Grandma's move

grandpa

Grandma has a wild hair that she wants to move to Southern Md.
We have made a few trips over the past few years to look over the area. We were origionally from Colorado, snow, wind , etc.  Relocated to Texas,
Too hot, too dry, no soil, just rocks. Now she wants Southern Md. She heard that you really have "soil" not dirt.
Point me in the right direction, as to where to settle.
We are seniors, retired but not feeble. Both of us like QUIET. I am a rose nut, the boss just likes all flowers and trees, and bushes, and anything else that is green.
Have looked at many places on the map, but its hard to see how things are by looking at a map.
Would appreciate any help.
Grandpa

James D

Is there any doubt, Charles County has it all.  Closer to DC, lower taxes then St. Mary's, and bigger than Calvert.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Wildewood Community in California, MD has a really nice retirement community...quiet, trees, etc...  Or even the neighborhood outside of the retirement community is really nice, in my opinion anyway.  It all depends on how important the neighborhood aspect is, or if you'd rather be on a more isolated part of land.  Good luck!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
James,

I agree that Charles County has it all, but there are pros and cons to Calvert/Charles.  I prefer Calvert all around, less busy, and I just like the area better.  But man, trying to find a house for a decent price, or even land for that matter, in Huntingtown/Dunkirk is a task!  Everything is so expensive!  Southern Calvert is cheaper of course, but that isn't where we want to be in the future.

Lauren

Christy

b*tch rocket
Grandpa, do you mean that orange clay you have to take a jack hammer to in order to dig a hole?  That's what I've got in my yard!  :)  

I prefer St. Mary's County myself.  The further away from Waldorf you are, the better!

(Edited by Christy at 1:34 pm on April 8, 2002)

mgorfain

grandpa...

One thing you need to know about the retirement community is the monthly dues are outragious (I am a real estate agent)  several hundred dollars PER MONTH!  so if you choose that community I hope you have lots of money to burn.  Depending on what you want from the area will really dictate  where is best for you.  You're best off with a single family home, and some posters here are right, prices in mid to northern Calvert are getting pretty high.  If you like to shop, be in "civilizaton" and don't mind fighting traffic, Waldorf is the area for you.  If you want a house with a rose garden (I am serious, wierd coincidence here) I just listed a home tonight with a rose garden (the owner boasted over 100 varieties of roses).  

To get an idea of the area I have a lot of good information on my website attached above this post.  Anything I can do to ease your confusion of getting familiar with the area, please email me & I will help you out.

grandpa

No thanks on retirement communities.
I have seen " Lavender Estates ", but can't seem to find where its at, Can anyone help me? Also, is there any experience with  D & E Construction ?
Any help would be appreciated.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
NO Waldorf, this place SUCKS!!!!  There's no soil, just dirt and rocks!!!  This place used to be swamp land before it was developed!!!  It's over crowed, lots of traffic(it's take you 30 mins to get out of Waldorf and it's only 5 miles!!!)  The house's are way over priced and build cheaply and NO acreage.  You can't even find a acre here.  And quite forget that!!  You have all the stupid teenagers running around here with there stupid bumblebee mufflers and load a$$
bass.  Trust for some stupid reason I live here(just to be close to family). You want quite, get a big farm on the Eastern Shore(my husbend will farm it for you!!!HEHE)

mgorfain

grandpa

Lavender Estates is in mid st marys county and is a development of new homes.  if you'd like more information please email me and I can send you information about it directly from the mls system.  I am unfamiliar with the track record in that area.  What is best is on your next visit here, to visit the folks in that area who used that builder.

K

Kain99

Wildewood Community in California, MD has a really nice retirement community...quiet, trees, etc...  Or even the neighborhood outside of the retirement community is really nice, in my opinion anyway.  It all depends on how important the neighborhood aspect is, or if you'd rather be on a more isolated part of land.  Good luck!

Yes! Call Compass Pointe! Call Greg Verga 301-751-8779 Tell him Debbie Dement sent ya!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
In case you missed it, Grandma and Grandpa went back to Texas a long time ago.