Banana Peppers with black marks

D

dems4me

My Banana Peppers are coming up abundantly and big, but they are getting black almost like skid marks on them. What's causing this? I'm sure it'll taste okay but it doesn't look very appealing. Any suggestions? I've googled it to show a picture and then realized if there was a picture there would probably be suggestions. I couldn't find anything related to banana peppers and brownish/black marks. All I know is they have little purple stripes when they are not ripe but that's not what I'm looking at. Any suggestions? Am I overwatering or overfeeding :shrug: Also lots of mosquitoes or somethign biting me in the garden. What can I put on the garden safely? Also where I live it runs off of well water. What can I put down without worrying about what will get into the well water? :shrug:

D

dems4me

Sharon said:

GREAT sources!!!! The skid marks arnt' really any of these though, mine look just like someone took a paint brush dipped in brown and black paint and lightly striped the pepper. I'll try to get a picture when I get home. :smile: BTW, I've seen lots of little yellow specs around the house (outside). I thought it was pollen but then they move and fly. WTH are these bugs? I was thinking maybe it was little baby gnats - maybe that's what has been eating me up in the garden :shrug:. Also lately saw a few really neat looking little black spiders except it looks the opposite of a black widow. The legs and everything is all back except for the body part, its a bright red with a black mark on its back. Generally, I see them on my rose bushes. Are these okay spiders on roses?
And one more question :huggy: When I take off the peppers, do I cut the stem or do I pull it from the stem? Thanks :huggy: :flowers: :huggy:

Vince

dems4me said:
GREAT sources!!!! The skid marks arnt' really any of these though, mine look just like someone took a paint brush dipped in brown and black paint and lightly striped the pepper. I'll try to get a picture when I get home. :smile: BTW, I've seen lots of little yellow specs around the house (outside). I thought it was pollen but then they move and fly. WTH are these bugs? I was thinking maybe it was little baby gnats - maybe that's what has been eating me up in the garden :shrug:. Also lately saw a few really neat looking little black spiders except it looks the opposite of a black widow. The legs and everything is all back except for the body part, its a bright red with a black mark on its back. Generally, I see them on my rose bushes. Are these okay spiders on roses?
And one more question :huggy: When I take off the peppers, do I cut the stem or do I pull it from the stem? Thanks :huggy: :flowers: :huggy:
Sounds like you need to start spraying you plants around the house.

D

dems4me

Vince said:
Sounds like you need to start spraying you plants around the house.

I was worried about putting chemicals down because it's well water. :shrug: Ive been trying to think of something homeopathic or organic - something natural that would kill bugs.

Vince

dems4me said:
I was worried about putting chemicals down because it's well water. :shrug: Ive been trying to think of something homeopathic or organic - something natural that would kill bugs.
Lots of organic stuff around. Search the threads, this has been brought up before. I use stuff from the store. As long as you follow directions and don't go crazy, you don't put enough out to get down to 400 ft. or however deep your well is. Mine is around 600 ft in the ground. I don't think the amount of spray I use is going that far into the soil. Besides, keep the spray on the plants, not on the ground.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
And one more question :huggy: When I take off the peppers, do I cut the stem or do I pull it from the stem?

Either. I pull. You can cut if you're afraid you might break the branches off the plant.

Ive been trying to think of something homeopathic or organic - something natural that would kill bugs.
I thought that's why you kept the clucking Jazz around. :lol:

D

dems4me

Vince said:
Lots of organic stuff around. Search the threads, this has been brought up before. I use stuff from the store. As long as you follow directions and don't go crazy, you don't put enough out to get down to 400 ft. or however deep your well is. Mine is around 600 ft in the ground. I don't think the amount of spray I use is going that far into the soil. Besides, keep the spray on the plants, not on the ground.

Thanks! The spidesr look a little like this one..

Attachments

• NQRSNQV04QC0QKT04Q6K8QWKRKC0RKEKSK9K5QT0SKO0VQDK8K1KMKVKUQ307K6K4QA09QBKXK.jpg
    NQRSNQV04QC0QKT04Q6K8QWKRKC0RKEKSK9K5QT0SKO0VQDK8K1KMKVKUQ307K6K4QA09QBKXK.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 138
D

dems4me

I think what I have running around are redspotted ant mimics. Something else I'll get a picture of tonight. :lol:

Vince

Go to your local hardware store and find an item called Ortho Dial a Spray. Then just put your chemical in the attached jug, set the dial to the appropriate amout per gal, attach to your hose and voila.....for most critters around the house you can use Malathion. Don't put it on garden plants. For that you can use "Seven."

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Sharon said:
Either. I pull. You can cut if you're afraid you might break the branches off the plant.

I thought that's why you kept the clucking Jazz around. :lol:

:roflmao: She gets in their and has dug up a few plants kicking and scratching. :ohwell: I discovered yesterday my Dahlias were dug up completely from the roots as was a big lima bean plant. Unfortunately, I do have yet one more question... :lol: I have ants on my strawberries (fruits coming up) and thought it was a good thing, then heard it was a bad thing. I bought ant traps. Is this a bad idea? I'm afraid to put them in the garden because it could attract more ants? The strawberries are outside and in the garden, I can not POSSIBLY buy enough ant traps for all of southern maryland. What would you suggest? Use them or pitch them :shrug: Thanks again for all the help you've been this year!!! :huggy: If there's anything in the garden you like, just let me know!!! I have plenty!!!

D

dems4me

Vince said:
Go to your local hardware store and find one of these. Then just put your chemical in the attached jug, set the dial to the appropriate amout per gal, attach to your hose and voila.....for most critters around the house you can use Malathion. Don't put it on garden plants. For that you can use "Seven."

Thanks! :flowers: :love:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Is this what you're talking about?

I had these..they're aphids.

Attachments

• aphids.jpg
    aphids.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 103
dems4me said:
Thanks! The spidesr look a little like this one..

That doesn't look opposite of a black widow. It looks really similar. Does it have longer legs than the one in the picture? If it does, I'd suggest a black widow.

D

dems4me

Speedy70 said:
That doesn't look opposite of a black widow. It looks really similar. Does it have longer legs than the one in the picture? If it does, I'd suggest a black widow.

Yes, longer legs and all black. It's red on the back side of its body, not the abdoman as in a black widow. I was concerned about the red and black friend of jack and realize that its bright red may mean venomous or something. A general nature sort of thing I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dems4me

cattitude said:
Is this what you're talking about?

I had these..they're aphids.

Ick... no. These had long black legs and all black and bigger. These were definately spiders. It didn't seem to afraid by me so I worked around him inspecting for bugs on my rose bush as my new blooms are dying and it didn't seem phased by me or anything. That was the only thing I found on the rose bush. I may be overwatering that too.

Vince

Speedy70 said:
Black widows are very common around here. Place I used to work had pump houses and they always had black widows in them. Had to have them sprayed down a few times a year.