$22,000 for a cat...MEOW!!!

I

Inkpen

What people will do...

From MSNBC site:
Complete with stunning photograph of the "cat".

Colossal cat comes with princely price tag
Company's costly kitty, bank fax bomb scare, kidney-donor game show
COMMENTARY
By Brian Tracey
Associate editor

It's no great shock that cat lovers can get a little excessive when it comes to their feline friends. But one company, banking on the fact there are more than a few prospective pet owners willing to part with some serious ka-ching for a kitten, is selling a designer breed of cat that costs $22,000.

The Ashera, bred by Los Angeles-based Lifestyle Pets, "is a new ultra-exotic breed of domestic cat that already has wealthy animal devotees paying to get on the waiting list," the company press release claims.

The pricey pet is said to have been produced by cross-breeding an African Serval and an Asian Leopard Cat with a domestic feline. While Lifestyle Pets admits this type hybrid breeding has been done before, "the Ashera is unique in that genetic monitoring is used to standardize breeding and ensure that the defining features and size of the [animal] remain exceptionally consistent." And like most other super-luxury items, the company says it will sell only 100 Asheras per year worldwide, with only 50 being sold to U.S. customers

And after dropping 22 large, potential buyers should also be prepared to budget for a big supply of Fancy Feast, as the company says the Ashera can grow up to weigh 30 pounds.

Well, for all that money, at least now you can get the yappy Chihuahua next door to finally shut up.

Mikeinsmd

Inkpen said:
What people will do...

From MSNBC site:
Complete with stunning photograph of the "cat".
Whoever buys that is a dummy, I just got this from Fancybelle for free. :razz:

Attachments

• Leah & Pam 6-1-07 004.jpg
    Leah & Pam 6-1-07 004.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 126
M

Mousebaby

I just adopted a 9 yr. old Abyssinian show cat! She is GORGEOUS!!! I just went and picked her up at 8. She has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen! As soon as she comes out of hiding I will get a picture of her. Her name is Lucy! :yahoo:

M

Mousebaby

Mousebaby said:
I just adopted a 9 yr. old Abyssinian show cat! She is GORGEOUS!!! I just went and picked her up at 8. She has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen! As soon as she comes out of hiding I will get a picture of her. Her name is Lucy! :yahoo:

Here she is! She's still a little wet from her bath, and she is extremely "busy" but apparently that is normal for her breed.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Gee, it looks like a... cat.

With its background it should be a good hunter; I'm sure the super-rich owners would love to see their new kitty drag in a bird for dinner. :lmao:

Mikeinsmd said:
Whoever buys that is a dummy, I just got this from Fancybelle for free. :razz:
Looks like one of my cats as a kitten...

Pandora

Mousebaby said:
Here she is! She's still a little wet from her bath, and she is extremely "busy" but apparently that is normal for her breed.

Do people call you the crazy cat lady yet? :eyebrow:

Nice addition. I have 2 and that is plenty. :faint:

M

Mousebaby

Pandora said:
Do people call you the crazy cat lady yet? :eyebrow:

Nice addition. I have 2 and that is plenty. :faint:

I only have 5, River Rat has 6. I would think that I'm not the crazy cat lady here :lmao:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
When I visited the Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, FL, one of the curators explained that all of these "exotic mix" cats are created in a very ghastly fashion...

Apparently when mixing a domestic cat with a Serval, Ocelot, Leopard cat, or any other non-domesticated breed the first five generations decended from the original pair still have too much wild instinct to be pets so they are immediately bred, and then euthanized. It's quite sad.

Personally, I'll stick with rescues. No sense in paying for an animal when millions of free ones need homes.