State Parks in SoMd...

Hessian

I have volunteered many hours at several state & MNCPAP sites and some federal parks.
It must be very discouraging for the benevolent groups and part time workers who plan & advertise and reach out to schools with programs and only get a trickle of visitors.
I have now taken a position in the DNR and have enjoyed several hours posted at a site with a few but very interested visitors.
The state has come up with more & more painful ways to slice their DNR budget:
a) Consolidating ranger positions
b) Removing all waste cans
c) Cutting back events
d) Closing non-supervised state lands
e) raising fees
f) reducing hours
h) hiring non-benefit part time workers
i) leaning on volunteers to do programs & maintenance.

While the pencil pushers in Annapolis have figured out how to squeeze the parks,...only a few people have raised a voice of protest:
Want the best way to let Annapolis know that we love our parks?

VISIT THEM!--we need folks just to stop in ...walk trails, fish, fly kites, run scout programs, off-road bike, and just let the workers know that you want the parks to stay open, available, and be well maintained.
MAKE SURE YOU SIGN IN EVERY TIME YOU VISIT!

I love where I work part time: more than the classroom, I just wish we could see more people take advantage of all the opportunities we offer.

The weather is great, the parks are open, see you Sunday!

Jason Kish

For a good workout and the inability to get lost unless you are drunk or hiking with your eyes closed, St. Mary's lake is kick ass!! 8-10 miles of a continuous loop around the lake.

Fishing, birds, et al.

Greenwell is good for a short hike around some cornfields, on the Pax, and fun for running beagles on a quite Sunday chasing deer and chipmunks. Shhh.

Cedarville in Waldorf has like 15 miles or so of looping trails. Fun for running beagles on a quiet Sunday chasing deer and chipmunks.Shhh

Calvert Cliffs has some nice inclines and declines on the back sections and a spectacular view of the bay and is fun for running beagles on a quiet Sunday chasing deer, chipmunks, and seagulls. Shhh

I don't have my beagle anymore, but my little foxhound/beagle hybrid is probably chasing deer, chipmunks, and seagulls right now somewhere.

I

Inkpen

Jason Kish said:
For a good workout and the inability to get lost unless you are drunk or hiking with your eyes closed, St. Mary's lake is kick ass!! 8-10 miles of a continuous loop around the lake.

Fishing, birds, et al.

Greenwell is good for a short hike around some cornfields, on the Pax, and fun for running beagles on a quite Sunday chasing deer and chipmunks. Shhh.

Cedarville in Waldorf has like 15 miles or so of looping trails. Fun for running beagles on a quiet Sunday chasing deer and chipmunks.Shhh

Calvert Cliffs has some nice inclines and declines on the back sections and a spectacular view of the bay and is fun for running beagles on a quiet Sunday chasing deer, chipmunks, and seagulls. Shhh

I don't have my beagle anymore, but my little foxhound/beagle hybrid is probably chasing deer, chipmunks, and seagulls right now somewhere.

St. Marys has a lake? Where?

BuddyLee

Football addict
Inkpen said:
St. Marys has a lake? Where?
To the north of Calaway on route 5.

I've volunteered for Point Lookout state park for about 5-6 years now. It always amazes me with its picturesque beauty and the history and plethora of mysterious stories has a tendency to arrest my attention along with many others. When I started, the park had hired about 6-8 full time naturalists/historians who developed and conducted programs year-round for not only the campers but for the local public. Last year they had 1-2 part time at the same position and I hear its only getting worse. With the budget being cut constantly the state parks can only hope to garner more volunteer hours.

If anyone is interested in volunteering for Point Lookout state park send me a PM.:yay:

johnycarcinogen

Hessian said:
I have volunteered many hours at several state & MNCPAP sites and some federal parks.
It must be very discouraging for the benevolent groups and part time workers who plan & advertise and reach out to schools with programs and only get a trickle of visitors.
I have now taken a position in the DNR and have enjoyed several hours posted at a site with a few but very interested visitors.
The state has come up with more & more painful ways to slice their DNR budget:
a) Consolidating ranger positions
b) Removing all waste cans
c) Cutting back events
d) Closing non-supervised state lands
e) raising fees
f) reducing hours
h) hiring non-benefit part time workers
i) leaning on volunteers to do programs & maintenance.

While the pencil pushers in Annapolis have figured out how to squeeze the parks,...only a few people have raised a voice of protest:
Want the best way to let Annapolis know that we love our parks?

VISIT THEM!--we need folks just to stop in ...walk trails, fish, fly kites, run scout programs, off-road bike, and just let the workers know that you want the parks to stay open, available, and be well maintained.
MAKE SURE YOU SIGN IN EVERY TIME YOU VISIT!

I love where I work part time: more than the classroom, I just wish we could see more people take advantage of all the opportunities we offer.

The weather is great, the parks are open, see you Sunday!

just paid my $35 for two Calvert Cliffs yearly passes :yay:

johnycarcinogen

Jason Kish said:

Fishing, birds, et al.

Also very nice is the ACLT, They have some good trails, but thats not a state park, and there is no fee to get in.

Hessian

Unsure...

What is ACLT? Where is it?

Thank you BuddyLee for your long term volunteering!!
I'm off to the DNR training session next month for three days and that sounds like fun.
What is really crucial is getting the youth to love our history & nature parks-
they will be the ones to volunteer & bring their kids out...or the ones willing to cut the funding.

I have found that Democratic leadership is more partial to funding-for which I am thankful but...they spend on plenty of things I am not thrilled with.

Anybody here visit Merkle wildlife sanctuary?
Or Magruder's landing?
or Patuxent River Park ?(PG county park)

I'll find some web sites for those interested...
(PS...I'd like to run a photo contest for one of the parks-anybody interested??)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Jason Kish said:

Fishing, birds, et al.

Do you have a picture of your foxhound/ beagle hybrid??

When I bought my foxhound he was advertised as a large breed beagle.. well 70 pounds later, the vet told me he was an American Foxhound.. purebred. Smartest, friendliest, and most loyal dog I've ever owned.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BuddyLee said:
To the north of Calaway on route 5.

I've volunteered for Point Lookout state park for about 5-6 years now. It always amazes me with its picturesque beauty and the history and plethora of mysterious stories has a tendency to arrest my attention along with many others. When I started, the park had hired about 6-8 full time naturalists/historians who developed and conducted programs year-round for not only the campers but for the local public. Last year they had 1-2 part time at the same position and I hear its only getting worse. With the budget being cut constantly the state parks can only hope to garner more volunteer hours.

If anyone is interested in volunteering for Point Lookout state park send me a PM.:yay:
How much longer before they open up the lighthouse to the public?

SeaRide

Hessian said:
What is ACLT? Where is it?
I think ACLT is about 2,500 acres or about 3,000 acres of land including Parkers creek located between Prince Frederick and Scientists' Cliff in Calvert county. I 've hiked there several times. I 've paddled up the Parkers creek on seakayak.

American Chestnut Land Trust <- click
about ACLT <- click
Maps and Trails <- click

Hessian said:
Anybody here visit Merkle wildlife sanctuary?
Or Magruder's landing?
or Patuxent River Park ?(PG county park)
Yes I 've been to Merkle Wildlife once long time ago and heard things have changed over the years.
Magruder's landing.. yes I've launch my boat there before.

I don't find myself being interested in having anything to do with parks in PG county. Been there, doesn't strike my fancy to go back.

Last edited:
Jason Kish said:

Cedarville is not Waldorf; it is in Brandywine. :razz:

BuddyLee

Football addict
itsbob said:
How much longer before they open up the lighthouse to the public?
About last year.:lol:

They open it up for the public once a month (in the warmer months I believe).

They also conduct paranormal investigation tours once every other month. They're thinking about expanding both though.

Call for more info. 301-872-5688.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BuddyLee said:
About last year.:lol:

They open it up for the public once a month (in the warmer months I believe).

They also conduct paranormal investigation tours once every other month. They're thinking about expanding both though.

Call for more info. 301-872-5688.
The Navy is moving so they can open up the lighthouse and the point to the public.. the new construction looks like it is more than 1/2 way done.. so was wondering how soon we could go to the point!

BuddyLee

Football addict
itsbob said:
The Navy is moving so they can open up the lighthouse and the point to the public.. the new construction looks like it is more than 1/2 way done.. so was wondering how soon we could go to the point!
I haven't been down in a month or so so I haven't seen the latest. I'd guess that they'd like to have the Navy equipment officially out of there before summer hits.

itsbob said:
Used to work down there. It was nice having our own private fishing areas. At very low tides you could walk all the way to the channel marker along the sand bar.

Hessian

Bass Fishing from Smallwood...

Anybody tried the competiton fishing from there?

I know the ponds at Merkle are available during park hours and the fishermen I met hauled 20+ Catch & Release bass last weekend. Just sign in & have a license unless you are under 12.

edinsomd

GREENWELL! Come for the manor house, stay for the horse poop! J/K, 600 acres, 15 miles of trails, 2 miles water front, a fishing pier, two swimming beachs on the Patuxent, picnic tables and grills. Home of the Theraputic Horseback Riding Program and Summer Camp Programs for the kids. Its one of the best kept secrets in St. Mary's county, so stay away.
Ed