South Capitol Bridge closed July 6-->

penguin6

I had a late start today (8:30) but they said PA Avenue was tied up from Southern Avenue to the 11th Street Bridge, and said 295 was a 40 minute trip from the Wilson Bridge. I decided to bail on all options and took Central Avenue/East Capitol (I in Ches Beach so it wasn't that bad of an option) and the road was like Sunday traffic--nothing. Of course it was a bit late but pretty mellow.

My colleague had to drive to Andrews AFB from DC at 9:30. He reported about 1 light's worth of traffic backed up on Suitland at Firth Stirling--not bad considering.

I gather the earlier commuters were hating life today.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
penguin6 said:
I had a late start today (8:30) but they said PA Avenue was tied up from Southern Avenue to the 11th Street Bridge, and said 295 was a 40 minute trip from the Wilson Bridge. I decided to bail on all options and took Central Avenue/East Capitol (I in Ches Beach so it wasn't that bad of an option) and the road was like Sunday traffic--nothing. Of course it was a bit late but pretty mellow.

My colleague had to drive to Andrews AFB from DC at 9:30. He reported about 1 light's worth of traffic backed up on Suitland at Firth Stirling--not bad considering.

I gather the earlier commuters were hating life today.

My commute wasn't too bad. I usually leave home by 6:30, but left this morning at around 6:10. I park at Southern Avenue metro and got there about 1/2 hour earlier than normal. Parked in about the same area I normally do, which tells me more people were taking the train today than normal.

Tomorrow will be busier I'm sure, as Mondays and Fridays are usually lighter. I'm planning on leaving home around 5:45ish.

kalmd

I ride the Keller bus from Charlotte Hall. Caught the bus at 5:44 and we had no problems. Got to work same time as always. Hope it's the same going home. Tomorrow might be worse since lots of people flex on Mondays, so traffic is always lighter.

ohstate

I usually take the Wilson bridge from Alexandria to 295 N to the NRL exit. Today @ 8:30 a.m. traffic was backed up 295N to just before the NRL exit - but the lane for the NRL exit was backed even further - about 1 mile before the exit. I've never seen that before. I guess more people were bailing off 295 early than usual. Most went right towards Bolling at the end of the ramp.

Tomorrow I will try 210N from the beltway and take my shortcut across to the lab.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
I left Mechanicsville at 4AM, got gas and was on Capitol Hill at 5:15. Traffic was nothing. Left Capitol Hill at 3:45PM and returned via Penn. Ave. and got home at 5:00PM. Tomorrow till Sept. I'll be leaving there at 2:00PM. I'm sure everyone and their brother will leave at 2 tomorrow. :jameo:

SeptemberLady

Brown-Eyed Girl
:coffee: Took the 4:15 a.m. Keller bus yesterday, and this morning from Charlotte Hall. No problems. Arrived in my office at 5:30 both days. Line was a bit longer this morning, but attribute that to yesterday being a flex day for some folks. See on the local news that Suitland Parkway and 210 both have traffic backups. Yesterday afternoon was fine....took the 909 from K Street. This evening will be the story. As I can't leave early, I am making some good credit time, which I will definitely need come September!! :yay:

kalmd

We were 15 minutes late this morning, so I guess this will be the normal. Noticed lots of people on our bus who usually catch either 1 before or after. On the 905, every other bus goes to Branch Ave now, so people are avoiding those buses.

Yesterday afternoon, we were about 20 minutes late getting home. I got on a bus that went to Branch Ave metro so that took extra time. All just to pick up 1 person at the Metro.

Hopefully, MTA will see that not a lot of people are doing the Metro thing and they'll do away with it after this week.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
cattitude said:
I had to ride the bus home last night and in this morning. :faint:

And how was it...? :popcorn:

I got to the metro station about 7:15 and it was just as crowded as it was last week when I was getting there around 7:45. Traffic was heavier on Branch Avenue from the Marlow Heights Shopping Center until I turned at Curtis Drive.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
nachomama said:
And how was it...? :popcorn:

I got to the metro station about 7:15 and it was just as crowded as it was last week when I was getting there around 7:45. Traffic was heavier on Branch Avenue from the Marlow Heights Shopping Center until I turned at Curtis Drive.

I got on the 4:17 bus at 19th & K and got to Prince Frederick at 6:35. The driver went all the out PA Avenue. :rolleyes:

This morning I got on the 6:02 out of PF and got here at 8:20. Naylor & Good Hope were hosed so he went all the way in on Suitland to Firth Sterling and then to 395. Normally, I'd have been at my desk between 7:15 - 7:30.

I AM getting a ride home tonight.

Poor Dems...she works later hours, she might as well sleep at her office.

ohstate

ohstate said:
Tomorrow I will try 210N from the beltway and take my shortcut across to the lab.

210N from the beltway was moving (once you got past the mess of people trying to get on the beltway towards the WW). There were firetrucks and ambulances headed toward Alexandria on the Bridge, so I expect things did not get any better. I left the house at 8:10 and was at my desk at 8:30. I do not miss my old 60 mile commute from Lusby at all.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
cattitude said:
I got on the 4:17 bus at 19th & K and got to Prince Frederick at 6:35. The driver went all the out PA Avenue. :rolleyes:

This morning I got on the 6:02 out of PF and got here at 8:20. Naylor & Good Hope were hosed so he went all the way in on Suitland to Firth Sterling and then to 395. Normally, I'd have been at my desk between 7:15 - 7:30.

Poor Dems...she works later hours, she might as well sleep at her office.
Yikes! I definitely feel for you!! :huggy:

I took PA Ave. into the district Saturday and down Constitution. I hadn't been in the district since last year, but was actually quite surprised that there was no traffic. Then again, this wasn't during weekday commuting hours either.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:
Yikes! I definitely feel for you!! :huggy:

I took PA Ave. into the district Saturday and down Constitution. I hadn't been in the district since last year, but was actually quite surprised that there was no traffic. Then again, this wasn't during weekday commuting hours either.

We have been driving in again and the way we go, we don't have any problems unless there's an accident. But I don't like to drive into DC :crazy: so if I'm going it alone, I take the bus.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
cattitude said:

:faint: Exactly the reason why I stopped taking the bus. :huggy:

Sparx

kalmd said:
We were 15 minutes late this morning, so I guess this will be the normal. Noticed lots of people on our bus who usually catch either 1 before or after. On the 905, every other bus goes to Branch Ave now, so people are avoiding those buses.

Yesterday afternoon, we were about 20 minutes late getting home. I got on a bus that went to Branch Ave metro so that took extra time. All just to pick up 1 person at the Metro.

Hopefully, MTA will see that not a lot of people are doing the Metro thing and they'll do away with it after this week.

I haven't been on a bus stopping at the Metro yet, is the one Metro person per bus the same in anyone elses experience? I hope they stop that as well, at least not every other bus. I know we're early in the experience but it does load up the non-Metro-stop buses quickly.