BRAC and Transit in Southern Maryland

gprimr1

Hello

My name is Greg and I am working on a policy paper for the Maryland DOT this summer as part of an internship. We are exploring ways to alleviate congestion. I grew up and my parents still live in Croom. We are worrking on several ideas for releaving congestion in Southern MD since so many people live there and commute to DC.

Idea 1: MARC Service. Trains would run over the Pope's Creek Subdivision initially to Waldorf making stops at Brandywine, Upper Marlboro and Collington before going either to DC or Baltimore. Train service would be directional (going into DC in the morning, out at night). Speed would be 30-50MPH and the trip would take approx 70-80 minutes. Trains would be standard MARC coaches equiped with bathrooms. This is my favorite idea and somewhat of a pet of mine. If the service proved useful, additional speed improvements would follow. Possible service to Mechanicsville in future.

Idea 2: Light rail from waldorf to Branch ave. Track would most likely run in the medium of Route 301/5. The commute would be more direct but would require a transfer at Branch Ave. Light rail would be able to run express but Metro cannot. No direct service to BRAC affected areas.

Idea 3: Additional Commuter Buses.

While this is not an official MDOT interivew, we are writting a policy paper as part of our internship. I, having lived in Croom and Baltimore, see that sometimes the people don't understand how different the needs of commuters are.

If anyone would like to comment on the ideas, we would welcome the information and find it valuable.

Thank you.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'd like to see Metro extended to the PG Equestrian center, and MARC from Newburg all the way up to BWI with a stop at PGEC.

There's no reason MARC can't share the rails to Newburg, which would also give Waldorf the coverage they need.

A Metro stop in Upper Marlboro makes more sense than light rail to Waldorf because it would serve residents of all three SOMD counties, as well as PG and AA.

MARC from PGEC to BWI would also make getting to the airport a lot easier, relieve congestion around the airport, and would allow easy access to AMTRAK and the other MARC lines.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

gprimr1 said:
Hello

My name is Greg and I am working on a policy paper for the Maryland DOT this summer as part of an internship. We are exploring ways to alleviate congestion. I grew up and my parents still live in Croom. We are worrking on several ideas for releaving congestion in Southern MD since so many people live there and commute to DC.

Idea 1: MARC Service. Trains would run over the Pope's Creek Subdivision initially to Waldorf making stops at Brandywine, Upper Marlboro and Collington before going either to DC or Baltimore. Train service would be directional (going into DC in the morning, out at night). Speed would be 30-50MPH and the trip would take approx 70-80 minutes. Trains would be standard MARC coaches equiped with bathrooms. This is my favorite idea and somewhat of a pet of mine. If the service proved useful, additional speed improvements would follow. Possible service to Mechanicsville in future.

Idea 2: Light rail from waldorf to Branch ave. Track would most likely run in the medium of Route 301/5. The commute would be more direct but would require a transfer at Branch Ave. Light rail would be able to run express but Metro cannot. No direct service to BRAC affected areas.

While this is not an official MDOT interivew, we are writting a policy paper as part of our internship. I, having lived in Croom and Baltimore, see that sometimes the people don't understand how different the needs of commuters are.

If anyone would like to comment on the ideas, we would welcome the information and find it valuable.

Thank you.

I like your idea and live near croom (I'm near dogpatch/galant green) and there is not busstops going up 381/brandywine road. I'd have to go clear to waldorf or south to Charlotte Hall to catch any kind of commuter bus and I feel uneasy taking metro at any of the metro stops as most are in southeast or in a rough neighborhood. Its easier just to drive all the way in for me. I would love to take a marc train or bus if 1) it was enroute or within 5-10 miles enroute and 2) if it longer hours. Last bus for Charlotte hall picks up where I work around 6 which only gives me about 15 min. overtime if I'm needed to stay. Its not like I can miss that bus and take another. That is the LAST bus. Good luck with your endeavor!! :clap:

ShyGirl

What about options by boat up to the waterfront area of DC (where Phillips Flagship restaurant is) or to the DC marina?

penguin6

Light rail--ugh.

I think the key in your thinking should not be 'how do we provide transit for those who do not have cars' but 'how do we offer transit that is an attractive alternative for those with cars.'

Light rail is nothing more than slow buses on a dedicated road. If you are going to build rail, make it heavy and fast--express fast. Or build a private buses only road that buses can use.

Do something creative--not dull.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
penguin6 said:
Light rail--ugh.

I think the key in your thinking should not be 'how do we provide transit for those who do not have cars' but 'how do we offer transit that is an attractive alternative for those with cars.'

Light rail is nothing more than slow buses on a dedicated road. If you are going to build rail, make it heavy and fast--express fast. Or build a private buses only road that buses can use.

Do something creative--not dull.
There's still the remnants of the rail bed down to NAS Pax. 2 lines, an express and local or sidings so the express could pass the local might actuall attract riders heading to DC.

I thought "light" rail was passenger service vs cargo

BernieP

Resident PIA
to add to the two previous comments; if you want to attract me, the car owner, to use public transit you are going to have to get it closer then Waldorf or Newburg etc. The further I drive/the closer to DC, the more likely I'm going to drive the remainder of the trip.
One of the biggest turnoffs about Metro is having to drive to Branch Ave only to find there is no parking - after a couple of times I just drive into the city instead of wasting my time looking for a spot only to find none. The majority of my commute is behind me by the time I get to the beltway.

OldHillcrestGuy

The old rail line in St Mary's may not be a option now, the Three Notch Trail has taken it over with the next step to be completed a 2 mile long section in Charlotte Hall to the county line.
A rail line could go as far as Hughesville, but boy oh boy would they have a fight with the Preserve Hughesville people, they would rather look at the old rundown warehouses and building's in town, and that lovely looking house along the bypass, then have change.
I say build another bypass for commuters that would run along beside the railroad tracks on Gallent Green Rd (4 lanes) (Sorry Dems) and have it come out in Brandywine where the tracks cross Brandywine Rd. have a Metro or light rail station in that area. :coffee:

D

dems4me

OldHillcrestGuy said:
The old rail line in St Mary's may not be a option now, the Three Notch Trail has taken it over with the next step to be completed a 2 mile long section in Charlotte Hall to the county line.
A rail line could go as far as Hughesville, but boy oh boy would they have a fight with the Preserve Hughesville people, they would rather look at the old rundown warehouses and building's in town, and that lovely looking house along the bypass, then have change.
I say build another bypass for commuters that would run along beside the railroad tracks on Gallent Green Rd (4 lanes) (Sorry Dems) and have it come out in Brandywine where the tracks cross Brandywine Rd. have a Metro or light rail station in that area. :coffee:

I'm for that. There's railroad tracks that cross Gallant Green already and railroad tracks already up in Brandywine (on 381). I wouldn't mind going to brandywine to get it. I go through Brandywine to get to work :yay: Technically I have a Brandywine zip code. Neighbors have hughsville or waldorf, mine's a brandywine one :lol:

jrt_ms1995

We are exploring ways to alleviate congestion. I grew up and my parents still live in Croom. We are worrking on several ideas for releaving congestion in Southern MD since so many people live there and commute to DC.

The easiest way to relieve congestion would be to eliminate the two stoplights on 5 at Brandywine (Accokeek Rd is one). And for the future condemn the idiotic subdivision they're starting in the southwestern corner of one of these intersections.

2nd most effective congestion relief would be to prohibit buses, any buses but particularly Metro's, from entering DC or the immediate area. Besides the crappy roads, they're the main impediment to traffic flow.

Last edited:

Qurious

Im On 1.
gprimr1 said:
Hello

Thank you.

I am down for all of those ideas.

Having lived in Waldorf for 5 years the congestion has gotten worse and I said bringing the metro down here would work WONDERS for morning commuters.

My only concern would be that of young riff-raff wanting to come from DC down here to start drama.

If your going to make it easier for people to commute in and out of the city, be prepared for the unwanted....and the cops staff would need to increase....

rdkarob

Qurious said:
I am down for all of those ideas.

Having lived in Waldorf for 5 years the congestion has gotten worse and I said bringing the metro down here would work WONDERS for morning commuters.

My only concern would be that of young riff-raff wanting to come from DC down here to start drama.

If your going to make it easier for people to commute in and out of the city, be prepared for the unwanted....and the cops staff would need to increase....

OH MY....QUIROUS DID YOU REALLY SAY THAT!!! YEP ALL THE RIF RAF FROM DC WILL BE HERE BUT THEN AGAIN, IT ALREADY IS...

citysherry

I Need a Beer
ShyGirl said:
What about options by boat up to the waterfront area of DC (where Phillips Flagship restaurant is) or to the DC marina?

I like this idea, is it feasible? Just imagine if there was a gym on the boat, cafe, bar, etc.

gprimr1

"I think the key in your thinking should not be 'how do we provide transit for those who do not have cars' but 'how do we offer transit that is an attractive alternative for those with cars.'"

That is exactly why number 1 is my pet idea and I'm against number 2. My dad refuses to use Metero because it lacks express service and it lacks bathrooms. Now the second one is more commical but they are valid. :) I know that commuters in the area will not give up their cars for a 55mph train that makes a number of stops, then transfers to a Metro which makes alot more stops.

Thank you for your replies so far. We had not thought of a boat.

"Mass transit will bring more undesirable people to Southern Maryland."

MARC is a commuter railroad. If you ride it, you'll notice a majority of riders are buisnessmen and women.

"I'm for that. There's railroad tracks that cross Gallant Green already and railroad tracks already up in Brandywine (on 381). I wouldn't mind going to brandywine to get it. I go through Brandywine to get to work Technically I have a Brandywine zip code. Neighbors have hughsville or waldorf, mine's a brandywine one."

Brandywine has a huge passing sidding right after the wye (where it goes off towards Chalk Point so a station would be doable here. This is probally where they would keep the first train of the night. It would also allow CSX to use the tracks at night.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

gprimr1 said:
"I think the key in your thinking should not be 'how do we provide transit for those who do not have cars' but 'how do we offer transit that is an attractive alternative for those with cars.'"

That is exactly why number 1 is my pet idea and I'm against number 2.

Thank you for your replies so far. We had not thought of a boat.

Too many storms hit at rush hour in the summer time if you go by boat. I've already considered doing that myself :lol: I even figured I could troll for dinner on my way home :lol:

ShyGirl

gprimr1 said:
"I'm for that. There's railroad tracks that cross Gallant Green already and railroad tracks already up in Brandywine (on 381). I wouldn't mind going to brandywine to get it. I go through Brandywine to get to work Technically I have a Brandywine zip code. Neighbors have hughsville or waldorf, mine's a brandywine one."

Don't those tracks go to Baltimore?