Too Many Mikes - RIP

MikeyBash

I was the original bass player with "Too Many Mikes" We started withour first gig at a private party, and grew to a bar show that attracted the most people who'd ever come there to see a band. After about 15 gigs, we were really getting noticed and building a reputation.

Then, a few days after a very successful show, the band leader called me aside and told me I was fired. Later, I found out that I was kicked out by two band members without telling or consulting the other members of the band. Each of these guys told me they were surprised I'd been fired, and if they'd been asked, they would have argued against it.

The funny thing was that the more successful we got, the more these two guys seemed to resent me being in the band. If you ever saw the old Too Many Mikes with me on bass, you can judge for yourself if my playing had anything to do with it--and from the recordings I've seen and heard, it absolutely didn't. I personally think, and others have said this too, that those two didn't like me distracting attention from them on stage. What they wanted was a bass player who stood still in the background and let them be the show. To me, I figure people like to see the whole band perform, not just the two guys who stand in front. But I came to the conclusion that they think the ARE the band, and everyone else is there more or less to make them look good.

Anyway, this is starting to sound like sour grapes so I'll finish with one last thought: Whatever the reasons Too Many Mikes decided to got rid of one of their founding members, it's not going to stop with that. I'm convinced they'll continue to change the band until it becomes what they want it to be--a showcase for their individual talents. Maybe they should change the name to "Too Many Huge Egos".

yngwie1

Since you chose this venue to rant and air your dirty laundry, first, you weren't the original bass player, we had someone else for 7 months who had to quit for personal reasons and on good terms.
Second, It was thought that a band was supposed to be a fun environment but you seemed not to understand that when you blew up twice, first time during a gig and then threatening to quit, second time, when you threatened the drummer at practice as you swung your bass around and told him "come on MO @!#$% FU #$%^& lets take it outside", that just didn't seem to be very fun. That added a lot of tension to the mix. So we started to think when is the next time.
Then you set up a meeting to discuss that you wanted to get rid of our new drummer of 2 months. Which we said he was improving and trying his best to be better and that we wanted to give him a chance to better himself and 2 months isn't enough time to decide that.
Then we found out you were looking at other bands. So then we knew you were going quit, which is fine, just let us know so we can plan accordingly, since we have gigs planned.
And we had a lot of patience and spent a lot time with you to teach you one on one ,some of the songs. We showed a lot of patience when you couldn't get some songs down. We put up with the showing up late to practice, problems with your gear, and the leaving the gigs right before the show starts for petty things. (guitar straps,etc) That is not a professional showing.

If you want to think that it was your dancing around on stage then thats fine.
Oh yeah, the whole band DID know the decision contrary to what you think or what was said.

One has to look into himself and think,mmm, why do so many other bands let me go after a couple of weeks?

yngwie1 said:
One has to look into himself and think,mmm, why do so many other bands let me go after a couple of weeks?
See this is exactly the question I asked myself after reading his post. It's hard for a band to find compatible, talented members and it didn't make sense that a band would kick a guy to the curb simply because he has charisma. :eyebrow:

smoothmarine187

yngwie1 said:
Since you chose this venue to rant and air your dirty laundry, first, you weren't the original bass player, we had someone else for 7 months who had to quit for personal reasons and on good terms.
Second, It was thought that a band was supposed to be a fun environment but you seemed not to understand that when you blew up twice, first time during a gig and then threatening to quit, second time, when you threatened the drummer at practice as you swung your bass around and told him "come on MO @!#$% FU #$%^& lets take it outside", that just didn't seem to be very fun. That added a lot of tension to the mix. So we started to think when is the next time.
Then you set up a meeting to discuss that you wanted to get rid of our new drummer of 2 months. Which we said he was improving and trying his best to be better and that we wanted to give him a chance to better himself and 2 months isn't enough time to decide that.
Then we found out you were looking at other bands. So then we knew you were going quit, which is fine, just let us know so we can plan accordingly, since we have gigs planned.
And we had a lot of patience and spent a lot time with you to teach you one on one ,some of the songs. We showed a lot of patience when you couldn't get some songs down. We put up with the showing up late to practice, problems with your gear, and the leaving the gigs right before the show starts for petty things. (guitar straps,etc) That is not a professional showing.

If you want to think that it was your dancing around on stage then thats fine.
Oh yeah, the whole band DID know the decision contrary to what you think or what was said.

Nevermind all that crap, let's get to the important question. Is your name Mike also? Are there still to many Mikes now? or not enough Mikes?

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
smoothmarine187 said:
Nevermind all that crap, let's get to the important question. Is your name Mike also? Are there still to many Mikes now? or not enough Mikes?

Actually, it's one less Mike. :yay:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
What is with all the band drama? I'm really surprised men have so much drama, I thought it was us women that thrived on drama. :drama:

:lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
yngwie1 said:
when you threatened the drummer at practice as you swung your bass around and told him "come on MO @!#$% FU #$%^& lets take it outside", that just didn't seem to be very fun.
Really? Sounds like fun to me :popcorn:

Yngwie (odd that you would call yourself that, btw), is this your first reasonably successful band? Because the bassist threatening to kick the drummer's ass is fairly standard band behavior, once you get past a certain success point. Next step is going after the lead guitar. When they beat the #### out of the singer in the parking lot after a gig, NOW you're ready for the big time :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bay_Kat said:
What is with all the band drama? I'm really surprised men have so much drama, I thought it was us women that thrived on drama. :drama:

:lmao:
Women, musicians.. same, same..

When he threatened to kick the drummers butt he was probably just PMS'n