No Universal Healthcare

B

Bruzilla

While watching the Dems debate on Saturday I heard a lot of talk about universal health care, and the more I thought about the concept the more I didn't want to see it happen. Here's why I feel that way. I work 45-50 hours a week, and pay $190 per month for my portion of my health coverage. For that amount I get about 80% coverage of my medical expenses (about average for most plans). Federal politicians and most, if not all, Federal employees have coverage that's better than that, and it's payed for primarily through tax dollars.

Assuming that universal healthcare started out at about 80% coverage, how long would it be before advocates for those covered came out and said "if these people couldn't afford the $100+ bucks per month for premiums, what makes you think they can afford to pay the 20% of their bill." So in order to get more votes the government will decrease the amount recipients have to pay until it reaches zero percent.

If universal healthcare comes along, and it is managed like every other federal program like it, we'll quickly see the government giving better healthcare coverage to participants in the program than is being received by the poor schmucks who have to work all week to pay for it. I say screw that!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Survitude...

...I am of the opinion that your employer should cut you a check based on whatever time frame you've agreed on for the gross amount of whatever you've agreed on.

Any and all taxes should then be billed to you by the taxing authority (state, local or federal). You then pay the bill and act accordingly about the expense and the benefit.

Any and all "benefits" IE medical insurance should be something you decide to either purchase or not in any amount YOU feel is appropriate.

B

Bruzilla

During the debate John Edwards said, and Gephardt did not dispute, that going with Dick's plan would cost every working person at least $800 a year more in an additional tax. What's worse is that even though companies will get some of their money back through tax credits, forcing them to pay more to hire Americans is just going to make hiring workers overseas just that much more attractive.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I'm not crazy about government run healthcare - I've SEEN government housing.....

demsformd

Gephardt's plan is unworkable and completely detrimental to the fiscal position of this nation. Yes, some of the 2001 tax cut such as the provision that cut back the top bracket's taxes 6%, should be rescinded but definitely not all of it.