Important Milestone for Me Today

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Today is the day.

I will make my much unheralded return to the diamond after 7 years... to the sport I once lived, ate, breathed, and slept.

When I was in high school, I lived baseball all the way up until my junior year, but when I hurt my shoulder and wasn't able to throw the ball 30 feet, my coach cut me to make room for some younger players.

For about 5 years afterward, I did not have complete range of motion in my arm, and I couldn't put it behind my head without a great deal of pain.

Then one day, I woke up and the pain was gone.

So, here I am, 7 years later, much less athletic and much less limber than I used to be, and I'm going to play today. Our first game was actually last week, and I didn't play as expected, but today, our starting catcher won't be there and I'll be called upon to catch a doubleheader (please Legs, forgive me).

It's funny how things change. Over the course of 7 years, I've gone from baseball being the only thing I lived for to baseball being a sidenote in my childhood. I was devastated when I couldn't play anymore. Now, I'm happy just to be outside and enjoy the weather. I've grown up. I'm confident, able, and I eventually realized there are more important things to life than baseball.

Even if I only play for one season, which is a strong possibility, at least I'll go out on my terms this time. And when I am finished, my life won't have a huge void in it, because I am not the same person I was back then. I have other things to do. This is just for fun.

It was never a goal for me to come back and do this. The opportunity just presented itself and I took it... but I took it without hesitation. Sometimes, you think you spent a good deal of your life holding a baseball, but in the end it could have been the other way around all the time. Maybe I had to do this. Maybe I just wanted to.

Today, I'm going to catch up to 14 innings of baseball. Tomorrow I won't be able to walk. I may not throw any runners out today. I may not block every pitch that hits the dirt. I may not go 4 for 7 with a triple - scratch that - I won't get a triple - but I played. And at the end of the day, at the end of the season, I can say with all honesty, that I don't really care one way or the other if I play anymore.

If anyone wants to watch the comedy act (yeah right :lol:), I play at Legion Field in Charles County today at 1 pm. (Directions at the bottom of this page: http://www.mdmsbl.com/smmsbci01directions.htm) I'll be on the Charles Natty Boh's team in black, red, and gray, wearing number 22. Stop by the dugout and say hey.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
caught 6 innings of the first game...
2 for 3 with 2 singles in an rbi...

we lost both games... and i have a pulled hamstring, a sore shoulder, and a black and blue glove hand... but it was a great day for me...

i was just happy to be there... :smile:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by sleuth14
caught 6 innings of the first game...
2 for 3 with 2 singles in an rbi...

we lost both games... and i have a pulled hamstring, a sore shoulder, and a black and blue glove hand... but it was a great day for me...

i was just happy to be there... :smile:
EXCELLENT>>>>YOU SILL GOT IT !!!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by dpete2q
EXCELLENT>>>>YOU SILL GOT IT !!!

:lol: i got something all right...
not sure that i'd say i got 'it'...

but i got something... like a body that's wondering what the hell i was thinking :lol:

at 25, i'm the oldest one on the team. You wouldn't think there's much of a difference between an 19 year old kid's body and a 25 year old man... but you'd be wrong. What used to take me 24 hours to recover from, now takes me half a week.

but i had fun...
and now i can say i came back... and when i'm done... it'll be because i didn't want it anymore... :smile:

Ponytail

Good luck Sleuth! And most importantly...HAVE FUN!

I know how you feel though, having something you enjoy doing, be brought to and end. That was soccer for me... Played from the time I was 6 till I was 26.

Last edited:

bryansrdisatown

Way to go!

Glad you had a good time... :)

...and I'm completely with you on the pain factor. About 4 weeks ago I started taking a tennis class after not having played regularly since my days at CCCC and while it was nice to be back, for those first 2 or 3 times I played I was really suffereing afterwards. However, now that I'm going once a week it's getting much easier and I'm realizing how much I really miss my tennis playing days. Of course, we get a range of people in the class on any given night, from teens and twenties, to forties and fifties. I fall in the 30-something range! :)

K

Kizzy

I'm in pain from cutting the grass yesterday, so kudos to Sleuth and Bryan for taking up sports. :cheers: