Why would a biker do this?

I was just traveling on Rt. 4 in Prince Frederick when a biker came up behind me (I believe it was a Harley), and the dude didn't have a helmet on. I was like WTF? When he passed by me, he had Maryland tags and he was an older guy. I'm assuming he knows the law.

He stood out like a sore thumb. I think he was crazy. Would you do it?

Foxhound

Finishing last
I've seen it before. A guy and lady on a bike with nothing but bandannas on. As a matter of fact it was on rt 4 as well.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I've been known to sneak home frome the grocery store with my helmet in the topcase, but it's all residential, no highway.

Last edited:

Charles

If a cop did stop them, what would happen? Give them a ticket and let them ride on? I wouldn't think so. This could turn out to be a major inconvenience to the biker.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Charles said:
If a cop did stop them, what would happen? Give them a ticket and let them ride on? I wouldn't think so. This could turn out to be a major inconvenience to the biker.
Unlike not wearing your seatbelt or other "safety equipment" violations, no helmet (or non DOT) is a moving vehical violation. Bike stays put till a helmet is on the head.

Spudtrooper

Taking out trailer trash
desertrat said:
Making a statement. Go ahead, give me a ticket, I can afford it.
Well I guess they can afford the funerals too? I have seen alot of nasty pictures of accident scenes where someone wasn't wearing a helmet. Not pretty.

Mikeinsmd

Vince said:
Pa. has a no helmet law and I wouldn't even ride there without a helmet.
:yeahthat:

I've ridden without wayyyyyyy back when there wasn't a law. I was young, dumb and fulla cu....well you know. :lol:

I guess now that I'm older I've realized life is short and everyday above ground is a good day. Why risk losing it over something as simple as being safe? :yay:

Vince

Mikeinsmd said:
:yeahthat:

I've ridden without wayyyyyyy back when there wasn't a law. I was young, dumb and fulla cu....well you know. :lol:

I guess now that I'm older I've realized life is short and everyday above ground is a good day. Why risk losing it over something as simple as being safe? :yay:
:yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pasofever said:
Hear dat APS :popcorn:
:bawl:

Only do it occasionally for the half mile between my house and the grocery store, all residential, 25mph speed limit.

With the wind blowing thru your hair, it feel soooo good, like getting a head massage

Foxhound

Finishing last
If I remember I rode once up in PA without a helmet. Couldn't have been that great cause I barely remember it. Sometimes I feel naked wearing my 1/4 helmet.

I must be getting old I think more about the what ifs, then the what do I look like.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Foxhound said:
If I remember I rode once up in PA without a helmet. Couldn't have been that great cause I barely remember it. Sometimes I feel naked wearing my 1/4 helmet.

I must be getting old I think more about the what ifs, then the what do I look like.
Ran into a frien of mine Saturday, Navy guy that got transferred to Norfolk . He wa on a new Triumph Bonniville. Had a novelty skid lid and was wearing sandels. I chewed him out for both.

Foxhound

Finishing last
LOL. Saw a guy on a cruiser today riding in shorts and sandals! I thought that was a sport bike thing!

On a positive note, I got the yellow mesh jacket the other day. It is a lot cooler (temperature wise) than I thought it would be. I know I have to be more visible now!

leonardtowngal

The law says that you must wear a helmet, it does not say where you have to place it. You could strap it to your leg if you want, you "are wearing a helmet". Have a friend that rides like this and has had several tickets, but it is always thrown out of court, "as he was wearing a helmet" as the law requires.