Boy Rescued from Calvert Cliffs

K

Kain99

Calvert County firefighters and state park rangers rescued a Prince George's County teenager who slipped while rock climbing at Calvert Cliffs State Park last weekend and dangled from the bluff for almost an hour, authorities said.

Christopher Donals, 13, was climbing up the side of the cliff about 3 p.m. Saturday in the Bay Breeze section of the park during a Boy Scout outing, said Renee Samuels, a Department of Natural Resources spokeswoman.

The Beltsville teenager reached for a tree root that was sticking from the side of the bluff, but it would not hold him. He "grabbed onto the side of the cliff," Samuels said.

He dangled there, 150 feet above the rocky shore and waters of the Chesapeake Bay, before authorities were called by his troop leaders, who were unsuccessful in efforts to help Donals, Samuels said.

About 10 minutes later, park rangers arrived, and they quickly called for units from the Solomons Volunteer Fire Department.

Authorities sent a harness down to the boy, then safely lowered him to the shore, where a fire department boat was waiting, Samuels said.

The area where Donals was climbing is restricted, Samuels said. Signs warn against climbing or walking near the cliffs.

"These cliffs are very unstable," Samuels said. "They have been closed for years. Supervision is absolutely needed and care is absolutely needed."

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
The area where Donals was climbing is restricted, Samuels said. Signs warn against climbing or walking near the cliffs.

I guess they don't teach reading for comprehension to Boy Scouts from PG County. My question is: where was the adult or adults who were *supposed* to be supervising the kids? :duh:

Thank to our rescue teams, another potential Darwin award winner is thwarted. I think the kid should have to pay back the cost of his rescue. :cheesy: