For all those who accused me of Campaigning

R

residentofcre

I got a red karma in another thread when I was just doing a public service announcement. so I really did start campaigning.... since it's only a local election and I spent my whole campaign "budget" on the warning fliers.. I guess this will have to do....

Here goes.... I invite any CRE Resident to ask me any question they have....

Oh... to start... the fliers I was handing out over the weekend had nothing to do with my candidacy.... they were about the fact that if you tossed the ballot it might just cost you $109.... It was a public service... not a campaign.

Those who remember my campaigning for Commissioner know I would have put my picture or my email address on it if I were campaigning... but I didn't. I put my name only... because I think everyone should sign their own work.

R

residentofcre

The following information is based on the Research collected from Maryland Department of Taxation and Assessment using the Index and Maps Prepared by the CRE Mapping Committee January 1992 as a guideline.

How many lots are in CRE?

Number of Lots identified within CRE 5150

Number of Lots identified within CRE Commonly Owed 498

Number of Lots Identified within CRE Billable 4652

How many houses are there in CRE?

Number of Lots Identified within CRE Member Owned 4652

Number of Unimproved Lots within CRE 1113

Number of Improved Lots within CRE 3539

How many revised lots are there in CRE?

Number of revised Lots within CRE 483

How many of these houses are Primary residences?

Number of Improves Lots designated as Primary Residence 2912

How many people purchased land in CRE each year?

Prior to 1981 332 1982 10 1983 13 1984 30
1985 17 1986 27 1987 52 1988 60 1989 128 1990 138 1991 117 1992 123 1993 142 1994 119 1995 116 1996 146 1997 126 1998 119 1999 126 2000 162 2001 187 2002 270 2003 324 2004 484 2005 567 2006 550 2007 135 1st qtr

The following information is based on Research collected from the Architectural Review Committee Yearly Reports.

For the period 2001 through 2006 Architectural Review has approved the following:

Homes 487

Additions 88

Carports 24

Decks 310

Docks 10

Fences 453

Garages 169

Hangars 6

Pools 31

Sheds 330

Sunrooms 21

Others 407

Revisions 113

Extensions 156

ATF 248

The following information is based on the Research collected from Maryland Department of Taxation and Assessment using the Index and Maps Prepared by the CRE Mapping Committee January 1992 as a guideline.

What is the value of the Commonly Owned Lots?

Combined Assessment of the Commonly Owned Lots $7,316,084.00

Recommendations:

1. First and foremost it is recommended that the Commonly Owned lots be moved to Open Lot status to protect the Association funds.

The Calvert County Treasurer’s Office was contacted upon completion of this research. According to the Office of the Treasurer the Association will be taxed at the full assessed value as posted on the web site, which is update three times weekly, at the rate of 1.004%.

This amount $7,316,084.00/100=$73,160.84 X1.004=$73,453.48 should be placed on the budget in place of the amount currently posted there. Any adjustments necessary to balance the budget should be noted as pending to be returned to the budget once these lots are moved to open space and the real tax amount is reduced to an appropriate value.

It should be noted that once land is moved to Open Space it is no longer buildable.
This is the equivalent of 345 M&O fees

2. Beginning July1, 2007, a transfer fee of not less than $50.00 should be billed to the buyer at each settlement.

This is standard as are other fees such as the fee for researching the balance due and any liens pending on any properties at settlement.

For the period January 2000 through December 2006 there were 2544 transfers of deed. That is an average of 363 transfers per year.

363 X $50.00 = $18,150.00

This is the equivalent of 85 M&O fees

3. The transfer funds should be split to fund employee wage increases and training, office supplies and equipment.

Some time ago several members of the Board became aware that management had been receiving regular raises while employees who were entrusted with the majority of the orientation of the 2679 transfers of deed since January 2000.

It is recommended that for the period of the next 2 years any transfer fees collected should be split 50/50 for a wage increase for non-supervisory administrative employees who were instrumental in the orientation of new property owners.

The remainder should be utilized for office supplies and equipment. This might include training.

4. A user fee should be associated with all submittals to the Architectural Review Committee.

The Following are suggested fees to show potential income.

Homes 487 X $250.00 = $121,750.00

Additions 88 X $100.00 = $8,800.00

Carports 24 X $50.00 = $1,200.00

Decks 310 X $25.00 = $7,750.00

Docks 10 X $50.00 = $500.00

Fences 453 X $25.00 = $11,325.00

Garages 169 X $50.00 = $8,450.00

Hangars 6 X $50.00 = $300.00

Pools 31 X $25.00 = $775.00

Sheds 330 X $25.00 = $8,250.00

Sunrooms 21 X $100.00 = $2,100.00

Others 407 X $50.00 = $20,350.00

Revisions 113 X $25.00 = $2,825.00

Extensions 156 X $25.00 = $3,900.00

ATF 248 X $50.00= $12,400.00

$210,675.00/ 6 years = $35,112.50/year average

This is the equivalent of 165 M&O fees

This income should be used to offset the administrative costs of the personnel including the costs of the engineer.

5. Finally, there has been some discussion about charging an M&O for each lot.

According to the Research:

Howlin Realty 39 Unimproved Lots
RMJ 30
Quality Built 26
William Mulcher 13
C&B 9

The cost of increased tax assessment, combined with added cost of M&O fee might cause these builders to either build on these lots to unload them bringing more homes into the Association, or combine lots wherever possible cutting the road fees.

In addition, multiple lot owners, with one improved lot and one unimproved lot adjoining, would be forced to combine lots to save the cost of the M&O which would also cost the Association the Road Fee.

Therefore, it is recommended that the Association pursue the collection of an M&O fee from each improved lot. Multiple lot owners with more than one improved lots are for the most part receiving an income from those lots, which will help them offset the cost of the increase. During the research for this report 121 improved lots were identified to fall into this category. These lots are owned by 39 members.

While this research is not the golden goose in that it does not show how to double the income of the Association. There is a possibility of matching the funding of approximately 595 M&O fees by saving real property taxes and introducing user fees.

6. It is recommended that every Board Member, Staff Member, and Association Member take a few moments to consider ways to shave costs so that the M&O can be more about Maintenance and less about Operations.

This document has a potential impact of over $5,000 on the 2008 Budget.

That's part of the plan I have been talking about

Midnightrider

tax tax and more tax.....

WTF, i mean seriously, this is supposed to be a home owners assosciation, not a business, or a local government.

why should you be allwoed to levy taxes against anyone?

As memebrs we already pay plenty, we should have to pay any extra fees to add a deck or an addiditon to our homes.
What is the M&O fee for if it doesn't cover these costs?

R

residentofcre

Midnightrider said:
tax tax and more tax.....

WTF, i mean seriously, this is supposed to be a home owners assosciation, not a business, or a local government.

why should you be allwoed to levy taxes against anyone?

As memebrs we already pay plenty, we should have to pay any extra fees to add a deck or an addiditon to our homes.
What is the M&O fee for if it doesn't cover these costs?

I proposed these fees instead of raising the M&O fee.

It seems to me that those you use the Administrative Staff should be the ones paying for their time....

The only time I use their time is once a year when I get my decal and that 10 minutes should be covered in my M&O fee. Why should I be paying for someone to get a house built or someone who wants to put in a fence?

The other HOA's in the area charge a fee for setting up a new account... we didn't until I said something... It takes time to go over all the paperwork properly and explain to someone about all the amenities. Why should I pay for that over and over and over again? Why not follow the lead of the other HOA's across the country and charge an admin fee? It's legal and it's a one time charge.... and it would cut some of the operations cost and allow us to spend more money on maintenance....

In my opinion CRE has been making stupid mistakes like this for a long time and if we clean up the stupid mistakes we won't need to raise the fees this year!

SamSpade

I was perusing through the newsletter because I was a homeowner way back when the STD was first dropped on us (since we never got a chance to challenge it). That was when CREPO came in and (wisely) took down the gates and eliminated several pointless expenses - and many of the costs were thoroughly addressed because at least for a short while, homeowners were showing up in droves at the meetings.

We were still told that the STD would be a five year plan. I was still there when the second STD popped in, because somehow very few of the benchmarks for the previous five years had been met.

What I found most amusing was that the STD is being used to resurface roads that were supposedly resurfaced during the period of previous STD's. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this situation is never going to go away, because if they're resurfacing the same roads every 10 years, they'll never finish. Never. They will be taking money to fix the same thing repeatedly while making marginal improvements elsewhere - which will require fixing AGAIN in ten years. We have roads in developments around the southern part of Calvert that have survived without needing constant fixing.

Can someone explain to me why White Sands and Drum Point can take care of their own without charging M&O, Roads and STD fees?

This_person

residentofcre said:

It seems to me that those you use the Administrative Staff should be the ones paying for their time....

The only time I use their time is once a year when I get my decal and that 10 minutes should be covered in my M&O fee. Why should I be paying for someone to get a house built or someone who wants to put in a fence?

The other HOA's in the area charge a fee for setting up a new account... we didn't until I said something... It takes time to go over all the paperwork properly and explain to someone about all the amenities. Why should I pay for that over and over and over again? Why not follow the lead of the other HOA's across the country and charge an admin fee? It's legal and it's a one time charge.... and it would cut some of the operations cost and allow us to spend more money on maintenance....

In my opinion CRE has been making stupid mistakes like this for a long time and if we clean up the stupid mistakes we won't need to raise the fees this year!
Here's a thought. Maybe the HOA should take care of the roads, lakes, etc., and leave people's homes up to them. Then, there would be no need for the Administrative Staff's attention?

Midnightrider

residentofcre said:

if thats all the M&O fees are for then they should be reduce to about $4/year. Thats about all i am willing to pay a secratery to hand me a freaking pass for my car.

Beckytice said:

the other HOA's in the area aren't taking in millions of dollars in fees, ours is. we dont need any more fees, just people who are more diligent and smarter with the money they already get.

The roads budget is a good example..... They list somewhere around 700K as the budget, with ~500K in salaries. WTF, we are paying almost all of the money out in slalries, how are the roads supposed to get fixed, there is no money left to buy materials!!!

Its called mismangament.

Toxick

Splat
What is the benefit of living there anyway?

As far as I know, it's not a closed community any more, although they have a single security vehicle patrolling, what, 500 square miles?

You get access to a lake that I wouldn't let my dog swim in.

The roads look jackhammered.

You can't put up a fence, paint your house, put up a sign, add to your house, make a deck, get a pool, or do pretty much anything to your own property without someone else's approval.

And for all this you get to pay exorbitant fees ... which appear to be going nowhere but up.

There has to be an upside to all this.... right? Cause right now about the only positive thing I can think of to say about CRE is: "At least Great Mills Road doesn't run through it".

Pete

Repete
Toxick said:

As far as I know, it's not a closed community any more, although they have a single security vehicle patrolling, what, 500 square miles?

You can't put up a fence, paint your house, put up a sign, add to your house, make a deck, get a pool, or do pretty much anything to your own property without someone else's approval.

And for all this you get to pay exorbitant fees ... which appear to be going nowhere but up.

There has to be an upside to all this.... right? Cause right now about the only positive thing I can think of to say about CRE is: "At least Great Mills Road doesn't run through it".
crack is cheaper?

Midnightrider

Toxick said:

The lake is actually pretty nice, and the health department tests it just like other public swimming areas.
But i dont swim in it in the summer becasue it gets a hot layer on top that is just gross to feel.

other than that, your right great mills doent run though it.

SamSpade

Toxick said:

At the time I bought my house - I had a small 3 BR 1000 sf house with a garage on a paved street on a third of an acre -- for 94,000. With an adjustable, my mortgage payments were around 600/month, and this was in the 90's. The gates were still there (although they were more of a *nuisance* than anything else) and we actually still had the GOLF COURSE and SWIMMNG POOL. Housing WAS cheap there, but I don't think it is anymore.

I have to say this much - the fees haven't changed much. They must be doing something different if the fees haven't increased much if at all in 10 years.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
I don't understand why we are paying 2 hundred and some odd K on security that don't do a damn thing.

Becky I'm sorry but if thats your idea of not having an increase in Fees then you have not thought hard enough. I really think we have way too many employees for a community sometimes. Hell waldorf the cost of a community association is about 400 a year about what we pay now but they have a community pool, all common areas grass are cut and landscaping done pretty regularly and there are no extra fees unless your renting a community amenity.

This just makes no sense why we are having more and more fees. Maybe we have too many PHD's on the board that don't understand that not every homeowner in the association makes 200k a year or such.

R

residentofcre

This_person said:
Here's a thought. Maybe the HOA should take care of the roads, lakes, etc., and leave people's homes up to them. Then, there would be no need for the Administrative Staff's attention?

That is sort of what I'm getting at. There is so much administration there isn't any money for maintenance.

Take for example the time spent for passing out parking passes at the beaches. If someone wants to have a party at the beach and they need five parking passes then charge them for it.... In Virginia Beach, it you have a decal you park for free... without a decal you pay to park... just that simple...

Why pay for admin when we need to be paying for maintenance... and.... there is a lot of wasted space in that building....Here's a thought... why don't we move the administrative offices down into the building across from the clubhouse and rent out the office space in the administrative building to small home business or crafters.... then that building could be paying for itself. If they want to put in a fitness center... put it there....

They didn't want me to campaign... because I know what I'm doing...

This_person

residentofcre said:
That is sort of what I'm getting at. There is so much administration there isn't any money for maintenance.

Take for example the time spent for passing out parking passes at the beaches. If someone wants to have a party at the beach and they need five parking passes then charge them for it.... In Virginia Beach, it you have a decal you park for free... without a decal you pay to park... just that simple...

Why pay for admin when we need to be paying for maintenance... and.... there is a lot of wasted space in that building....Here's a thought... why don't we move the administrative offices down into the building across from the clubhouse and rent out the office space in the administrative building to small home business or crafters.... then that building could be paying for itself. If they want to put in a fitness center... put it there....

They didn't want me to campaign... because I know what I'm doing...
You missed my point. Don't hand out the parking passes. don't worry if someone is putting on a deck or a putting in a pool. don't get involved in everyone else's business. Keep the beaches clean, turn the roads over to the county, put pretty flowers at the entrances, and cut your costs significantly. If you MUST have parking passes to get to the beaches, you're right, pay for 'em there. Or, look at people's driver's licenses to let 'em in (if it isn't a CRE address, they don't get to go in unless the car in front of 'em says, 'yeah, they're with me')

Midnightrider

This_person said:
You missed my point. Don't hand out the parking passes. don't worry if someone is putting on a deck or a putting in a pool. don't get involved in everyone else's business. Keep the beaches clean, turn the roads over to the county, put pretty flowers at the entrances, and cut your costs significantly. If you MUST have parking passes to get to the beaches, you're right, pay for 'em there. Or, look at people's driver's licenses to let 'em in (if it isn't a CRE address, they don't get to go in unless the car in front of 'em says, 'yeah, they're with me')
thye really think this is the government of POACRE. all it is supposed to be is a homeowners association, not a carreer for bored housewives and retirees