve before completely giving up on the segment. The economy focused AMC Spirit was given a loud Malaise Era paint-scheme and the iconic 304 small-block V8.

The 304 mated to a four-speed manual can hit 60 mph in 10.4 seconds, not too shabby for a car only making 125 horsepower. The AMC Spirit AMX is also the last AMC to feature a factory installed V8, marking the end of AMC muscle cars for good.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I remember the Grabber Mavericks well.

:yay:

A friend that lived across the street from me, a real hard core Ford guy, had a Cyclone. He had a brake lock on the thing and used to rip pavement with a burnout. It was definitely a "Stick you to the seat" model.

Last edited:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Love the less popular muscle cars. So may Mustang's and Camaro's out there. Love them too though!

stgislander

PREMO Member
I remember my late cousin had a comedy album with a skit about a crime fighter named Studebaker Hawk. I can't remember the comedian.

Kinnakeet

1972 Ford Maverick Grabber​

Compact muscle cars like the Chevrolet Nova SS and Plymouth Duster 340 are icons, but what did Ford offer for the segment? The long forgotten Maverick Grabber – a mighty Ford that gave GM and Mopar a run for their money.

Besides a flashy paint job and the addition of hood scoops, the Maverick Grabber featured a 302-V8 mated to a three-speed manual transmission. Its 0-60 mph time is a respectable 8.7 seconds, so it's a shame gearheads have mostly forgotten about this little muscle car.

1979 AMC Spirit AMX​

AMC was mostly out of the muscle car game by the late 1970s, but they had one last trick up their sleeve before completely giving up on the segment. The economy focused AMC Spirit was given a loud Malaise Era paint-scheme and the iconic 304 small-block V8.

The 304 mated to a four-speed manual can hit 60 mph in 10.4 seconds, not too shabby for a car only making 125 horsepower. The AMC Spirit AMX is also the last AMC to feature a factory installed V8, marking the end of AMC muscle cars for good.

Both of those were junk and ugly IMO