Accident

SmallTown

Football season!
I don't recall seeing this posted.
I know how bikers tend to have a rather tight gathering, and since we have some riders on here, thought you would be interested in seeing this and if you knew him. There is mention of another rider at the end of the article. Sad stuff.
The one at the end of the article gives me cold chills, being hit head on by a truck.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18221-2003May5.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My daughter starts Driver's Ed on the 28th and I gotta tell you, I'm petrified. I'm not sure which would be worse - if she were killed or if she killed someone else. I realize that, statistically, she's way more likely to be just fine than she is to be involved in a major accident, but still...

Taz

I can see where you're coming from on this. It will be years before my daughter is ready to get behind the wheel, but the thought of it almost petrifies me. Will cars be that much safer when she's old enough, or will there be so much traffic on the streets and already overcrowded highways that just driving will mean she's taking her life into novice hands?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I saw this story yesterday morning. Mig & I heard about the first accident while it was happening and it is a shame this man lost his life. Also a shame for the other guy as well. Have probably seen him around since he too was from Hollywood.

I was on Memorial rides two weekends in a row and the deaths of these two men were due to the car drivers negligence.

After being to two extremely close calls as a passenger, I don't ride all that often anymore. I guess motherhood does that. It is a shame to think it, but someone has to be around to take care of my daughter and I would prefer it to me me and not some other family member.

Ponytail

WTF!!! I see alot of idiot drivers around, and at times I resemble them! But Holy cow!!, Between the poor road planning/design around here, and the # of youthful, or otherwise ####head drivers, I'm starting tothink that the bike, and myself are safer being parked in my basement.

all of the roads listed in that article are raods that seem to be nice "riding" roads.

I didn't see accidents like this in Philly!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ponytail
WTF!!! I see alot of idiot drivers around, and at times I resemble them! But Holy cow!!, Between the poor road planning/design around here, and the # of youthful, or otherwise ####head drivers, I'm starting tothink that the bike, and myself are safer being parked in my basement.

all of the roads listed in that article are raods that seem to be nice "riding" roads.

I didn't see accidents like this in Philly!!
Kind of disheartening, I know. Just be extra careful of all your surroundings and on a vigilant dumba$$ alert.

K

Kimmy

I went to school with one of the guys that past away. It is just so terrible. He just got married recently too. My thought's and prayer's are with the family's that lost loved one's over the weekend.

An uncle of mine died as a result of a motorcycle accident. It happened on Christmas Eve and he past away 7 days later. He was only 19. I never got to meet him because it happened before I was born. Christmas is sometimes hard for my Dad and the rest of his family but they make it through it. He was my Dad's only brother.

K

Katie

The one Jay Rhode his wife works with us here at Veridian.

K

Kimmy

Originally posted by Katie

He is the one that I went to school with. It is just so sad. :bawl:

K

Katie

Originally posted by Kimmy
He is the one that I went to school with. It is just so sad. :bawl:

Yeah we were talking about it yesterday. It took all I could do to keep from crying. Him and his wife hadn't been married very long at all.

SxyPrincess

"Michael W. Phelps, a 23-year correctional officer in Calvert County, died at Prince George's Hospital Center from injuries he suffered when he was thrown from his 2002 Harley-Davidson motorcycle on Route 5 in St. Mary's County, Maryland State Police said.

Phelps, 46, was headed south on Route 5"

So...how old was he?
:confused:

Ponytail

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
"Michael W. Phelps, a 23-year correctional officer in Calvert County, died at Prince George's Hospital Center from injuries he suffered when he was thrown from his 2002 Harley-Davidson motorcycle on Route 5 in St. Mary's County, Maryland State Police said.

So...how old was he?

He was 46 years old, worked for the corrects department for 23 years. :wink:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SxyPrincess

So...how old was he?
He was 46. Been a correctional officer for 23 years.

K

Kizzy

I must have skimmed through it not noticing... My roots are showing again...

I did the same thing when I read it the first time. Must have been our high school education. :wink:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Katie

Wow...I know him and just found out about this now! His family is good friends with my family, and his parents live next door to my aunt and uncle. Unbelievable! He gave me my very first jet ski ride. :frown: