Water Pressure Tank Problem?

Nupe2

I think I have a problem with my water pressure tank. We are on a well and lately the water flow has been intermittent and there is an audible clicking sound coming from the tank. I think the tank just needs air but I'm not sure if this is a do-it-yourself job. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated, including reliable plumbers (but I'd hate to have to go that route).

Thanks! :yay:

Agee

The tank should have an air fitting on top, like a tire valve. Take a tire gauge and check the pressure at the fitting. You'll need to know the required air pressure level and pump it back-up to that level, if low. See if it maintains that pressure. If not you could have a leaking tank bladder.

The clicking sounds like your pressure regulator cutting in and out trying to maintain pressure. Is the well pump cutting on and off consistent with the clicking?

bkjguy

Live Life to the Fullness
Just happen to us a month ago, sounds like the same thing. Had to replace the water tank. Cost was around $750.00. :huggy:

Mikeinsmd

Airgasm said:
The tank should have an air fitting on top, like a tire valve. Take a tire gauge and check the pressure at the fitting. You'll need to know the required air pressure level and pump it back-up to that level, if low. See if it maintains that pressure. If not you could have a leaking tank bladder.

The clicking sounds like your pressure regulator cutting in and out trying to maintain pressure. Is the well pump cutting on and off consistent with the clicking?
:yeahthat:

Nupe2

Airgasm said:

Thanks Air:

Do I need to drain the tank first? I found this on the web. Does this seem to make sense as a possible repair procedure?

Here is a step by step method to add air to a water tank to stop short cycling of the pump. You'll need a garden hose. That's about it, but read all of these instructions through before starting this project.

1. Use the bathroom and run and save some water into a container for drinking or other purposes (see "Warning, Loss of Pump Prime" below) before starting this procedure, just in case you get into trouble. A few gallons is more than enough for most situations.
2. Turn off electric power to the water pump. Do this at the electric panel if there is not a special switch for the pump located nearer the water pressure tank. Note about the main and other water shutoff valves: you don't have to open or close any other shutoff valves at the tank to follow this procedure. This is great since these shutoffs, seldom used, often don't work anyway. But if the drain valve at the bottom of (or near the bottom of) the water tank is old, stuck, damaged, or otherwise inoperable, you may want to revert to methods #1 or #2 above until you can ask a plumber to replace the drain at the bottom of the pressure tank.
3. Attach a garden hose to the tank drain. The water tank drain valve is usually located at or near the front bottom of the water tank itself, and it looks just like an outdoor or laundry faucet except you have to bend over and fiddle around to get the hose attached since it's down near the floor. The tank drain will always be located at the bottom of the tank. Don't get mixed up with some higher faucet somewhere else or this method won't work. If there is a floor drain near the tank you can simply drain the tank to that drain, but watch out! Often these drains are clogged. Don't have a basement flood; have a garden hose handy to drain to outside if needed.
Run the other end of the garden hose outside and to a location where the end of the hose will be lower than the tank drain. After all eventually we're going to be relying on gravity and water does not run uphill.
4. Open the tank drain faucet. Shortly you should see water running out of the other end of the hose.
5. Let air into the tank. Eventually water will virtually stop running out of the hose. But if all of the fixtures in the building are turned off there may be no easy path for air to flow backwards through the plumbing and into the water tank. So water may still remain in the pressure tank. If you push (gently!) on the water tank you may discover that it still is heavy - containing water. (Don't wiggle the tank all over the place or you might cause a pipe to leak.) Now water is barely running out of the hose because no air can get into the tank. It's like holding a full soda bottle upside down - air has to work to get in past the water gurgling out. In this case air would have to bubble all the way in up through the garden hose. We'll meet our maker before this will ever happen. So here are some ways to get air into the tank, arranged in order of preference:

* Use that Schrader Valve: Once no pressure is left in the tank, since you have a Schrader valve on the tank you can just press the little valve pin in the center of the valve. You might get a little squirt of water. This means the tank is still under pressure. Wait a few minutes then try again. Once there is no pressure in the tank the valve stem will stay pressed down and you'll hear air hissing and bubbling into the tank. Isn't this just the neatest thing? You could speed things along with a bicycle pump but it's not necessary.

* No Schrader valve? or in a hurry? open a plug which might be found on the water tank top or center of the side of the water tank. This works fastest but has several risks: it's hard to get this plug out and in doing so you might jiggle the tank so much you cause a pipe leak nearby. And if you don't have pipe sealant or Teflon tape you may have trouble getting the plug back in and absolutely tight. If the plug leaks you're worse off than before we started. I'd hold this idea in reserve for systems without a Schrader valve.

6. When to stop letting air into the tank - gravity method: Using this "gravity method" you simply let ALL of the water out of the tank. Once air is hissing and bubbling into the tank and water is gurgling out of the garden hose you're nearly home free. Just let it run until nothing is happening. You can't make a mistake since any excess air will be automatically purged later when you run various fixtures.
7. Close the tank drain and remove the garden hose. Also close any other valves or fixtures you may have opened in the building.
Warning about loss of pump prime: in a few instances, draining the water tank can also drain water out of the pump itself - if the pump is inside the building. Some (indoor) water pumps, if drained dry, won't be able to lift water back into the system. Such pumps need to be re-primed. This is a use for that water we told you to run and set aside before beginning your project. Pumps that need to be primed will have a fitting (or a simple pipe plug) atop the water pump housing itself that is opened, and into which pump priming water is poured until this chamber is filled - usually a quart is about enough to refill the pump. This is never a problem with submersible (in-the-well) water pumps.
8. Turn electric power to the pump back on.
9. Check for leaks: Walk calmly back to the water pressure tank and listen and watch for leaks.
10. Water Leaks Found: Is water squirting all over the place?
* It is? Remain calm. It's just water. Humans are mostly made out of water anyway. If the leak is significant, turn off electric power to the water pump, using the switch at the pump ONLY if you're not also standing on a wet floor. If the floor is wet, go to the electric panel and turn the pump off there.
* Water tank drain valve leak: If it's leaking from the tank drain try closing it off more tightly. If it won't stop leaking there you need to turn off the electric power once again and go out to buy a garden hose end-cap to screw over the tank drain so you can use the system while waiting for a plumber to replace the drain valve washer or parts. Don't' forget to get a hose washer to fit inside the garden-hose cap or the cap will leak too.
* Water tank Schrader valve water leak: If water is leaking from the Schrader Valve try just pressing the valve tip down and releasing it a couple of times. This will usually re-seat the valve stem and leaking will stop. If this doesn't work, borrow a valve stem cap from your car and screw it over the Schrader valve end to stop the leak. This will let you use the system until a plumber can replace the valve stem core or replace the valve.
* Other water leaks: if water is leaking from somewhere else you did something I didn't anticipate and you'll need to shut off the system and call me or call a plumber.
11. Air leaks in the plumbing system: Is air hissing out of somewhere?
* Remain calm. We can fix this too. After all, humans breathe air. It's not so bad.
* Schrader valve air leak: if air is leaking out of this valve follow the Schrader valve water leak procedure just above. You might have to jiggle the valve stem a few times or wait a full minute then try again. This almost always works. If not use a tire valve cap to close off the leak as described above.
* Air volume control air leak: If air is hissing out from the air volume control you can almost always stop it by pressing a finger a time or two for a few seconds or more atop the leaking hole. You can find the hole buy simply feeling for where air is squirting out. The back pressure created when you press your finger over the leak will often clean and re-seat the little valve in this device. If this doesn't work you might try just letting the tank fill up with water to see what happens. No big flood is going to occur. If water keeps on leaking out of the tank you'll need to shut off the electric power and call a plumber to replace the valve. (A rare requirement.) I hate these AVC's anyway as they so often are worthless. On my systems if the AVC gives me trouble I take it off and throw it away, screwing a plug into wherever it was mounted. So there!
* Air leaks at plumbing fixtures in the building: using this method we've put a lot of air into the pressure tank. When the pump first comes on some air will be pushed up into the building piping. Don't worry, it won't hurt a thing. But when you first run water at various fixtures some air may come squirting out with the water. This problem will correct itself as soon as you've run a minute or so of water at the offending fixture. Don't worry, it's normal.

Agee

Nupe,

That's alot of reading, I'll take a closer look at it later. You can try pushing the needle valve down on the fitting and see if air or water comes out.

I'm by no means a plumber, but have dealt with saturated/leaky tank bladders in the past. I 'll see what I can find out.

Nupe2

Airgasm said:
Nupe,

That's alot of reading, I'll take a closer look at it later. You can try pushing the needle valve down on the fitting and see if air or water comes out.

I'm by no means a plumber, but have dealt with saturated/leaky tank bladders in the past. I 'll see what I can find out.

Thanks Air - Sorry about the book report! :lol: