How important are the synopsis and the cover?

MarkHockley

Writer looking for some feedback

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Magic Lands Amazon.jpg
    Magic Lands Amazon.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
As an avid reader, I NEVER judge a book by it's cover. Actually sometimes, the cover artwork can be a bit off putting, too busy, and even have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual book. Just looking at the artwork would have had me miss a lot of very interesting books. I look at the synopsis on the back, or if it's a hardback on the inside jacket. If it intrigues me with the blurb, then I am eager to take home the book. If it is nothing but reviews, or no real description, I'll put it back on the shelf.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I usually stick to my favorite authors but they just can't write 'em as fast as I can read them. If it's an unknown author the cover is what catches my attention. Then I'll look for this...
Book Description
When two teenage boys, Tom Lewis and Jack Barton, climb the gigantic oak at the bottom of Tom's garden they embark on a journey that takes them toward adulthood, a change embracing both enlightenment and loss. Finding themselves in a dangerous, alien realm, where dreams and reality seem to interweave and deception is at the heart of everything, they come under the malevolent influence of a creature known as the White Wolf. What had began as a childish adventure is in fact something far darker and deeper, for the Wolf is playing a momentous game, an arcane puzzle that must be resolved. The boys walk a dark road of treachery and pain, love and lust, sacrifice and redemption. Friendship and loyalty are put to the test and corruption comes in many guises. Finally, truth can only be revealed through pain and forfeit. It is a journey into the heart of darkness where nothing and no-one are what they seem and the rules are the logic of a dream.

If I'm intrigued I might read the first few paragraphs. If I can't put it back on the shelf it goes home. If I can, I keep searching.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Sharon said:
I usually stick to my favorite authors but they just can't write 'em as fast as I can read them. If it's an unknown author the cover is what catches my attention. Then I'll look for this...

If I'm intrigued I might read the first few paragraphs. If I can't put it back on the shelf it goes home. If I can, I keep searching.
:yeahthat:

MarkHockley

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

I definitely agree that the synopsis is the most important thing. When I'm deciding whether to read a book or not, I always base my decision on the synopsis. While the cover can catch the eye initially, it would never be a major factor in my ultimate choice.

I think for my book it's a difficult balance as my story has the conventions of a children's adventure, but is actually far darker and more psychologically challenging (would only be suitable for twelve and ups). I wrote it with adults in mind, but whether they will want to read something like that remains to be seen (I live in hope! :) ).

Thanks again.

Geek

MarkHockley said:
Thanks to everyone for their replies!

I definitely agree that the synopsis is the most important thing. When I'm deciding whether to read a book or not, I always base my decision on the synopsis. While the cover can catch the eye initially, it would never be a major factor in my ultimate choice.

I think for my book it's a difficult balance as my story has the conventions of a children's adventure, but is actually far darker and more psychologically challenging (would only be suitable for twelve and ups). I wrote it with adults in mind, but whether they will want to read something like that remains to be seen (I live in hope! :) ).

Thanks again.

Will you be doing a book signing around town? You should get this book out before Harry Potter.

buddy999

It's Great to be American
MarkHockley said:
Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Personally, the cover may provide an initial attraction to the book. Kind of like the packaging on any other product. The back of the book, much like the back cover to a DVD should include a brief synopsis of the book. As a reader, I hate to take time reading through the first few chapters, only to discover that the book isn't what I initially thought it would be.

Your cover design would also depend upon your target audience. A childrens story, for instance, might rely heavily on the front cover art to attract the reader.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
buddy999 said:
Your cover design would also depend upon your target audience. A childrens story, for instance, might rely heavily on the front cover art to attract the reader.

:yeahthat: I was just thinking the same thing!

But, I will go a step further and say that I am quick to pick up the newer, easy-read layout paperbacks with the "Oprah"-style aestheticism to them - and purchase them - without as much review as the standard black paperback foiled reader.

Hardcovers are reserved for my Peanuts collection and authors/books that I really like (or great yard sale buys :biggrin:)

I go by the synopsis, of course, but also reviews and recommendations and Bestsellers' List.

Let's hope you make all of the above! :clap:

MarkHockley

Just a quick update on my book for those whom have shown an interest. I've pasted in a review from Amazon US that I think gives a gives a good impression of what the book is really like.

'One might look at The Magic Lands and find the title a little generic, and the summary may be a little cliche, but if you were to pick it up you'll see that it is full of suprises. The story is quite a roller coaster and the plot can become utterly unpredictable. I should also mention, that this isn't little red riding hood. The story is dark, bringing up memories of another dark fantasy, Pan's Labrynth. Like Pan's Labrynth,and any good fable, there is an underlying message behind it all and it is a message definitely worth hearing'.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
MarkHockley said:
Just a quick update on my book for those whom have shown an interest. I've pasted in a review from Amazon US that I think gives a gives a good impression of what the book is really like.

'One might look at The Magic Lands and find the title a little generic, and the summary may be a little cliche, but if you were to pick it up you'll see that it is full of suprises. The story is quite a roller coaster and the plot can become utterly unpredictable. I should also mention, that this isn't little red riding hood. The story is dark, bringing up memories of another dark fantasy, Pan's Labrynth. Like Pan's Labrynth,and any good fable, there is an underlying message behind it all and it is a message definitely worth hearing'.
The Pan's Labyrinth reference got me, and the book looks very interesting. :yay: I put it on my wish list and will include it on a future order. Is the book regular paperback size, or trade paperback?

Toxick

Splat
MarkHockley said:

How did I miss this thread all this time? I've actually been looking for something new to sink my teeth into. And the comparison with Pan's Labyrinth also has me interested. I'll check out the blurbs later on when I get home, I might have to read this.

Are you a local author, or did you just hear about what a literary bunch the SOMD Crue is, and decide to get some feedback here?

As for the cover/blurb question you initially posted, I'm kind of torn. A poor cover on a book has never put me off a book - HOWEVER, an eye catching/pleasing cover can go a long way toward getting someone to pick up a book. A personal example is The Wheel of Time - I read Eye of the World (first in the series) many hundreds of years ago... and the main reason I picked it up at all was because I thought the cover art was gorgeous.

A piss-poor synopsis, however, can be fatal. I have put books back on the shelf because the blurb made it sound like the book is nothing I'd be interested in reading. (There have been at least two occasions where I later found out that the book was a good deal better than the blurb had initially led me to believe).

Here's hoping for great success on your novel.

MarkHockley

Thanks Nickel and Toxick!

Obviously I would be very happy if you read The Magic Lands and I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it. Please don't hesitate to ask questions about the story if any come to mind.

To answer your questions, no I'm not local but I was looking for somewhere to get some feedback and here seemed a good place. Judging by the great responses I've had I think I chose pretty well :)

The size of the book is a larger format (8.8 x 6 x 1 inches).

Hope you will both keep in touch.