gas prices, my idea on how to get the prices down

sgt_turmoil

We all learned about supply and demand in school. the more people have of one thing, the less it is actually worth. In order to get the gas prices down I figure that if everyone starts investing in the oil industry, then everyone will have to be paid the outrageous profits the oil companies seem to be making lately. It should either (A) offset the cost of gas and or (B) since everyone now has stock in oil it wont be worth as much. I don't know how much gas stock is worth but I'm gonna ind out real quick. If and when they switch to the E-85 Ethanol fuel you can bet I'm gonna be grabbing some of that too. It will keep them from spiking the prices on that answer to fossil fuel. Same thing goes for rising electric prices. If everyone becomes Corporate America. Then the Corporate America will have a say at what everything costs. We will control our own prices instead of being told what we have to pay.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
:yikes: What a concept!!!
Did you figure out that its a good idea to invest in a business that generates a profit all by yourself?

bcp

In My Opinion
if not for the fact that there are a limited number of shares available in any company, and since shares are valued based on company assets, and in a small part expectations, there can not be enough shares outstanding to do what you suggest.
in fact, if there was a run on shares like that, you might see the price of the share go up instead of down.

ylexot

Super Genius
bcp said:
if not for the fact that there are a limited number of shares available in any company, and since shares are valued based on company assets, and in a small part expectations, there can not be enough shares outstanding to do what you suggest.
in fact, if there was a run on shares like that, you might see the price of the share go up instead of down.
:yeahthat:

Coventry17

The problem is that Americans have less and less and disposable income and have very little for savings/investments.

Dondi

Dondi
Coventry17 said:
The problem is that Americans have less and less and disposable income and have very little for savings/investments.

And most of it disposed on gas.

Has anyone noticed that Gas prices are now cheaper in Solomons than California? Fastop and Rawlings Citgo are both $2.67 today. WaWa is $2.70 and BJs is $2.72. For the last few weeks Solomons prices have been up to 5 cents cheaper than on the St. Mary's side.
Does anyone think that its possible that WaWa has run most of the little competitors off and now they can raise prices? Sheetz is not a competitor. They are content to follow WaWa's pricing. BJ's will always drop down a penny or two. But you have to pay that member fee to get it.
Interesting or not??

ylexot

Super Genius
luthersomd said:
Does anyone think that its possible that WaWa has run most of the little competitors off and now they can raise prices?
It might be possible if there were actually any little competitors that were run off...

CAPPY2609

dont be dumb
ylexot said:
:smack: Gas prices only rise because of greedy oil corporations. :rolleyes:

:sarcasm:

you cant blamne corporations for raising prices in response to demand. Thats simple market theory. There is some manipulation at work here, but its quite simple. Our consumption as a nation along with others around the world is what drives these companies to make profit.
Before complaininig about the high prices, what steps have you taken to economize what you already use? Do you drive a giant V8 expedition to pick up groceries and drop the kids off at soccer practice for instance?
Its a business, not a charity.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
luthersomd said:
Has anyone noticed that Gas prices are now cheaper in Solomons than California? Fastop and Rawlings Citgo are both $2.67 today. WaWa is $2.70 and BJs is $2.72. For the last few weeks Solomons prices have been up to 5 cents cheaper than on the St. Mary's side.
Does anyone think that its possible that WaWa has run most of the little competitors off and now they can raise prices? Sheetz is not a competitor. They are content to follow WaWa's pricing. BJ's will always drop down a penny or two. But you have to pay that member fee to get it.
Interesting or not??

Speaking of that, someone correct me if I'm wrong (which, won't surprise me if I am here, I'm going off hearsay), but wasn't the excuse that Calvert and Charles were normally higher priced due to the "additives" they put in the gas, plus an extra cent or 2 added because they are considered "city" atmospeheres or some crap like that...

dn0121

sgt_turmoil said:
If and when they switch to the E-85 Ethanol fuel you can bet I'm gonna be grabbing some of that too. It will keep them from spiking the prices on that answer to fossil fuel.

It takes more energy to make corn ethanol then it yields. Gas mileage is also impacted. Bread costs more, because less farmers are growing wheat. You want to make some money? Convince them to make E-85 from Sugar Beets, or better yet cellulosic ethanol. Then you will be making a difference.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
bcp said:

Actually, shares of a company are worth whatever they can be sold for. Look up a quote on any company. The "book value" is several times less what the share price is for the most part.

Example: A lot of the markets (mostly financials) crashed the last two weeks because quite simply: People stopped buying. So... They're dropping prices/values down to what people will pay. And of course, the fallout from the debt markets has already started carrying over to everything else- including oil.

At the time of this writing Chain owned shares in 2 major banks, an oil company, and a steel company that's a big supplier of oil and natural gas pipes.