N. Korea says, "Please come kick my a$$"

K

Kain99

What is the deal with North Korea? These idiots have been picking a fight for months. :rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

North Korea has been running their mouth for years and years, and setting them straight is long overdue.

ThayerP

N. Korea is not going to be another Iraq. The people in N. Korea look to Kim Il Jun as a devine leader, born in the clouds under a rainbow. They WILL fight to the death for him no matter what he does or how they live. They see the sarifices that they make for him as a being holy.

This is NOT a fight we want to get into without some werious backup. The reason we have been leaving our hands off this is because we have been encouraging China to take the lead role in containing them. China need to stay in that role and have already expressed their willingness to do so. The US has a large force to the south and China has a large force to the North of them. They are well contained and are not willing to use their nukes in any capacity other than as a deterrent.

If this escalates it will be China that will initiate action and we will follow-up.

Steve

Enjoying life!
From the article:

"Kim Myong Chol, who styles himself executive director of the Centre for Korea-American Peace, told Australia's Channel Nine network Sunday: "It's quite obvious North Korea may have minimum 100 nuclear warheads, maximum 300. They all lock onto American cities."

Mr. Kim is hoping that America will step in and do the "Regime Change Shuffle", thus liberating the oppressed people of the DPRK.

And saying that the N. Korean people will follow Kim Il Jung because they view him as a divine leader is preposterous. I thought we all learned from Iraq how quickly the masses will turn on their leadership.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They WILL fight to the death for him no matter what he does or how they live.
Hmmm...Steve, now that you mention it, I believe they DID say that about Saddam, too!

ThayerP

Wrong. Saddam said that about Saddam. Big difference. Kim Il Jun has been viewed as this since birth. Saddam was not.

Also, remember the source of these statements about the nuclear weapons in N. Korea. The source wants us to go in militarily and take care of this situation so he will say what is necessary to make that happen, whether it's true or not. N. Korea doesn't have the types of missles needed to deliver nuclear warheads to the CONUS.

Sometimes it's good to look at both sides of the news, put it all together and then using commen sense, cut it in half to get the true picture.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by ThayerP
Wrong. Saddam said that about Saddam.
I beg to differ. Everything you said about Kim Jong Il and N. Korea was said by US Democrats about Iraq and Hussein, prior to them being proven dramatically wrong.

ThayerP

But the difference is major. Kim Il Jun was not the one who declared himself as the divine leader. He was declared this at birth.

Saddam declared himself the new Salahudin of the middle east after he was in power for some time. Not before. Saddam was born into a poor middle class family where his father severly abused him as a child. Things like breaking his bones types of abuse. When he was older and got involved with the Baath party he rose to a position of prominence because he was seen as someone who would take chances with his life to accomplish a goal, such as the attempted assasination of the former Iraqi president. Because of this attempted assasination, he had to flee to Syria. Syria did not want him there and he was forced back to Iraq even though there was a death penalty against him and successfully took over power by force.

Kim Il Jun has had to do none of this. He was tagged at birth as the next divine leader of N. Korea and treated that way.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, Thayer, we've already seen that what people will say under duress is very different than what they think. I'd be curious if the Korean people REALLY believe KJI is divine or if they just say it so he won't kill them. As far as dictators go, this guy is #1 with a bullet, according to the story the Wash Post did.

ThayerP

I'm not saying he is not a dictitorial tyrant. He's on par with Saddam and the rest in history. And the people may very well turn on him when given the chance. What I was making a point on is that there is another "superpoer" in his neighborhood that is threatened more by him than us. We need to let China initiate any action and then we can follow in step with them. To do this as the leader of a coalition, as in Iraq, would be dangerous without that support. The risks of marching into N. Korea are much higher than in Iraq.

China needs to be with us or it will turn into another Korean War with N. Korea getting support from China just to spite us.

I believe this is exactly wha is being setup now. If you look at the way the administrations work, it's almost like they have a MS Project set up on how to do this. They start with getting the media to highlight the wrongs of the regime. Then they wrk to get international support for action. Then they start ratcheting up the military forces. After that you will see action. This time it should be initiated by China with prodding by the US.

(And with a name like Kim I would be pi***ed at the world too. Kind of like the old Johnny Cash song about the boy named Sue.
:smile: .)

B

Bruzilla

Being as North Korea has never tested a nuclear warhead, and being that the complexity of getting one of these things to work requires extensive testing, I don't see how they can say they have any pointed at us.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThayerP

True.

The other difference between N. Korea and Iraq/Saddam is the willingness to use WMD. Saddam showed an open willingness to use them and did. N. Korea has not used them.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by ThayerP
N. Korea doesn't have the types of missles needed to deliver nuclear warheads to the CONUS.
They might not have ICBMs that will reach the CONUS at this time (though they are working on a variety that can do the trick), they certainly have a fleet of 24 submarines that can get close enough to toss a couple our way.

Also, while they haven't tested their own variation of a nuclear device, there is a chance that they purchased one or more from the old Soviet Union and reverse-engineered a few of their own. I wouldn't put anything past the lunatic running their country.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Kim Jung Il (Kim is his last name, Thayer, not his first) was known to be inept even before his father, Kim Il Sung, died in 1994. Everyone then predicted an immediate N. Korean coup and advance into the South because of either a.) the lack of respect on the part of the military for Kim Jung Il, or b.) because everyone knew that Jung Il was "just a wild and crazy guy". Neither happened. Not even a hiccup.

NK does have missiles capable of reaching Japan and possibly Alaska. No evidence exists that they can reach deeper into US territory. Doesn't matter anyway, that would be NK's last mistake.

The bottem line, as I see it, is that NK is using the US attention towards the Middle East as an opportunity for a little saber rattling. NK knows full well that the US is not going to jump from one war into another. So they are giving us the diplomatic "finger". When we do turn our eyes again towards NK, you'd better believe they'll be begging for negotiations.

ThayerP

It is true that the countries typically in the news for nefarious actions have stepped up their actions while the worlds eyes were on Iraq. The eyes are not so focused on Iraq now and NK has already stated that they want to negotiate. They are in that process with China and the US. The last round did get some consessions from them in return for exchange for concessions from China and the US. This is typical diplomatic exchanges. They know that they have bagaining chips to put on the table and are using them.

Ken, the Submarines are a problem to a certain extent. I can tell you for a fact (I have worked on the ASW software systems before) that the US military is aware of any move by any sub off the US coast anywhere. These subs would be the first to be hit in the case of any action.

As for the immaturity of Kim Jung Il (Kim Il Jun whatever), yes it was widely acknowledged that he was immature when he first came to power. This phase has passeed for him and he has become an accomplished politician who knows how the game is played to get what he needs (witness the power plant deal from Clinton.)

I am of the opinion that he will negotiate himself out of the corner and give up what he has to so he can stay in power. Unlike Saddam, he will not be stubborn and bring destruction on himself. That is one thing he did learn from his father.

B

Bruzilla

Originally posted by Ken King
They might not have ICBMs that will reach the CONUS at this time (though they are working on a variety that can do the trick), they certainly have a fleet of 24 submarines that can get close enough to toss a couple our way.

Also, while they haven't tested their own variation of a nuclear device, there is a chance that they purchased one or more from the old Soviet Union and reverse-engineered a few of their own. I wouldn't put anything past the lunatic running their country.

Their submarines are old Soviet Whiskey and Romeo coastal patrol boats built in the 1950s and infiltration/midget submarines. There's no way that these submarines can launch ICBMs (either surface or subsurface), nor can they operate far from their home port without extensive forward support. Lastly, most of these submarines haven't seen the underside of the ocean's surface for years and are either no longer serviceable or are used for training purposes only.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well glad the submarines aren't an issue, but no telling what these lunatics might try with them (especially the minis). Does anyone know where they are with the development of the Taep'o-dong-2 variants (extended ranges of up to 8,000 - 12,000 miles)? If they start testing this missile I would say that would get the pucker factor to a point where they would need to be dealt with.