Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Charles County officer murders dog

Charles County officer murders dog

Just got this email, what a shame....and its here to...

http://wwwstmarystoday.com/News/Family_dog_dead.html

Family Dog Killed by Charles County Deputy

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at approximately 2:30 PM, our beloved “Max” a 6-year-old black German Sheppard, was gunned down on our doorstep by Charles County Deputy C Long. Allegedly Deputy Long arrived at our home to serve a warrant on an individual who did not even live with us. He parked on the side of our house, went to our front door and 2 side doors, when no one answered he proceeded around our garage to the side door of the garage. He stated he acknowledged our dog Max when he walked by him. Max, who was on his leash, allegedly snapped at the officer and then the officer allegedly shot Max multiple times in the head, jaw and neck, breaking his choker collar and leaving him to die 2 feet from our door. The officer allegedly went back to his car and called for back up which during that time our son arrived, not seeing anything but Max lying in a pool of blood, picked him up, put him in his truck and raced to the vet in Prince Frederick, but Max died along the way. When my husband and I arrived home shortly after, we found the Benedict Ambulance, 2 unmarked police cars, the animal control van, and 2 Deputy Sheriff cars in our yard, and we still were not sure what had happened. Officer Long was in the ambulance and we were not allowed to speak with him. We were then told they had to take Max with them to do a Rabies test, even though we presented documentation that proved all his shots were up to date, including Rabies. A horrible situation got even worse when they told us we would get our dog back without his head, as that is how they test for rabies! We were told “off the record” that the officer barely needed a band aide, that his pants weren’t even torn. The sadness, pain and distress this situation has caused is indescribable. He was a member of our family and undeniably my husband’s best friend, he spent hours with Max each day, they did everything together. Was his murder justified – NO!

Sharon & Joe Mattia
    Hughesville
    301-274-3434 (Home)
    301-848-9446 (Cell)

mv = margaritaville mv_princess's Avatar
    Could you please check around to see if it's already been posted.

TIA
    Dont cry because it's over...Smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss
    -----------------------------------------------------

Think about it like this. On the other hand, you have different fingers
    ------------------------------------------------------

He might wear the pants, But I control the Zipper
    ------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mv_princess
    Could you please check around to see if it's already been posted.

TIA
    sorry it wasnt on the topic so i didnt see it. please excuse me extreme poster : )

I got that e-mail too. It's sad. :(

Read the story

Since the officer used deadly force, I would put the burden on the sheriff's dept. to show documentation that this person being summoned in fact had that address.
    If they can't, I'd hire the best damned attorney in Washington D.C. and go after the cop and the department for millions.

If they shot my dog and had the wrong house (with no documentation), I would call the national SPCA and let them take the case to a national level.

In this case, I think that would be a very good place to start.

Support Our Troops! TexasSunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allan1058

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at approximately 2:30 PM, our beloved “Max” a 6-year-old black German Sheppard, was gunned down on our doorstep by Charles County Deputy C Long. Allegedly Deputy Long arrived at our home to serve a warrant on an individual who did not even live with us. He parked on the side of our house, went to our front door and 2 side doors, when no one answered he proceeded around our garage to the side door of the garage. He stated he acknowledged our dog Max when he walked by him. Max, who was on his leash, allegedly snapped at the officer and then the officer allegedly shot Max multiple times in the head, jaw and neck, breaking his choker collar and leaving him to die 2 feet from our door. The officer allegedly went back to his car and called for back up which during that time our son arrived, not seeing anything but Max lying in a pool of blood, picked him up, put him in his truck and raced to the vet in Prince Frederick, but Max died along the way. When my husband and I arrived home shortly after, we found the Benedict Ambulance, 2 unmarked police cars, the animal control van, and 2 Deputy Sheriff cars in our yard, and we still were not sure what had happened. Officer Long was in the ambulance and we were not allowed to speak with him. We were then told they had to take Max with them to do a Rabies test, even though we presented documentation that proved all his shots were up to date, including Rabies. A horrible situation got even worse when they told us we would get our dog back without his head, as that is how they test for rabies! We were told “off the record” that the officer barely needed a band aide, that his pants weren’t even torn. The sadness, pain and distress this situation has caused is indescribable. He was a member of our family and undeniably my husband’s best friend, he spent hours with Max each day, they did everything together. Was his murder justified – NO!

Sharon & Joe Mattia
    Hughesville
    301-274-3434 (Home)
    301-848-9446 (Cell)

That is just a darn shame! I know I would be getting a lawyer!

I can't imagine this! The dog was protecting his turf, even if he did growl, bark, whatever. I know there are good cops and bad cops, but I don't care for them at all, and I have people in my family that are cops.

I would be doing something to make sure my story was heard too.

I once hit an animal, my cousin's dog, I was only going 30 mpg but the dog literally came out of no where. I was so upset, I starting throwing up and hyperventalating. When I went to get help from a neighbor they thought I hit a person I was so distraught. I could not even drive home after that, I had to leave my car at my father's house that night.

These poor people.
    ~Drew Wonka~

Quote Originally Posted by allan1058

Sharon & Joe Mattia
    Hughesville
    301-274-3434 (Home)
    301-848-9446 (Cell)
    First of all, how come your son did not see the officer at your house when he discovered Max? Was the Sheriff 'hiding' or something?
    Second, do you have a "Beware of the Dog" sign posted?
    If not , you may not be able to do anything at all.
    I'm so sorry you lost Max, especially the way you did. I would definately make sure the whole world knew about it. Call '7 on your Side' or something.
    Certainly the dog may have reacted in a 'threatening' manner but pulling a gun out and shooting him was UNCALLED for, especially when he was on a leash.
    Good Luck in whatever you do.
    A hand full of PATIENCE is worth more than a bushel of BRAINS!
    In loving memory of my granddaughter "Madison" 11/10/07-3/14/08

I don't know who gave the red karma, but you didn't have to be a coward about it!
    ~Drew Wonka~

Angry Something Stinks Bad!

This officer is saying that the dog attacked him.
    I know that if my dog was not tied and someone pulled up in a car, that
    dog would be barking like hell and around to the front of the house before the guy got out of the car. What the heck was this cop doing trapesing around this gentleman's property serving a warrant. Knock on the front door and if there ain't nobody there, LEAVE!

A six year old could tell this was a crock from the get go. And this guy (from the news report on TV) was involved with two other shootings of dogs. This guy needs to be investigated and the sheriff needs to ask why these people are roaming around the outside of a house, when clearly there is no one home.

If the dog was tied, a good vet would be able to tell if there was stress caused by the dog tugging on the lead. If the owner provided documentation that the dog had rabies shots (and if I was the owner), I would have sicked another 10 rottweilers on the guy, telling me he has to take my dog for rabies and they need the head. What a line of Bull$$$$.

I hope the owner digs up Johnny Cochran and SUES THE LIVING S$$t out of the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT!