Earthquakes In And Around Maryland

K

Kain99

With all of the recent east coast earthquakes, I found this information on earthquakes in Maryland pretty interesting. Detailed information, great graphs!

Forty-seven earthquake epicenters have been reported within Maryland's borders. The accuracy and precision of these epicenter determinations is such that a few of the 47 may actually have occurred in adjacent states, and for the same reason it is conceivable that a few of the closer out-of-state earthquakes could have occurred within Maryland. For example, not included in the list of 47 was a moderate shock that occurred on January 2, 1885 in an area near the Frederick County, Maryland-Loudon County, Virginia border. The maximum intensity was V, with the total felt area covering more than 3,500 square miles. Of the Maryland earthquakes, 2 occurred in the Valley and Ridge Province, 36 were in the Piedmont Province, and 10 were in the Coastal Plain Province.

The first reported earthquake to have actually had its epicenter in Maryland occurred south of Annapolis on April 25, 1758, but no record of its strength is known to exist. The shock lasted 30 seconds and was preceded by subterranean noises. Additional felt reports were received from a few points in Pennsylvania (U.S. Geological Survey, 1973). Maryland's strongest confirmed tremor was a 3.1-magnitude event near Hancock, Washington County, in 1978. That perhaps was rivaled by an intensity V event (unknown magnitude) near Phoenix, Baltimore County, in 1939. Earthquakes of such magnitudes or intensities are still considered to be minor, and very seldom result in significant damage or injury.

Scroll Down Half Page for Info

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by watercolor23
I was in the one in SF that was a richter breaker. (remember?) Anyway.. to say the least...that one was SCAREY AS *&^%. My aunt had just gotten off the bay bridge when it collapsed..and I remember sitting in the door way.. watchin cracks and such appear before my eyes and the ceilings collapsing in parts....
I was in the underground parking lot under my 3 story office building in San Jose when that sucker hit. NOT a good place to be! :yikes:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by RoseRed
I was in the underground parking lot under my 3 story office building in San Jose when that sucker hit. NOT a good place to be! :yikes:

Yeah but the story of your escape is great! :lmao:

SmallTown

Football season!
When I was out in San Pedro (near LA) I was intrigued to find out the building I was in was basically on rollers, so when the ground moved, the building wouldn't just crumble. It was good information to know, but then again just the thoughts of it made you a little nervous!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by otter
Enquiring minds, Rose...tap..tap..tap
Just like in the movies!!!! Zippy and I came roaring out from under with all 4 wheels off the ground! It was sensational!!! :roflmao:

Chity-Chitty Bang-Bang.... :cheesy:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by kwillia
:yeahthat:

Uh yea. Thanks god I was only there for a week. And we were near the water, on a hill. I know it wouldn't happen, but all I could vision was a quake hitting, and the building I was in rolling down into the water :biggrin: