Why does my cat shake?

mellow

I've noticed that my cat shakes sometimes, like he's shivering. But it's not cold, and I'm pretty sure he's not upset. Anyone know if I should be worried? He seems perfectly normal (or as normal as any kitten) otherwise.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
mellow said:
I've noticed that my cat shakes sometimes, like he's shivering. But it's not cold, and I'm pretty sure he's not upset. Anyone know if I should be worried? He seems perfectly normal (or as normal as any kitten) otherwise.

Little kitty could have fever. Dry nose? Hot ears? :shrug:

jetmonkey

mellow said:
My cat did that after he got hit by a car. Your cat may have experienced some physical trauma. I'd consult a vet.

mellow

Radiant1 said:
Little kitty could have fever. Dry nose? Hot ears? :shrug:

He does have a dry nose. His ears don't seem to be hot though. I only notice this happening ocassionally. Anyone know the name and number of that vet that comes to your home? She was listed in the paper a while back...

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
He could have a fever.

He could have a neurological disorder.

He could have experienced trauma.

It's vet time.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
mellow said:
He does have a dry nose. His ears don't seem to be hot though. I only notice this happening ocassionally. Anyone know the name and number of that vet that comes to your home? She was listed in the paper a while back...

How old is your cat? You don't have a regular vet?

mellow

cattitude said:
How old is your cat? You don't have a regular vet?

I do have a yearly plan with Banfield at PetSmart. He's less than a year old, and he's had all his shots and shouldn't be sick. He stays inside and I have no other pets. (I know that doesn't mean he's totally safe, but he seems fine -- eating, drinking, using the bathroom, playing like a nutcase.) I was just thinking the in-home vet might be less traumatic for him.

jetmonkey

mellow said:
I do have a yearly plan with Banfield at PetSmart. He's less than a year old, and he's had all his shots and shouldn't be sick. He stays inside and I have no other pets. (I know that doesn't mean he's totally safe, but he seems fine -- eating, drinking, using the bathroom, playing like a nutcase.) I was just thinking the in-home vet might be less traumatic for him.
Someone could have kicked him unbeknownst to you.

Mikeinsmd

mellow said:
Are you ugly? Maybe he's scared. :shrug:

mellow

jetmonkey said:
My cat did that after he got hit by a car. Your cat may have experienced some physical trauma. I'd consult a vet.

Did your cat shake all the time, or just ocassionally?

mellow

jetmonkey said:
Someone could have kicked him unbeknownst to you.

I seriously doubt anyone could have kicked him. He only comes out of hiding for me. Now I've accidently run into him several times, but nothing hard. He just gets under my feet sometimes...

mellow said:
I seriously doubt anyone could have kicked him. He only comes out of hiding for me. Now I've accidently run into him several times, but nothing hard. He just gets under my feet sometimes...
Something is bothering him.
A memory perhaps.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
mellow said:

Have you called a vet yet?

Tremors are rhythmic, to and fro involuntary movements that persist through the waking state. True tremors stop during sleep. There are a variety of causes of tremors, depending on which part of the body is affected.

Tremors of the Head

Cerebellar abnormalities (coordination part of the brain)

Idiopathic (unknown cause)

Genetic causes

Inflammatory processes (encephalitis)

Trauma

Drugs

Vestibular diseases

Tremors of the Pelvic (rear) Limb

Weakness or pain

Metabolic disease (kidney failure, low blood sugar)

Compressive lesions of the spine (tumors, narrowing of vertebra)

Neuromuscular diseases

Generalized Tremor

Toxicities (organophosphate, mycotoxins)

Hypomyelination (diseases that decrease the covering of the nerves)

Degenerative neurologic diseases

Idiopathic generalized tremor syndrome (white shaker dog syndrome)

Looks like more than the forum peeps can handle, better call the vet.