Insurance Co. Blacklists Dogs

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Bear is fluffy and about 45 pounds and when a visitor approaches the front door, she lets out a half-hearted bark before scampering away for a nap behind an overstuffed chair in the living room.

But this dog, rescued from the streets by a family 11 years ago, is at the center of a controversy that has put her owners on the verge of eviction and the landlord in danger of losing his liability insurance.

And it's all because Bear, whose favorite activity of the day is going for a ride in the car, is part chow chow, one of several breeds on the insurance company's list of dangerous -- and uninsurable -- dogs.

The list, based on dog-bite fatality statistics from 1979 to 1998, has been used by several companies to deny or cancel coverage of landlords and individual homeowners who have pit bulls, German shepherds, Rottweilers, malamutes, Doberman pinschers, even Saint Bernards. Such lists have gained a high profile since the Jan. 26, 2001, mauling death of Diane Whipple in San Francisco and reflect an apparently growing fear that dogs can be a major financial liability. Whipple was killed by a Presa Canario, a breed also on some blacklists.

Ten to 20 people die from dog bites each year in the United States, the majority of them children.

Jacquelyn Huls, who has lived with her husband and two children in the same three-bedroom rental home the past 16 years, says she would rather move than give up her dog Bear. The family lives in the Meadowview area in south Sacramento.

"She's like one of the children," Huls said. "If I'm sad or upset, she gives me comfort. She goes for rides with me in the car. You should see her when my husband comes home and she hears the car."

George Barnes Jr., the owner of that home and 21 other rentals, says he has little choice. Three of his rentals have been damaged by fires in the past two years. After the third fire, his insurance company dropped him.

"I had to apply for additional insurance and was rejected a number of times," said Barnes, who finally found an insurer through a broker in Southern California.

The company, which he declined to name, initially approved his coverage of the rental homes. On his application, Barnes had listed, among other things, that a dog lived at the Huls' residence. In late March, he received a follow-up call from the company asking the breed of the dog.

Days later, he received notice in the mail that his insurance on that house had been canceled. To be reinstated, Barnes says he was forced to tell the family that the dog had to go.

"I do feel bad. But what choice do I have?" Barnes said.

The Huls family received a 30-day notice to move out and is frantically looking for a new rental in a tight housing market. Jacquelyn Huls says she has called about 200 places without luck. The family has two other mixed-breed dogs that stay in the back yard. Huls says she will try to find new homes for them. Bear, on the other hand, has the run of the house and is a dear family pet.

Several experts in the rental real estate market say such sticking points between tenants and landlords are often resolved when the landlord requires the tenant to obtain renters insurance. Barnes did not do that with Huls. After The Bee asked him about it, he said he called his new insurer but was told his liability policy would be canceled if the dog remained.

The rest of the story and the list.
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/3192778p-4241425c.html

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I just built a new house and was talking to my insurance agent about insuring it. I was jokingly telling him about my "children" - cats and dogs - when he suddenly asked me what kind of dogs they were. I mentioned we thought one was a Rottweiler-Husky mix and he immediately jumped on the Rottweiler part. He told me most companies now will not insure you if you have a "dangerous" breed - Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Doberman, etc. That floored me - I've been attacked by more "safe" dogs - Cocker Spaniels, terriers, even poodles - than I ever have a "dangerous" dog. We agreed that from now on the dog will be referred to as a Husky mix since we don't know for sure if he in fact has Rottweiler in him.

Anyway, I think it is outrageous the insurance companies are controlling what kind of animal you can own. Another trend to watch out from insurance companies is they are now checking your credit score - bad credit, no insurance. Both of these to me are a total invasion of privacy - is there any way to stop this???

BTW - My dog is the biggest baby - loves to give kisses and get hugs, make adorable Wookie sounds when petted, and is a cuddle bug.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I wonder if the insurance co's will cancel you "after the fact". When will they come for the smokers? :mad: I'm not sure it can be stopped until they lose business because they won't be insuring anyone for one reason or another.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Does this crap ever make me mad. Breed bans/breed specific laws are ridiculous!!! We are supposed to be the more intelligent species right. It's not the dogs it's the people that own the dogs. When I worked as a vet tech I saw more bites from little yippie dogs (which I'm not biased against, I have one of those too) then from any "supposed" agressive breed. Cockers and Poms being the worst culprets. I myself had a Jack Russel try to take off my finger and still wear the scars from a cat mauling my arm. The reason GSDs, Pits, Rots and such are singled out is because they have the potential to do far more damage. When a person is "attacked" by a poddle they must have provoked it but let a Pit bite someone and the entire breed is evil. I've looked very hard into both sides of these arguments and honestly for a while sat on the fence when it came to breed bans in certain areas. My reasoning being that breed bans are usually set for lets say pretty "ghetto" areas, these are the same areas where people think that agressive/fighting dogs are a status symbol, if you make it illegal for people to have these dogs then less dogs will suffer the abuse of living in these areas therefor making the problem a little better. Then I came to my senses and realized that dog fighting is illegal and people still do it, putting a breed bad on a certain location won't stop the bad people from doing what they want it will only stop the decent people. Anyway, I've gotten way off track, sorry, this is just something I'm very passionate about. BTW do you guys know that the Tri-County shelter does not adopt out Pits, Rots and such... They are held for a week and if nobody claims them they are put down. Calvert County Humane Society does try to help the situation and when they have room they come and take what dogs they can and adopt them out.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Good points, Pixie. We hashed this topic out on the forums when it was a survey question. There were very few people in favor of banning breeds.

Personally, I think ankle-biters are the worst. But you can always give them a swift kick and off they go..... :lol:

BudoPo

These knee-jerk laws are usually not very wise.

I've heard from a few people that it's illegal to own Bengal cats (two of which rampage through my apartment) in Georgia, even though they're domestic. It makes no sense to me, but there it is. Someone at work showed me a newspaper article from England about a Bengal cat "terrorizing" a small town. It would wander into people's yards and the like. One woman said that she was afraid to be in her garden with her baby because she thought the cat would attack them. The cat "showed no signs of fear of humans". Gee, a cat that's not afraid of people. Go figure. Anyway, they printed a picture of it when it was caught, and it's a pretty cute picture of him in the cage. It really makes one wonder.

blueeyes76

i agree with pixie, it's not the dogs it's the people that own them.

my brother and sister-n-law have a doberman and she is the sweetest thing, she would not hurt a flea. people get so scared when they see her because of the bad rep. dobey's have.

does anybody on here watch animal planet? i was watching animal cops the other night, it's a pretty interesting show. they arrested one guy for having pit bull fights in his basement. it's people like that who should be judged and not the poor dogs.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The only reason the ankle biters don't make the list is it's only fatalities. I'd bet they pay out far more for treatments and minor suits from all the chiahuahua's, poodles and other worthless lap dogs!

Does anyone know of a list anywhere that states which insurance companys are already doing this?